Manly Man Mode Macho Marauder

As you may have noticed, Marauder is going through an identity crisis right now and is being used mainly for such builds as Summoner, Incinerator, RF Caster and Dual Totem bitch. I mean, what is this shit? Nevertheless, there is a sure cure for such nonsense:

#1 Manliest Strongest Heaviest Marauder build ever ever!

So what is manly?

First off, only red gems are manly. Red means fire and blood. Blue means you are a skinny rich white girl and green means you are a rat or a coward sneaking in the shadows trying to stab someone from behind, only to scurry away like a frightened chicken when this Marauder's fearsome towering form reveals itself.

Second, only melee skills are manly. A man doesn't use magicks or bows to kill his enemies, he dismembers them with a HUGE AXE; he cleaves his way through endless ranks of foes, leaving nothing but blood and guts and pieces of meat in his wake. Furthermore, only TRUE(Tm) melee counts. Some might like to spin around, which is something becoming of a ballet dancer perhaps, or some faggy ice skater, but certainly not of this fellow, and some like to bounce around like ping-pong balls, but our Marauder doesn't even know ping-pong...

Third, strength, vitality and life regen are paramount, as would be fitting for a vital (and
virile) beast such as this!

This leaves us with a very clear and simple picture. Our guy (although some say he is not a man, but an animal) uses an axe, performing heavy strikes and cleaves that never miss and never wavers in the face of danger. All the damage is scaled by a raw physical power with such evocative (and 100% descriptively true) notables as Butchery, Reckless Abandon, Fell the Weak, Destroyer, and more.

As for damage reduction, this Monster often lets out extremely manly cries that strengthen his resolve as well as wears the heaviest available armor - not for his own protection, mind you, but because if he ever falls down, he hopes the extra weight of the steel will crush mobs caught in the fall.

Now let's look closer at the skills this former Lumberjack uses:

Heavy Strike (+MPD+Added Fire+WED+FA) - Rightly enough, he uses Heavy Strike to slap the
hilariously weak bosses into submission. Often they are forever caught in an ever refreshed state of surprise which renders them completely useless. He despises these pathetic mobs and laughs at them.

Cleave (+MPD+Added Fire+FA) - Bread and butter of his life. He likes his life.

Leap Slam (+MPD+FA+Stun) - Each Leap Slam causes seismic tremors in the range of 3-3.5 points on the Richter scale and stuns all the enemies nearby. The enemies are probably stunned by the magnificence of his arrival and his godlike appearance, although the Stun gem might have something to do with it as well.

Auras (Reduced Mana+Determination+Vitality+Herald of Ash) - Naturally his inner awesomeness creates powerful auras around him. Herald of Ash is just something he uses to get better visibility in some of Wraeclast's dark dungeons. Setting bodies on fire seems like the most logical solution to him.

Cwdt (+Molten Shell+Inc Duration+Iron Will) - Sometimes when annoyed by feeble attempts on his life, he summons a shell composed of golden eye pigments of all the enemies he has killed to show his current ones what fate awaits them.

Enduring Cry - To feel even more manly.

By this time I am sure you are dying to know what stats this Machine has, so here they are,
although I am not sure why you wouldn't just take my word for it that they are simply epic.

Heavy Strike DPS

Cleave DPS

Def

Oh yeah, 550str, look at that body! He sure gets the bitches. And by "gets" I mean kills. And by "bitches" I mean mobs. Then again, he gets the bitches as well, of course.

You also get 84% damage reduction and 5k+ life at lvl73. That is some OP shit.

Finally, this is what this Macho Brutus uses for gear:

Macho Gear

Yes, he is a pimp too.

For a while I thought about using Kaom's Heart, but then I thought that Kaom must have been kind of weak, only being able to carry so thin steel. Perhaps he wasn't as great and glorious warrior as they say when he had to wear this soda can for an armor. That's what I thought. I also considered using Aztiri's Disfavour, but then I realized that it was a woman's weapon, so that wouldn't do.

