[1.3 VIDEO] Balamir's Static Strike Tank - Insane AoE, Immortality, Stunner, Igniter

Information
Spoiler
This is Immortal tank build, based on max blocking (75%), spell block (56%), damage reduction (60+% with charges, or 100% when trigger gem proc).
Main goal was to test new melee skills in 1.3 and as you can see the results are not bad at all :). You will enjoy the insane AoE, provided from static strike, herald of ash, reckoning and vengeance.

1.3 Build - Passive tree at 95 lvl

My current progression at lvl 89

Bandits
Spoiler
Kill 'em all

Important items
Spoiler

My Gear
Spoiler

As you see my gems are still not max leveled.

Videos
Spoiler

Pros
Spoiler
Immortal
Insane AoE for Melee
Stunner
Igniter
You cannot be stunned

Cons
Spoiler
It's not cheap
As every melee character your will be filled with junk items too :)
As every tank, your damage isn't enough for full party games

It’s not done, I have to level up my skill gems, change some flasks, level up my character and etc.
But you will see on the video that the build is enough powerful atm. Soon there will be more videos in much more difficult locations.
I’m accepting advices and I’ll be glad to develop the build here with you guys.
Last edited by kalora on Dec 26, 2014, 1:32:19 PM
One cheap advice/trick with huge benefits :

Put Malachai's Artifice in one of your ring slots, then insert a quality level 1 Nova in it.

=> Nova with 40% Elemental Equilibrium (NEE)

Jump into a group and cast your big Nova in the middle, smash them with your Static Strike, enjoy.

As your build only does Phys/Fire/Lightning damage the NEE will offer a +10% cold resistance to monsters (you don't care), and a -20% to their fire and lightning, how awesome!
The idea is great, but if I change one of my rings, I can't use Discipline aura.
With my rings I have 145 int, which is not enough for 20 lvl discipline, I'll change the right ring, for 50+ int (20 lvl discipline requires 153 int)
You can add "needs legacy gear" and "needs a fuckton of int on gear" to your "cons" list. ;)

Instead of running Tempest shield, you could invest in the 4% block at "Command of Steel".

And do you really need Discipline?
While playing Aegis builds, I always felt I just need "some" Energy shield to protect my life pool, but not exactly "a lot of" ES.
Dropping Discipline would free up the ring slots, as you now only need 113 Int for your Sceptre.

You could also take those two +30 Int nodes along the path, they are not horrible (mana, %ES, requirements).
3.5 build: https://www.pathofexile.com/forum/view-thread/2299519
I run a quite different build (lvl 56 atm), more oriented str/int than str/dex :

Here is the tree :

Here are the gems :
Spoiler

Gloves RRRR : CWDT (lvl2) + Molten Shell (lvl 8) + Immortal Call (lvl4) + Increased Duration
Boots RRBR : Reckoning + Vengeance + Curse On Hit + Warlord's Mark
Helm BRBR : Wrath + Herald of Ash + Tempest Shield + Reduced Mana
Ring W : Ice Nova
Weapon RRR : Shield Charge + Melee Physical Damage + Melee Splash
Shield BRB : Lightning Warp + Reduced Duration + Faster Casting
Armour RRRRB : Static Strike + Multistrike + Added Fire Damage + Weapon Elemental Damage + Concentrated Effect

Though my build is still under construction.

"
Put Malachai's Artifice in one of your ring slots, then insert a quality level 1 Nova in it.

I am really a fan of this mechanic, it acts like a curse, but it is not a curse. This become really handy when dealing with Elemental Resistances as my build (yours as well) does not offer a second attack.
Last edited by theonepos on Dec 22, 2014, 8:11:56 AM
3.5 build: https://www.pathofexile.com/forum/view-thread/2299519
Nice remark.

In fact I was intending to take these 3 nodes when I began this build, but I drop the cluster along the way, to prefer other nodes. My block calculation :

Block
Shield : 32% (Aegis Aurora)
Tree : 11%
Skill : 4% (Tempest Shield)
Total : 37%

Spell Block
Boots : 25% (Rainbowstride)
Amulet : 50% (Stone of Lazhwar)
Total : 37% * 75% = 27.75%

If I take the 3 nodes "spell block cluster" I will gain 7% additionnal chance to block spells (34.75%). I don't know if this 7% is better than some life nodes or resistance nodes.

"
Travelling all the way there and NOT getting them looks like heresy.

I kinda feel the same way when I look at the tree. It sure is a long way only to take some AoE nodes!
Last edited by theonepos on Dec 22, 2014, 8:26:59 AM
I make few changes in skill tree (not big changes), I take 2 x 30 int. nodes, also Celestial Judgement, which costs me 12% life, 12 chaos resistances and 20 int.
There is changes in gems too. You can see in "My Gear" section.

I decide to remove Warlord's mark, because 2% leech life and 2% leech mana (from my rings) is enough atm. I'm wondering about the curse that I'll use: Vulnerability or Punishment ? I'm playing with Vulnerability, but I also leveling Punishment.

Soon I'll post new video, the build progression is going very well.

P.S.: Thanks to theonepos for counter-attack gem combo!
Last edited by kalora on Dec 23, 2014, 3:23:02 AM
"
P.S.: Thanks to theonepos for counter-attack gem combo!

About that combo, I run accross this changelog line for patch 1.2.2 :
"
We have restricted skills to only work with a single trigger gem at a time. Skills supported by multiple triggers will be disabled and won't work with any of them.

So I am wondering if using two trigger gems to trigger one skill really works.

I am not sure of what GGG wants to tell us.

My Hypothesis :

That works :
Trigger Gem 1 -> Trigger Gem 2 -> Spell

That does not work :
Trigger Gem 1 -> Spell
Trigger Gem 2 -> Spell

Have you tested this behavior?
Last edited by theonepos on Dec 23, 2014, 5:48:16 AM
My vulnerability curse works great with this combo.

Reckoning + Vengeance + Curse on Hit + Vulnerability...
I'm not tested with Punishment already but I think it will work too.

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info