Suggestion: Option to lower FPS in town and while alt-tabbed!

Suggestion: Option to lower FPS in town and while alt-tabbed!

While in town and even while alt-tabbed my Path of Exile client is ALWAYS chewing though 400W of graphics card power. I would like to be able to use less power and ware on my hardware while trading or otherwise waiting in town.

Here's an example of it ramping up my graphics card temperature while I'm doing nothing but sitting in town:

You can currently enable VSync as a "workaround" but that still only limits my FPS to 120 Hz. VSync also limits me to 60 Hz in fights where having it off would otherwise have 90-120 Hz.

Suggestion/Easy Fix!

Add a simple new UI option in the Graphics tab (possibly with user inputted numbers)

[X] Limit FPS to 30 while in town.

[X] Limit FPS to 15 while ALT-TABBED.

The in game Vsync isn't very good. If you override it using nvidia control panel under Manage 3D Settings, it won't auto limit you to 60 fps when you're only slightly below 120. Unfortunately, the nvidia vsync only works when you're playing the game in fullscreen mode.
"
Pentika667 wrote:
The in game Vsync isn't very good. If you override it using nvidia control panel under Manage 3D Settings, it won't auto limit you to 60 fps when you're only slightly below 120. Unfortunately, the nvidia vsync only works when you're playing the game in fullscreen mode.

I wonder if this process would resolve the issue of the games ability to quickly load assets going down the drain performance wise, when switching back and forth between different programs and the game.
Computer specifications:
Windows 10 Pro x64 | AMD Ryzen 5800X3D | ASUS Crosshair VIII Hero (WiFi) Motherboard | 16GB 3600MHz RAM | MSI Geforce 1070Ti Gamer | Corsair AX 760watt PSU | Samsung 860 Pro 512GB SSD & WD Black FZEX HDD
Last edited by Nicholas_Steel on Jan 14, 2015, 6:47:32 PM
Bump
Bump
Bump
Bump
Bump. Just ran another test idling in town with vsync off. Runs my GTX 680 graphics card at 100% and my fans need to power up to maintain 80 deg C. When I turn vsync back on (limit fps to 120) my graphics card doesn't use 100% it can handle that fine and starts to cool down very quickly.

Please give us FPS limiter! It would also be nice to limit FPS differently in different scenarios (e.g 120/144/no limit while out of town, 60fps in town, 30fps while alt-tabbed). Even a text based option, anything.

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info