Single Socket Gems

I recently returned to POE to discover that there are now rings which offer a single socket. Obviously, no linking or synergy is possible when putting a gem in a ring.

So what gems are good standing alone in a ring, or just in a spare socket left in other equipment? These need to get a good proportion of their value proposition without support gems.

The two I have found so far are:

Arctic Armor -- Its main downside is the mana support, but once you have that, it doesn't need anything in the way of support gems.

Decoy Totem -- Works pretty well even without support gems, and if you are not otherwise using a totem, may help keep the mobs off.

some vaal gems can be alright without support I find. sure, inc duration is pretty beneficial for many of them but if you find yourself lacking sockets, it is better than nothing :)

oh and portal. I pretty much always have a portal gem out of lazyness... I hate having to open my inventory to cast a portal, wish I could just bind the scrolls to a button!
I use a lightning warp gem as a single link skill for opening strongboxes. You don't want it to cast too quickly. You want to hit lightning warp at a spot further away and have time to open the strongbox just before you warp away. I find that if linking with reduced duration and fast cast, it's too fast and quite annoying.

For a ranger, blink arrow is the same thing. Single link is best.
Curses work find as stand alone gems. Smoke mine for lock boxes. Convocation for summoners or movement skills if your not in to much of a hurry.
that is a good point for lightning warp, never thought of that, I always linked it with fast cast and red dur to get around quicker but good idea using it on its own for opening boxes. cheers :)
Arctic Armour

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info