[1.2.4] Equin's Ball Lightning Witch | Dual Curse | Solo the Game | Build / Vids

Hi my name is Mike and i want to share my Ball Lightning Build! This Build is Tanky and do high Damage without a high crit Chance!

How the build works:

First, my English is really bad, sorry for that :D!

In my opinion, „Ball Lightning“ is because of the low tooltip dps, a really underestimated spell. The tooltip dps is of course, like the in the most cases, absolutely not representative. After a lot of testing, I use this setup:
Increased AoE - Slower Projectiles - Faster Casting - Life Leech - Spell Echo
With this, u get the most damage on a single target with one Ball. Of course there are spells like “Added Lightning/Chaos dmg” that increases the tooltip dps, but because of the mechanics of “Ball Lightning”, that results not always in a better dps in reality. I would love to add “Lightning Penetration” in my setup, but I sacrificed it for the survivability of a life leech gem. The “Conductivity” curse, is obviously the best choice with “Ball Lightning”, it gives you a great chance to shock and reduces the resistance of your enemy's against lightning damage. “Herald of Thunder” with “Curse on Hit”, curses the target with “Projectile Weakness”. Thanks to “Doedre's Damning” ring you can have two curses on your enemy’s. This combination ends in a really fast clear speed and survivability.

A bit theory crafting

Each single cast of Ball Lightning hits a target every 0.2ms. You can’t change this fact, so I build around this. Because of this, “GMP” or “LMP” have not effect, you can’t get more then 5 hits in a second per cast. “Concentrated Effect” has absolutely no effect, okay it has an effect, it makes your hit range with every ball smaller, what is terrible. Explanation: The cast itself is an AOE but the projectiles, that’s does the damage, are not.

So how can we build around this 0.2ms cap? Projectile speed would only decrease my dps, because as faster the ball fly, as shorter is the time it can hit the enemy. As I sad, “LMP” and “GMP” only reduces my damage, so I used some other mechanics in the game:
“Slower Projectiles” is obviously, to slow my balls down and give them more time to hit the enemy. AoE work the same way. Because the AoE gets bigger, the ball has more time to hit the mobs he fly trough. Together with my very high cast speed, the balls overlap each other. That means, an enemy can get hit by 4 balls at the same time. Cause of the Knockback from my “Projectile Weakness” they get hit even more. I would say every monster get hit by a ball around 5-8 times. I am not good at theory crafting, but if one hit from a Ball does 4000 damage and it does this 5 times in a second, you came up to 20’000 damage x 4 balls, so it gets up to 80’000 damage per second, what is very impressive without crit. Of course this numbers are all without resist, curses and anyway, complete nonsense,  but it gives you a feeling of the potential that “Ball Lightning” offers.

BALL LIGHTNING - Skill Gem Analysis & Mechanics Guide from Ziggy D

Survivability

You need a lot of ES! If you have to fight a hard hitting enemy, “Decoy Totem” and “Immortal Call” linked to a CwdT, should do it. With life leech and Vaal Pact, u can easy Leech the damage back. Also Reflect is not a Problem, even in double reflect scenarios, cause of your strong leech. I use Projectile Weakness, It has some nice advantages, like the Knockback and projectile damage. If you are in trouble, use your “Vaal Discipline” and curse “Warlords Mark”, but you won’t need this often!

Videos on Youtube

Spoiler

Spoiler

Aura

Herald of Thunder | Clarity | Discipline | Blood Rage

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Pros:

- can do all bosses in the game
- high clear speed
- high dps
- cannot be stunned
- cannot be frozen
- rly good solo play
- good lifeleech with Vaal Pact
- aoe doing a good job!
- no problem with reflect maps
- can do almost every map
- high ES
- Dual Curse (Conductivity and Projectile Weakness)

Cons:

- almost zero armor (but with a highlvl CwdT and Immortal Call np)
- Bloodmagic / no, or reduced regeneration Maps

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Bandit rewards:

Normal: Kill All (for +1 passive point)
Cruel: Kill all (for +1 passive point)
Merciless: Help Alira (for +1 Frency Charge)

Keypoints / Unique's u need

* Chaos Inoculation
* Ghost Reaver
* Vaal Pact
* Unwavering Stance

Focus Prio on:
- ES
- Castspeed
- Spell Damage
- Increased AoE

Skills

Helm
Curse on Hit - Projectile Weakness - Herald of Thunder - Reduced Mana

Shield
Warlords Mark - Increased AoE - Conductivity

BodyArmour
Ball Lightning - Increased AoE - Slower Projectiles - Faster Casting - Life Leech - Spell Echo

