BM 2H Big Physical Bigger AoE Ground Slam guide [1.3 Torment]

Hello fellow exiles and welcome to my first guide. One of my first characters I ever played in PoE was a 2H BM ground slam marauder, after almost 2 years I felt it was time to make another ^_^
I don’t feel like this build is very unique, it is definitely nothing new. So think of this as more of an updated version and my adaptation.
I’m currently level 82. I can currently run any level map with relative ease. Can run 73 and lower maps while using item rarity instead of concentrated effect. My ground slam is only 5 link so there is still a lot of room for this build to be stronger. I have not tried yet but believe it is Atziri viable with the right gear. I will post more about that after I get to test it.
Why?

Ground slam is a strong melee skill with many possibilities. It comes with built in range and AoE. It is also easy to level with and can be done on a tight budget, so works well for new players. If you have currency to dump into the gear you can push the power.
I choose all physical to maximize life leech. The more physical you put out the more you leech back. There is also a large amount of great physical nodes on the way to the keystones and other important nodes you will take.
Blood Magic is the easiest way to get rid of mana woes. While I may be losing out on a little life while wearing 2 auras I have very little survivability issues.
BM is paired with a fair amount of life regen so you never have to worry about what your links are or how fast you attack, you will be able to support any 6 link combination with no problem.
Once you get this rolling it is EZ mode. If you want to manipulate mechanics and have a lot of keystroke play then this is probably not going to thrill you. You will walk into almost everything, right click, it dies.

Mechanics

Blood magic – No mana problems
Resolute technique – Never miss. We’re not stacking crit, so go for constant damage and life steal
Unwavering stance – We don’t plan for evasion gear, so we are only losing our base %5 chance to dodge. Well worth never being stunned, this would become a problem late game
Increased AoE – While ground slam is a melee skill it is also considered an AoE. This will make your hit radius enormous and allow you to use concentrated effect and still cover half the screen
Endurance charges – I love endurance charges. This build runs 2 CWDT to keep them up. (And auto curse) I took a max of 5 but you can probably get away with 4 if you want. We also take the %0.2 life regen per charge from the tree, so they serve a triple purpose. (Damage reduction, life regen while charges are up, longer Immortal Call)
Executioner node – Will increased your damage by %20 to enemies on low life (%35 or less life)
*** Please note: If you are planning to play mostly solo then the “Skull Cracking” node located in the wheel below resolute technique may be good for you. I purposely avoided taking this for group play. There is usually someone with an MF culler and to take that node would simply conflict and end up costing you a lot of IIR / IIQ ***

Pros&Cons

Pros:
- Good DPS
- Great survivability
- Cheap to start
- Great clear speed
- Seems to only get stronger as you go, I had no drop off in map ability
- Reflect isn't a problem
Cons:
- Play can get repetitive, you will mostly just hold right mouse down
- Until you have a large enough life pool can only run 1 aura
- Can’t do no regen maps
- Large amounts of chaos damage will still hurt unless you can gear for it (which you can, will just cost)

Stats

Without buffs

---
With buffs

*None of my skills are level 20 yet, so the dps still has room to grow*

Bandits

I took
oak>oak>oak
However in torment you could probably opt out of oak in merciless and take the extra point. If you opt out of the 5th endurance charge you can lower the level on your higher CWDT

Gear

You will be fine with a 4 link while leveling but will need to make the jump to 5 link when you start to get into maps. Marohi Erqi is amazing for this build and you can get a 5 link for 1.5-2ex last I checked. I would use a rare with good attack speed until you get enough from the tree to make the jump to Marohi. You can wing it with a rare if needed you will just have a little less radius.
Meginord's Girdle is pretty cheap and great for this build.
The rest is typical stacked armour, life, resistance and attributes
Flasks

Keep 2 unfreeze flask and make sure you have at least one bleed. Atziri's Promise is too good to pass up for 1-2c, especially if you have low chaos res.

