1.2 Tanky Staff Templar, Cyclone on Mana

Here's a short guide on my current build.
It's not too detailed, but I think the important parts are in.

I find it to be a very fun and interesting build, using op crit, running a 6L full damage Cyclone on mana, and being as tanky as a 2h can ever be.

Pro:

*Very high damage output
I'm currently getting close to 60k Cyclone DpS with 7 power charges, and with a better crit roll on the staff (or Hegemony's Era), this will increase substantially.

*Very high survivability
~5000 life endgame + Lightning Coil + (Phase) Acrobatics + Vaal Grace lets you tank most of what is thrown at you in this game

*Nice Synergy with AoE nodes for both Cyclone and Herald of Ash

*fun to play, true melee

Con:

*Accuracy is an issue. You need a lot of flat accuracy rolls, and they don't make gearing for Lightning Coil easier (Accuracy and resists both are suffixes).

*Running Cyclone on Mana needs some practice. It's perfectly viable, but you need to know the limits. And use Leap Slam in some scenarios for a quick "mana refill".

*You need a small amount of flat Strength and Dex on your gear. Some flat mana and mana regen doesn't hurt, too.

*Cyclone is not ideal to generate power charges via PCoC, and non critical Cyclone DpS is pathetic in this build (very few raw damage nodes)

Target tree (Lvl 85):
Spoiler

Click me

After that, add Crit multi, the remaining two life nodes, and the remaining 40% crit.
You can also consider Eldritch Battery to increase your mana pool (Evasion/Armor/ES is not required at all, so you may as well wear ES gear and use it as mana source).

The 117 point Lvl100 dream tree would look like this.

During Levelling, it is very helpful to grab +30 Dex/Str nodes along the way, and using Mind Drinker for Mana Leech. But in the end, that costs skillpoints, so you better do it with gear.

Bandits:
Spoiler

Oak, Kraytin, Alira.
Life, attackspeed, power charge.
Sounds legit, and it's nice to help each of them once.

Gems:
Spoiler

Cyclone
+increased AoE/Conc Effect (swap depending on content)
+PCoC (probably not needed when using Hegemony's Unique Staff)
+melee damage
+increased critical damage
+faster attacks (drop this in 5L)

Leap Slam
+faster attacks
+Curse on hit
+Assassin's Mark
(+whatever when in a 5L, I use Item rarity because LS actually kills monsters on crits)

Reduced Mana
+Hatred
+Herald of Ash
+Elemental proliferation/Clarity

High Level CWDT
+Immortal Call
+Increased Duration
+Vaal Grace (doesn't trigger, but benefits from Duration)

Low level CWDT
+Enduring Cry
+Assassin's Mark
+increased AoE

(yes, I have two Assassin's Mark gems, I find that pretty convenient)

Gear:
Spoiler

High physical damage staff with added crit chance.

Lightning Coil for "as good as armor ever can get without even wearing armor".

Rest:
Life, resists, accuracy, some mana stuff, especially leech.
One roll each for strength and Dex, so you don't have to spec into +30 Str/Dex nodes (which you can do temporarily)

I'd love to include Maligaro's, Abyssus or Rat's nest, but I doubt this is possible without mirror tier resist gear, and then you don't have accuracy. So, no, probably not this time. ;)

You generally do not need to care for the base items in this build.

Evasion gear would probably be strongest (because this stat is not cut in half), but the socket colours would be very hard to roll. And I don't invest in Evasion passives and don't need Evasion.

Armor gear would do nothing, LC and IC are better than Armor can ever get, unless they change the game mechanics.

ES gear is interesting if you cannot build a high enough mana pool without it and want to use Eldritch Battery to do so.

But the affixes and socket colors of the items are about ten times as important as the base defense, so get those right, and don't care too much about basic defenses.

My Gear:
(not perfect, but good enough)

Flasks:
Spoiler

2-3 Seething/Bubbling Life flasks.
Fill up with utility flasks as you desire.
Add the usual "remove bleeding/frozen/curses/shock".
Surgeon's on resist flasks is nice, on Quicksilver, I prefer "Ample" because I only pop them when no monsters are around, and on life flasks, I prefer instant recovery.

If you need this visualized:

Character Screen
Spoiler

Kinda hard to do a screenshot with 7PC, but without rampage bonus...

Lvl81, missing a couple life nodes, so only 4000 life so far.

Video
Spoiler

By no means is this intended to impress you.
My computer is horribly old and I can't properly play PoE while recording, monsters jump around, screen freezes, mouse doesn't move like I want.
I also have no editing skills or even a program that allows me to record/edit in a satisfying way or add cool music like...
"This is ten percent luck, twenty percent skill
Fifteen percent concentrated power of will
Five percent pleasure, fifty percent pain
And a hundred percent reason to remember the name!"

I used Fraps, recorded a couple of 15s videos and cut them together, on a Piety run.
Wow, a 81 dude with 6L can do a Piety run. ;)

The sole purpose of this video is to demonstrate that you can use Cyclone on mana, and to show how the whole screen burns even with conc effect cyclone... and there's also a reflect mob in it. Hooray. ;)

Click me for Piety ownage

3.5 build: https://www.pathofexile.com/forum/view-thread/2299519
Last edited by Peterlerock on Nov 15, 2014, 10:25:06 AM
Bumpidibump.
Wow. I just saw this. Pretty nice.

You're doing even this one with mana, though you mention that it isn't as easily sustainable as with blood magic. Can't see your tree yet (on phone ATM) but which mana did you take?

Off topic: I wish I could play as much as you :P
For try, for see, and for know.

This is a buff
The only mana-related passives are the life/mana nodes at witch.
But as the whole path is on int nodes, that's enough.

I don't have enough raw regen to make several very short spins in a close space, like against a single boss.
I can do 4-5 spins, and then the templar starts "bitching" for mana. This can be solved by using Clarity instead of Ele Prolif during Boss fights, or by just waiting a split second, or by leapslamming the boss... And most bosses don't survive more than 4-6 spins anyway.

In normal mob fights, I run out of mana only when I hit nothing because of desynch/stupidity.
Then again Leap Slam to refill quickly.

The mana leech keeps going a bit longer than the actual killing, so you can waste 1-2 cyclones after a mob is already dead and still have full mana afterwards.

As written in the miniguide, it takes a bit of practice.
It's not 100% "I press button, Templar starts spinning".
I'd need much more mana regen for this, probably at least:
*40% regen in Templar Start
*Clarity 5-10
*Eldritch battery
*Maybe even Deep Thoughts
But I don't want to spend points, and the way I do it currently is fluid enough for me.
Update please :) really like the build but the passives got rerolled and i dont know what to put.

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info