Staff RT Cyclone - Atziri Viable (Torment League) + Video

I have seen to many qq threads about melee so I decided to share this fun and powerful build with others. I've played melee in Rampage and Ambush and I will play it in next leagues for sure. There's no fun in killing mobs from distance.

You want to play melee but you don't know how, here are some tips:
- You need armour (lots of it)
- You need high life (5k+ for end game)
- You need Unwavering (so you can facetank leapers like everyone should)
- You need 2H weapon for dmg (you can buy 400+dps for like 3 chaos)
- You need positive chaos resistance (so you can run blood rage)

My current tree(lvl 87 - torment)
Spoiler

http://www.pathofexile.com/passive-skill-tree/AAAAAgEBAecEswUtB3UJlhQgFE0U9hZvGJEY1xo4Gj4aVRynIVUkiySqJyAnLykuLPs26DbpOQ46nTwFPC09Dz38QXJHfkouUEdTpVWpVw1YY1nzXhNfP2BLYSFko2VNZp5qAXKpdO12rHrvfLh82X31ggeCm4TZhO-GO4dqiiKMz5BVkGyRzpd5l7SaO57Nn8uf36IApzCnpaknqZSsqrvtvJq8n702vqfAGsBmwKbE9sauxtjPftIh1YvcPeNq5FHqGOw47UTvDu988azyQfZI9zL46_rS_Es=

Tree is probably not perfect but it works for now. I will try to improve it as I lvl up.

For leveling I used sweep, it's pretty powerful, especially with use of leap slam and curse on hit.
While leveling first thing you need is Resolute Technique, you don't want to miss mobs. It's annoying with 1,15 APS. While leveling go to life and chaos resist near Templar side. Later go for Iron reflexes and Unwavering, when you get only armour gear you can respec IR into more armour nodes. After you get high life regen and high level of blood magic you can start cycloning around.
4-link Cyclone-Blood Magic-Concentrated effect-Melee Phys
5-link Cyclone-Blood Magic-Concentrated effect-Melee Phys-Faster attacks or Added fire
6-link Cyclone-Blood Magic-Concentrated effect-Melee Phys-Faster attacks-Added fire

Bandits:
Help Oak
Kill all
Kill all (Help Oak if you think you need one more endurance charge)

Here is my current gear and price I paid for it:
Spoiler

Self found, spent 1000 alts and 10-15 regals to craft, dps suck but it's free 6L. I will try to craft it better later. You don't need it, you can buy 400+ dps and 5 link it very cheap.

Also self found.

8 chaos, 200 jewellers for 6S and 50 fusings for 5L. You don't need these sockets at all, you just need 1,8k+ armour, high life and some resists you are missing. I use this defensive gems but I don't really see good point in it, probably going to use it for something else.

2 chaos, high armour, high life added mana leech for sweep, now I don't need it :)

5 chaos, corrupted belt, very good, high life, high armour

4 chaos, high life, high armour

5 chaos, need int and dex

self found, ideal for chaos dmg reduction

5 chaos, need int and dex to

You need 1 granite flask, 2 instant life recovery flask and 2 elemental resistance flasks for spells you can't avoid. I would suggest Topaz with dispels shocked and Sapphire with dispels frozen and chilled. Fire is not big trouble (beside Atziri)

Here are screenshots of defensive and offensive stats with my current gear:
no_auras_and_no_buffs

hatred_and_herald_of_ash

determination_and_granite

Here is video of me killing Atziri, quality is low because of my 5 year old PC, but it proves the point that melee is not dead (yet). I died once, probably because of my bad gameplay but I didn't have lvl 20 gems nor quality so it should be hardcore viable (for players better than me).
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QJrBu87eR-w

This is my first guide here so don't be harsh on me :)
All questions and suggestions are welcome.
As I collect more knowledge about 76+ maps, I will try to edit this post. (Due to bad luck on drops, I haven't played any of them.)

P.S. Sorry about grammar mistakes, I'm not native English speaker.

Why are you going RT with a staff? That's just counterproductive. For an RT build you would get more damage with a sword/axe/mace. With a staff build you can get way more damage just by going crit, and it isnt that expensive either. By more damage I mean going from 20k dps to over 50k.

Also, armour really isn't worth the investment. Its far better to get more life and regen. You also dont need unwavering as a cyclone build, you're already immune to stun.

Try this tree. It should take you to over 6.5k life and over 500 regen/sec while getting way, way more dps. For more information, check out victordoom's duelist staff cyclone thread, it's almost the same exact build.

There is no downside at all to going crit, only advantages. Armour is far too weak in it's current state to be worth investing into. The damage from going crit is better defensively because you will kill stuff before it can eve touch you.

Good luck!
For try, for see, and for know.

This is a buff
Thanks for your opinion, but I wanted to create RT staff build not crit. I can use Mace for more DPS but staff gives that extra defense from block. That's the main reason for using it. That extra dmg means nothing anyway because cyclone just melts all in it's path. I tested armour and I can say it's really good. Today from Zana daily I got lvl 73 dunes with double boss and extra dmg and attack speed. My Marauder facetanked them both without taking more than 300 dmg. Couple days ago I facetanked all Brutus attacks from Colonade. My CWDT didn't even proc. And today I desynced into Vaal smash and stayed alive. Got 300-400 hp left but still survived. Didn't have any endurance charges, determination or granite there.

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info