[PvP] Fireball Trapper LLD Low Level Dueling

Hey guys! I'm playing this build for a couple of months and i decided to make everything i know about it so far in a forum post.

I also saw that 13acon made a thread for almost the same build but i'll include a lot of the swaps, tactics and other miscellaneous stuff that i can think of.

Here is the thread of hissnail if you'd like to check it out: http://www.pathofexile.com/forum/view-thread/1134875

Okay now here we go.

First of all ill discuss the skill tree variants.
Passive Tree

This variant focuses mostly on damage. You can do some swaps and maybe take clever construction(the node that prevents the mines and traps to be destroyed over 5 seconds period). Honestly

http://www.pathofexile.com/passive-skill-tree/AAAAAgYARXyXl_v1tDjlGYw2pLHljp1jXfIOSOOENj2dqmyMYqy0xdvncFGzAzIYUzHC7AW11CMwcd2oS3g6QlVLYeIHY8u9

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Clever Construction variant:
http://www.pathofexile.com/passive-skill-tree/AAAAAgYARXyXl_v1tDjlGYw2B2NVS2HiJpUWvw-rbWw2PZ2qYqxsjLTFwuzb5wW1cFHUI3ZvswMwcX6wMhjdqNhUUzFLeDpC

But this tree loses half of your damage. Maybe it can be compensated by the fact that you have Clever Construction. Honestly idk.
Something else you can do is lose the HP reward of Oak and just lose the 2 mana nodes in the tree, but you will need a large mana boost from gear then, to reach at leats 300 mana.

Gear

As you can see the gear is nothing special... The gloves, helm and armor are all self crafted with some alterations and the masters.

Those are used for swaps.

Gems and Links

So first the damage skills:
Fireball-Fire Penetration-Empower-Lesser Multiple Projectiles-Trap/Faster Proj

If you have a 4 link only, you can try losing either the Empower or LMP. (Empower gives a lot of damage but Resistance(Fire) penetration gives a lot more effective DPS than it.)
You can also swap Trap for Faster Proj if you want to try and suprise your opponent during combat.

Cold Snap-Cold Penetration-Added Cold-Empower

This one is probably the best support skill gem for PvP. If it freezes, it locks the opponent and you can throw some easy hits on him. If not, it slows him down quite a lot.
You can try swapping Cold Penetration for Trap if you want to swap during combat, or change to colours and get rid of Empower if you like it more as a trap skill.(Added cold is important for the freeze chance, but if you dont have quality Added Cold, just get rid of it for the Trap gem.

Arc-Curse on Hit-Temporal Chains-Elemental Weakness

This is obviously for cursing. I always like to slow down my opponents and thats why i use Temporal Chains but you can always choose other curses that suit your playstyle. The Elemental Weakness i simply chose because i have it with quality and it gives more Res penalty than Flammability
Sometimes i feel like even Ele Weakness is not worth it because most of the players are really overcapped on resistance and it doesn't do anything.

Other use for Arc is to shock stack and finish the opponent. In this case you use
Arc-Lightning Penetration-Empower-Added Lightning

Bear Trap-Multiple Traps
Used for locking your opponent in place.

Lightning Warp-Reduced Duration
Ye. Bows have all their mirror and blink arrow, melees have whirl blades and leap slam, we have lightning warp... Gets the job done but feels kinda awkward at times.

Rejuvevation Totem
Some passive regen during combat, useful when you encounter Poison Arrow users and generally really useful gem.

Molten Shell
Use it against attack based melee guys because we have 40 Dodge and 10 chance to block. Useful. :D

Clarity
As we have to support the skills.

Frost Wall
This is kinda tricky to use. I still can't do it effectively. I generally use it to protect agaist bow users in smaller maps.

Smoke Mine
Easily one of the best support skill gems when you don't FORGET to place them :D:D:D:D:D

Tactics and Swaps

Okay first i'll explain some of the gear choices.
Wanderlust - Freeze Immunity. You NEED it, otherwise you will end up forever frozen :D. not fun...
Doedre - Dual Curse. Still thinking about it. Maybe ill swap it if i feel like it's not worth it.
Eye of Chayula - Stun Immunity against the flicker, heavy strike users.