Gems

Marohi
ground slam - multistrike - melee physical - conc effect - faster attacks

Quality on ground slam is 1.5% increased Stun Duration per 1 quality. If you have it there is no hurt but it’s not necessary for this. The quality on faster attacks, multistrike and melee physical are pretty nice though and I recommend getting as high of quality as you can.
---
Chest
static strike - melee physical - added fire damage - multistrike - faster attacks

Quality on heavy strike is +0.75% increased Attack Speed per 1 quality. Will help your single target dps to get. When I get to 5 link I will add faster attacks.
---
CWDT (lvl 11) - enduring cry - immortal call - extended duration
CWDT (lvl 1) - enduring cry - vulnerability - extended duration

With 5 charges I found this to be the best. Our high level is 1350 damage taken, low level is 440. In a perfect world that means we proc enduring cry 4 times before IC. I have no problem keeping 4-5 charges all the time, although more commonly 4 because burst damage will proc IC.
---
reduced mana - herald of ash - hatred - leap slam

Use Brightbeak as your swap weapon for using leap slam very fast
I switched from heavy strike to static strike because the knockback was annoying to me

Videos

Running through a 73 map - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bhkByMh66a4

Q&A

None yet

Please feel free to leave feedback or critiques.
If you want to ask me anything or map IGN: QuentinTormentino

*updates*
1-25-15: updated gear, gems, tree changes and added a video
BM 2H Big Physical Bigger AoE Ground Slam guide [1.3 Torment] - http://www.pathofexile.com/forum/view-thread/1174531
Last edited by Weism on Jan 25, 2015, 9:30:56 AM
Im interested in this i would love to see some videos of it in action. I think im going to give it a go as this looks like the best groundslam build in the list hahaa. I do love groundslam though since the new animation came in.

Edit: Plus just a suggestion i think you should add a list of very useful uniques you could possibly use or different alternatives to rares just for the new players.
Last edited by Rovian on Jan 19, 2015, 6:40:13 PM
-rip-
Last edited by Warcus on Jun 17, 2015, 6:57:21 PM
Loving this build so far nearlly level 60 and it has just cleared everything with ease.
I will update some of the info as asked and add a video or two of some maps and how I play it tomorrow... It's 6 am and I have a fierce cold so will have to wait til after I sleep. Thank you for all the feedback.
BM 2H Big Physical Bigger AoE Ground Slam guide [1.3 Torment] - http://www.pathofexile.com/forum/view-thread/1174531
"
Weism wrote:
I will update some of the info as asked and add a video or two of some maps and how I play it tomorrow... It's 6 am and I have a fierce cold so will have to wait til after I sleep. Thank you for all the feedback.

Awesome would love to see some level 80+ gameplay. I decided to use belly of beast for now im still tweaking bits of the gear and stuff. I just hit level 63 i have 14k DPS and it just owns everything so far hahaa.

Great build loving it.

EDIT: Aswell im sure sapphire pyre ring which converts all the cold damage of hatred into fire and plus 30%+ Increased burning damage it just makes herald of ash so strong! :) + it has duel resists just no stats thats all :(
Last edited by Rovian on Jan 23, 2015, 8:29:36 AM
"
Rovian wrote:

Awesome would love to see some level 80+ gameplay. I decided to use belly of beast for now im still tweaking bits of the gear and stuff. I just hit level 63 i have 14k DPS and it just owns everything so far hahaa.

Great build loving it.

EDIT: Aswell im sure sapphire pyre ring which converts all the cold damage of hatred into fire and plus 30%+ Increased burning damage it just makes herald of ash so strong! :) + it has duel resists just no stats thats all :(

Nice I like both ideas. Let me know what kind of HP you get to with belly. Hopefully it keeps face rolling for you into maps :)
This guy has no dicky BUT his build is good and I mapped with him. Oldschool high sustain could even be modified but not to much for hardcore.
My gear so far.

With the pyre ring i decided to put increased burning damage makes herald of ash pretty strong

And i have 3.8K hp so far aint gone into all hp nodes yet level 71 btw. 16.711k DPS

And also get vaal cyclone in your build seriously helps a lot with the slow movement speed
Im using vaal cyclone + Vaal ground slam = gets them close and smash them with 3 stacks of vaal ground slam its pretty fun :)
Last edited by Rovian on Jan 27, 2015, 8:05:24 AM
By the way i have some questions

Using abyssus?
doryani's Invitation belt/ tri res + phys damage

Whats some more expensive gear to work towards what works well?

I mean my resists are pretty much maxed so this build has a lot of wiggle room to change gear around im just trying to think of different options to max dps and life and such.

Or should i just aim for finding better rares if so

What affix/suffix are we aiming towards on each piece of gear just things to add into the build :)

Now nearly level 73 18k DPS Smashes through everything so far

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info