Boots
Reduced Mana - Blood Rage - Clarity - Discipline

Gloves
Decoy Totem - Immortal Call - Cast When Damage Taken - Vaal Discipline (Vaal Discipline is not working with CwdT)

Focus 20/20 gems:
* Ball Lightning
* Spell Echo
* Faster Casting
* Slower Projectiles
* Increased AoE

My Gear with LvL 91

Gear
Spoiler

Stats
Spoiler

Ball Lightning Spell

Herald of Thunder
Spoiler

Passive Skill Tree with LvL 91
http://www.pathofexile.com/passive-skill-tree/AAAAAgMBAuMEBwdjB6UNfA48EFgRDxFQE54UsBXXFecW8xslHNwfAiY8KjgqTSpTLJwspiy_LUctfS-dMjQ0CjW5Nug3ZjpSPV8_J0V8RnFHBkmySshLrkwtUEJRTFJTVmNXK1ivXGtfKl9qYpVtGW6qb55zs3RVdhF4DX1bfll-r3_GghCCHoMJhEiGrohCjDaNGY_6kNaTJ5eVl5eX9J_LpJGnK6lurEesmLJwtAy1hbXyvYLBtMHFw23KSsu90NDZW9lf2-fdjN-K37DgEuTs6QLquuvk7BjvUPBr99f-sw==

Passive skill tree breakdown

Health
158% increased maximum Energy Shield
64 to maximum Energy Shield
Life Leech applies instantly at 40% effectiveness. Life Regeneration has no effect.
35% faster start of Energy Shield Recharge
15% more maximum Energy Shield
Maximum Life becomes 1, Immune to Chaos Damage

Mitigation
54% increased Evasion Rating
50 to Evasion Rating
24% increased Evasion Rating and Armour
15% to Lightning Resistance
10% to all Elemental Resistances
1% to maximum Lightning Resistance

Damage
139% increased Lightning Damage
64% increased Elemental Damage
48% increased Spell Damage
48% increased Cast Speed
20% increased Critical Strike Chance
16% increased Elemental Damage with Spells
12% increased Area Damage
10% increased Attack Speed
6% increased Movement Speed
Damage Penetrates 2% Lightning Resistance

Other
310 to Intelligence
118% increased maximum Mana
95% increased Mana Regeneration Rate
90 to Strength
70 to Dexterity
50 to maximum Mana
50% increased Shock Duration on enemies
20% increased Radius of Area Skills
15% chance to Shock
5 Mana Gained on Kill

Youtube Channel
https://www.youtube.com/user/equinxx

Twitter
@equinxx https://twitter.com/equinxx

Twitch
http://www.twitch.tv/equ1n

Last edited by equin on Nov 16, 2014, 7:24:55 AM
placeholder
Last edited by equin on Nov 13, 2014, 3:29:52 AM
placeholder
Last edited by equin on Nov 13, 2014, 3:29:59 AM
placeholder
Last edited by equin on Nov 13, 2014, 3:30:05 AM
Hey there

It's nice to see some working "Ball Lightning" Builds out there. When i look at your video, i would say it's clearly a strong spell, when you know the mechanics. Good Job.
Gone try this out soon.

See ya

Last edited by Venenarius on Nov 13, 2014, 11:08:34 AM
"
Venenarius wrote:
Hey there

It's nice to see some working "Ball Lightning" Builds out there. When i look at your video, i would say it's clearly a strong spell, when you know the mechanics. Good Job.
Gone try this out soon.

See ya

Tyty. Yes it's a rly strong spell! i just tested it with haste. but it is not that mutch better than before.. better use discipline instead of haste. Hope u have fun with the build! if u have some questions, ask me :)
Last edited by TettaVolante on Dec 6, 2014, 8:35:38 AM
Hello.

Would you rush vaal pact for HC?
"
TettaVolante wrote:

Hi. I had that before.. yes u right.. but if u get a good amulet.. u cant get that damage with 6 points. and u also need the strength for your gems.. thats why i switched to a normal amulet and go for US
"
Dclean wrote:
Hello.

Would you rush vaal pact for HC?

Hi, i never played HC with this Build. but i think yes i would.. cause the heal is a lot better than without it..

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info