So there you have it. Go play it. As a bonus, when doing so, and doing so on Rampage, there will be UT kill streak announcements playing for every 100 kills you do. It is a special feature of this build.

In Reality
This build is fucking awful. I wanted to lvl to at least 85, but had to give up, because it was just so awful and unfun to play. True melee, especially 2H melee is complete dogshit and should never be attempted, not even as a joke. You have no block and you miss attacks all the time even with RT because everything is constantly slightly desynced. Your damage is also crap compared to any crit build.

Armor is utterly rubbish as well. I might as well have 77% damage reduction with endurance charges and 84 with Molten Shell, but because you have no evasion, it is just a matter of the monster group being big enough and you can still die to purely phys damage. Fucking everything hits you. And don't think that having Unwavering will stop you from being stunned. Oooh noooo. Your attack animations are still getting cancelled in some cases. So yeah, you are tanky and all, but have no block or dodge or evasion, and you are melee, so you take ALL the damage ALL the time. Not so great.

Finally, your mobility with Leap Slam is rather pathetic compared to Whirling Blades or simply just running really fast, and, most importantly, your clear speed is bellow piss-poor. Takes forever to clear a map, or do anything at all. Had to even break the only red gems manliness requirement and get FA, because it was just too terrible otherwise.

The only good thing about playing this, or something close to this, is that all the gear is super cheap. You might think, perhaps, that I spent a lot, but I haven't. At all. 500dps axes are easily gettable for around 20c and most of the pure armor gear is very cheap as well. Altogether I spent about 1.5ex, not counting the boots which I found and which would probably cost a bit more than that. But, I mean, if anything, how cheap this gear is only really tells you how crap builds using it must be.

This build might be salvageable if you swapped Heavy Strike and Cleave for Cyclone and perhaps modified the tree slightly to get some more AS maybe or something, and also got Kaom's or Carcass. But then, of course, the pure tragic manliness of this build would be lost.

So that is the lesson here, GGG hates melee, hates 2H melee even more so, and hates Manly Macho Marauder Melee most of all!

Pls, never play this.
Last edited by Cabesi on Nov 14, 2014, 10:10:50 AM
I like your post.

But I don't like your skilltree and gem choices.

Yes, armor is a bit weak. Yes, twohanded is a bit weak.

But your twohanded armor build is weaker than it needs to be, even in the current meta.
You could double your DpS and Survivablity with just a few adaptations.

So the post is funny, but conclusions are wrong.
3.5 build: https://www.pathofexile.com/forum/view-thread/2299519
Last edited by Peterlerock on Nov 14, 2014, 10:23:32 AM
love it! saw the dps and thought ye thats about my builds too ;D
"
Peterlerock wrote:
I like your post.

But I don't like your skilltree and gem choices.

Yes, armor is a bit weak. Yes, twohanded is a bit weak.

But your twohanded armor build is weaker than it needs to be, even in the current meta.
You could double your DpS and Survivablity with just a few adaptations.

So the post is funny, but conclusions are wrong.

Oh, you might think that! But oh no, my conclusions are 100% correct. I mean, yes, I know that this build could be much better, that's kind of what happens when you don't make it to be mainly good in the first place, but... BUT... Let's forget about this build completely, shall we. If I were to say that armor and 2h RT melee completely suck compared to everything else, that would still sadly be true, wouldn't it?

My build is just a cautionary tale and an extreme example of what happens when you let the romantic notions of what melee should be take over :-). I could improve as much as I wanted, but even then it would still be worse than 1h melee, dual wield 1h, 1h or 2h crit melee, and anything that is not melee really.
"
Cabesi wrote:

I mean, yes, I know that this build could be much better, that's kind of what happens when you don't make it to be mainly good in the first place, but...

Who with a sane mind creates a build with the intention of being sub-par.

Drop Vitality for Hatred.
Drop Weapon Elemental Damage for Multistrike.
DpS already doubled.
Clear your skilltree of useless nodes, and collect attackspeed (12% in Duelist, add berserking by rerooting the way to Scion life wheel (same point cost, but now you can take Berserking)).
Another portion of DpS gained.