1.When playing against an attack based physical guy:
Chances are that you are gonna get stunneeeeed sooo much... So just swap the amulet for eye of chayula and the Wanderlusts for some decent Boots with life so you can get back some of the life lost.
If they continue to use cold snap then put back wanderlust and just wing it :D

2.When playing against other trapper:
Use Arc a lot. It destroys traps and even bounces of so it can kill a couple of them at a time.
Use it against bow users also, since they have puncture trap.
If they are using Freezing Pulse STAY AWAY :D:D:D:D. If they move up close to you chances are you are not getting away if you dont have a smoke mine placed somewhere. Chill + Temp Chains = Forest Gump.

3.When playing against Ethereal Knives:
Eye of Chayula + Wanderlust. Its a hard matchup because EK does a ton of dmg. Try to lure him into the traps.

4.Bow users:
Still haven't found a really really good tactic against them, but bear traps work good because they sometimes forget and get too hasty in killing you off.

General Strats:
Use bear traps with the Fireball Trap because when they use arc it might not hit your Fireball Trap.

Try to put some smoke mines every now and then. They save your life a lot :D

Watch you mana!!! Really important because you will be able to throw around 2 traps one after another and then you have to wait. It kinda reminds of some fighter games where this is your stamina :D:D
One of the ways you can solve it is by swapping doedre for a mana ring like Dream Fragments and just every other ring that has life and mana.
This also opens up the boots slot and helps a bit with resistance if you need some tweak there.

Playing against a hasty flicker guy:
Throw some traps in your feet press the granite flask and wait for it :D If he is playing a duelist or a marauder chances are he doesnt have Acrobatics and he will be hit by all the traps.

Swaps:

I already mentioned most of them but ill summarize it here.
Eye of Chayula against Physical Damage users.
Faster Proj for Trap for suprise and some more flexability in the middle of combat.
Regular boots for Wanderlust if you dont need the freeze immunity.

Flask Setups

This is the general flask setup that i use for all the matches.
I like having a lot of curse immunity because chill + temp chains is the biggest killer imo.
One dispel chill for getting away from Freeze Pulse abusers... i mean users ;D
And a bleeding pot for puncture traps. Some of the guys have it as a skill on swap.
Against Bow users i put

For the extra bleed removal.

Ill be uploading videos soon but thanks a lot for reading!
If you are interested and need some more info or pratice matches add me as a friend ingame and just pm me at any time.
I'd be always glad to help you out! ^.^
ign:kick1337/Azaiya
Last edited by Kick1337 on Dec 24, 2014, 1:43:05 AM
This kills the PvP.
Great build, I really don't want to go against it.
Nah man... it seems strong but it is only when you play it good. If you play it like shit then it feels really really underpowered :D
Im getting CRUSHED by guys that outplay me. ;D
Was my post you linked to not Hissnail's. This is a very nice write up though, kudos!

I personally don't think a pure trap build like this would be too viable without clever construction though. Just my opinion but good to see some options here!
On a long enough timeline, the survival rate for everyone drops to zero.

IGN: Baacon
Last edited by 13acon on Dec 23, 2014, 4:21:38 PM
Thanks man! I'm testing it out right now. But clever construction isn't that big of a deal anyways.
Most of the time people see where you put the traps and after they see that you have the node then they will start just avoiding them.
Thus the node becomes dead weight. And if they dont know where the traps are, chances are that you have thrown them before more than 5 seconds so i kinda becomes useless.
And you have to sacrafice a lot of mana and life to get it.
You can still do it though. I see nothing wrong with it, just difference of playstyle i guess ;DD

P.S. i just now understood what you meant with the first sentence :DD: Sorry man!!! will fix it!
Last edited by Kick1337 on Dec 24, 2014, 1:42:52 AM

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info