[budget/self-found/HC] Templar EE traps & totems

Here is a nice & fun cheap build for you guys. It's not too strong but not too weak, it has pants and should be able to run most endgame maps safely. It's also hardcore viable if you're not too crazy. It deals damage with DoT traps (fire & poison) and 2 shockwave totems.

Concept

So this is a build that uses several sources of damage over time to deal overall decent damage. The 3 main damage skills are a Poison arrow trap, Fire trap and a double Shockwave totem thanks to Ancestral Bond. Bear trap is used to help single target damage.
Defense relies mostly on a high level Arctic armor and a long auto-casted Immortal call in combination with a self casted echoed Enduring cry. Arctic armor mana consumption is absorbed by the classic combo Clarity + Discipline + Eldritch Battery.
Herald of ice is used so that Shockwave totem boost fire trap damage thanks to Elemental Equilibrium.
The curse of choice here is naturally Vulnerability since it buffs every source of damage, indeed Fire trap and Poison Arrow are DoT and Shockwave totem and Bear trap are physical damage.
Finally, vaal Lightning trap adds itself to the mix for a last 50% bonus damage to everything.

While leveling the build, I've a run into a rather troubling issue, the build uses 9 buttons for active skills (accounting for the occasionnal use of lightning warp), So I had to put Enduring cry and Lightning warp in the second set of weapons.

Skill

Three keystones : Elemental Equilibrium, Eldritch Battery and Ancestral Bond
The tree focuses mainly on life, mana and mana regen. Then there are some bonuses to totems, traps, AoE and DoT. Finally I've got the skill duration passives which buffs pretty much everything I do : Longer damage over time, more totem and trap lifetime, longer immortal call, longer curse, even arctic armor and vaal lightning trap duration.

Link to the skilltree :
https://poebuilder.com/character/AAAAAgUAA-4EBwVbCPQOSBGWEmkUTRZvFxwabB2-HvAfAiSqKPoqEyynLR8zhzWSNsU26TwFPV9Bh0WdRtdKyEyzUlNTUlXGWW1Z81orXcZfKl-YZp5qQ20ZbqpxeXaCf8aCHoLHgziD24uMkFWVIJeVl_SYrZrgna6f36IAoqOj8qcIp4SsqrTRtQS18rc-t3W4k8AawFTB88MTyAzYJNi92wvhc-Nq44TkIuvk6-7tIO98-ej60v4K

Gear

This is my gear, all of it is self dropped in Rampage by me or my two guild friends, my highest character is 86 so I'm not too rich. As you can see Everything is only 4L.

Notable ones :

+3 gem level Bow
This is the most "expensive" piece of gear for the build. It's not even really necessary, +2 level is already nice, but this makes Poison arrow deal very good damage.

Atziri's Foible
Gives a lot of mana regen for arctic armor and helps with the multiple dex requirements the build have.

Hyrri's Bite
I think this is the best quiver for this build, mainly because the other wouldn't contribute to anything except defenses. This one gives good attributes and a nice bonus AoE for Poison arrow, Fire trap and Shockwave totem.

Geofri's Crest
+1 level for arctic armor and fire trap. I used Heatshiver while leveling for the same reasons. This one has just much better resists.

Gameplay

I usually put the totem first on the front so that it takes aggro, then I throw the traps. Soon enough the totem will be dead, so I cast it very often, otherwise I spam traps everywhere most of time. Cooldowns aren't a problem since I've got 4 different traps. When the action gets tough, I switch weapon to cast echoed enduring cry, this provides enough charges to make the next immortal call last 4 seconds, which is largely enough to cast another enduring cry in addition to throwing some other stuff.
The gameplay is much more dynamic than I would have thought for an Ancestral Bond build so it's pretty fun to play.

Here's a gameplay video, it's edited to add some fun. I'm not that fast ;)
It's a Dry peninsula map (lvl73) done as I'm lvl74. Feel free to ask if you want to see the unedited video.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-Gq7_zkdvCw

Alternatives

The build is far from finished, I can get more endurance charge and more totem cast speed at rather low cost. I could take Inner force to buff arctic armor. Clever construction would be nice in order to keep traps alive agaisnt aoe damage ennemies. Also, the build could use a Cloak of Defiance, I just don't have it.

Herald of thunder can be used instead of Herald of Ice if you want to buff a cold damage friend.

Build of the week #2 : http://tinyurl.com/ce75gf4
Last edited by zriL on Nov 25, 2014, 12:48:03 PM

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info