Add Immortal Call in your CWDT instead of that useless Iron Will gem.
Cut the armor nodes. Add more life nodes.
Survivability doubled.

This build could play then 78 maps and kill Atziri.
Which should be enough for 95% of people.

"

BUT... Let's forget about this build completely, shall we. If I were to say that armor and 2h RT melee completely suck compared to everything else, that would still sadly be true, wouldn't it?

My build is just a cautionary tale and an extreme example of what happens when you let the romantic notions of what melee should be take over :-). I could improve as much as I wanted, but even then it would still be worse than 1h melee, dual wield 1h, 1h or 2h crit melee, and anything that is not melee really.

I agree it's worse than anything else.
I agree you actually have to say "I want to play 2h melee no matter what".

But that doesn't make it unplayable.
And you wrote this:
"This build is fucking awful. I wanted to lvl to at least 85, but had to give up, because it was just so awful and unfun to play. True melee, especially 2H melee is complete dogshit and should never be attempted, not even as a joke."

That's just not true.
Yes, your build sucks.
But it is possible to create a twohanded melee build that does not suck.
3.5 build: https://www.pathofexile.com/forum/view-thread/2299519
Last edited by Peterlerock on Nov 14, 2014, 11:57:40 AM
Just take a look at victor's cyclone marauder. Manly and powerful and is near immortal while having very good dps.
For try, for see, and for know.

This is a buff
"
Peterlerock wrote:
"
Cabesi wrote:

I mean, yes, I know that this build could be much better, that's kind of what happens when you don't make it to be mainly good in the first place, but...

Who with a sane mind creates a build with the intention of being sub-par.

Drop Vitality for Hatred.
Drop Weapon Elemental Damage for Multistrike.
DpS already doubled.
Clear your skilltree of useless nodes, and collect attackspeed (12% in Duelist, add berserking by rerooting the way to Scion life wheel (same point cost, but now you can take Berserking)).
Another portion of DpS gained.

Add Immortal Call in your CWDT instead of that useless Iron Will gem.
Cut the armor nodes. Add more life nodes.
Survivability doubled.

This build could play then 78 maps and kill Atziri.
Which should be enough for 95% of people.

"

BUT... Let's forget about this build completely, shall we. If I were to say that armor and 2h RT melee completely suck compared to everything else, that would still sadly be true, wouldn't it?

I agree it's worse than anything else.
I agree you actually have to say "I want to play 2h melee no matter what".

But that doesn't make it unplayable.
And you wrote this:
"This build is fucking awful. I wanted to lvl to at least 85, but had to give up, because it was just so awful and unfun to play. True melee, especially 2H melee is complete dogshit and should never be attempted, not even as a joke."

That's just not true.
Yes, your build sucks.
But it is possible to create a twohanded melee build that does not suck.

I think you should ask yourself how serious I can be posting a guide for a build I knew wouldn't be good. Maybe everything I said about the build, armor, and 2H melee should be taken in the context, and as a toungue in cheek response to the main uber-awesome-machismo part of the guide, and not literally. It might well be that the main reason for this guide (in addition to just entertainment) is poking fun at 2H Melee, which is generally known to be bad, and using an extreme version of that - what in my opinion is the distilled, archetypal version of 2H Melee, with everything that might be wrong with it + making it even worse by placing additional limitations, like using red gems only, etc - is just means to that end. Now, that doesn't mean I created this build from the start just to make this guide - I made it just to be the most macho build -, but it so happened, in the end it gave me the idea for this :-).
Well yes, I do agree that it is quite amusing. However I am actually interested in seeing a 2h cleave build. Try to fix this next reset, I promise you that it will be fun.

2h melee can be very strong if built properly, as long as you don't make any comparisons with those crit dagger builds hehe.
For try, for see, and for know.

This is a buff
This is by far the funniest guide I have came across....lol.......reserved
IGN: Gieves

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info