[1.3] MorgNThorg's crit sceptre + shield HoA prolif build

Main idea
The general idea is nothing new: generating high overkill damage through high damaging critical hits and proliferating it to nearby enemies. Since crit sceptre builds took quite a hit with the passive tree changes in 1.3, it's not a 80-90% crit strike chance build, but in most cases you only need 1 critical hit to burn the whole screen which you will get anyway in 2-3 tries.

Pro/con

+ cheap
+ quite fun to play
+ cool clear speed
+ can do nearly any maps (except -max combined with ele ref, and ofc blood magic)

- can take big hits
- mostly for solo play

Bandit choices
Oak, Oak, Oak

Stats
5K life
500 shield
25k dps without charges (29k with 4 charges) in 5L
37.9% crit chance (51.2% with charges, 61.1% with charges + cursed enemy)
10k armor
6 endurance charges

Gearing

Key item in the build. You can skip it if you have an insane weapon and a 6L, but damage wise it is just too good :) I wanted to make a crit build around this item, because it's usually quite cheap even on legaue starts and boosts dps by a LOT (of course it has it's downsides...). Thanks to the huge flat phys dmg and the huge melee crit multi your clear speed will be very good even in 4L. (I was doing 74-75 maps regularly before obtaining my 5L).
In order to deal with it's downside the build utilizes high armor with 6 endurance charges and a 10 seconds long immmortal call.

There are many cool attributes on this weapon for this build:
- nice phys dps
- insane elemental dmg increase (good for the base dmg, as well the burning)
- global crit chance
- elemental leech
- built in L20 elemental proliferation gem

The main downside is that it's missing the local increased crit strike chance attribute. I will sure try however this beauty when the character will be merged to standard:

This is not an aegis build, other shileds can be used as well, but it still offers good survability with 55% block and 14% spell block. It also look very cool :)

Nice defensive amulet. It can be swapped for Stone of Lazhwar for high spell damage bosses.

No brainer with aegis. Spell block won't be high with only this item bossting it, but 14% is something and it's also good for reckoning.

Cheap and good item, but can be swapped for a very good rustic with high armor, life and resists.

My gear

Skill gems

I find static strike the best for this build. It's clearly better then molten strike since it's projectiles doesn't benefit from melee modifiers (e.g. crit multi on abyssus), while static strike's explosion does. Tried infrenal blow as well, it was quite good also, but static is simply better both single target both AoE wise. It's also safer on reflect. I'm planning to use added fire as a 6th gem when I obtain my 6L.

Typically it's used with reduced mana instead of increased AoE, but I really like this setup. It's in the catalyst of course.

I manually cast enduring cry to maintain my charges.

Quite long (10s) immortall call on demand. Molten shell is a nice addition and looks cool :)

Very good skill even with mediocre block chance. If it crits it can also trigger the burning process. Quite awesome against titty bithes. Also helps a lot on temp chains maps.

Utility and cursing.

Some extra block chance in the 6th socket in my body armor. I would replace the PCoC in the reckoning's links if I obtain a 6L.

Atziri
The build can kill Atziri (normal version). After a few incentive rounds I usually cleared the area deathless. Gear swaps for boss fights:
I usually swap my cold flask for this one for the whole area:

Vaals - nothing
Trio - swap CwDT for a blood magic gem and manually cast IC (preferred kill order is titty bitch, cycloner, dual striker)
Atziri - swap my auras for PoL+PoF+HoA, anvil for stone and aegis for saffel's.

Gameplay video
Nothing special, just a short map run to show the feel of the build. I also encountered a unique beyond mob at 0:50 :) Sorry for the laggy video, I'm quite a noob in such things. I will try and make another with better quality later.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=thFZ1B9mAyw
Last edited by MorgNThorg on Dec 29, 2014, 10:28:13 AM
I'd try something like this. Slightly less life ( can get way more) and gets way, way more damage and block by going into the duelist area. I do realize that it's a pretty huge respec but it's worth it.
For try, for see, and for know.

This is a buff
Ty for the feedback, interesting idea. I was also thinking on going to the duelist, but on another route, from solidity. On that route I can also take the bloody bludgeon and the bloodless passives, and maybe skip the whole scion life wheel.

Another thing I'm thinking on, is to take elemental equlibrium. My main elemental damage source is lighning, while burning is fire. If I get a lucky first hit I would benefit from the -50 fire res without any drawback. Otherwise the hit damage will be lowered thus the burning also, but the -50 would help anyway. I wonder if it would work differently if I can link added fire to static strike as well. Then would EE alternate between fire and lightning?
Last edited by MorgNThorg on Dec 29, 2014, 2:28:22 PM

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info