I call it "Rack 'Em Up" An Evasion Crit Dagger Build

So this build was inspired by the fact that I liked Molten Strike from when it was introduced. I took the dual crit daggers one in a Descent Champs race with a Duelist to see what they could do. I found that critical strikes with Molten Strike are so rewarding that I've built a few characters using it with great success each time. My first successful character in Beyond was a level 68 Shadow with these skills. It's probably best to begin in the Shadow Area for Dagger damage, but I had already done a Shadow to 65 and wanted a different class for the challenge. Also, when I built it with Shadow, I came into the Scion starting area anyway so it didn't seem like a stretch to start as Scion.

I'm not claiming this is mine or anything but I didn't look at anybody's tree and just theorycrafted it and implemented it. Of course, it helps that I looted the most expensive piece of gear with another character which gave me a goal of a this crit dagger character.

What scares me is the Flameblast Exile and Beyond bosses, they hurt but I've killed all of them except Abaxoth multiple times. I've also faced the Vaal DD Beyond boss and was able to face tank him with no issue.

Skill Explanations:
Spoiler

Molten Strike | Multistrike | Faster Attacks | Lesser Multiple Projectiles
This is where the Rack comes in. Each attack generates 15 lava balls which are not included on the tool tip DPS on top of the main strike. Critical can take packs out pretty fast, even blue packs in maps. I use this skill %90 of the time as it is quick and i'm leeching at 6% add on top the life from Bino's and I don't have to pot too much. I still need obviously, but unless Beyond mobs or Rogue Exiles or map bosses, i leave most packs at full health. I plan to move Melee Physical Damage into this as my fifth link, saving currency now for this process.

Spectral Throw | Lesser Multiple Projectiles | Faster Attacks | Added Fire Damage
For maps where I need to move a little slower, or mobs that can be tough up close and personal. The other %10.

I'm using two movement spells:

Lightning Warp | Faster Casting | Reduced Duration
For moving across gaps. It's a bit more mana intensive and I don't leech off of non physical damage so I can't use it continuously.

Whirling Blades | Faster Attacks | Melee Physical Damage
This is for getting away from boxes and when kiting Beyond packs or tough mobs to safe locations. It's faster and I can spam it as it is cheaper.

Cast When Damage Taken | Temporal Chains | Immortal Call | Increased Duration
Even though I'm not using any skills to generate Endurance Charges, it's there to stop burst damage that comes to fast to react to. Things I'm most afraid of is being hit by two or more chargers at almost the same time. I can react with a pot if you give me a 1/2 second, but not if they strike consecutively too fast.

Herald of Ash | Grace | Reduced Mana
Pretty self-explanatory. Damage and Defense at a lowered cost.

Assassin's Mark
Some quick damage to start the fight before it get's over-cursed by Temporal when/if i get hit.

Leveling
Spoiler
Start with a good dagger, but you will need to visit all skill stats at some point. Strength for main skill, Dex for gear and Intel for Weapon and spells. You can start with an Ungil's Gauche at 19, and that will be better then most yellows until 35 when you can get a Mightflay. The good thing about Mightflay is that is preps you for using Bino's as the life gain is similar. I think I actually gained life faster with Mightflay but it seems to gain more in general with a Bino's. At 65, you can use Bino's for the rest of the charachter's life. I was doing 67 maps with 3400 health with very few close calls based around elemental damage. I've gotten my life over 4200 now so most points left will go toward crit strike chance.

Any questions about gear or tree choices, let me know in the comments. Most of the gear i found myself, crafted or bought for under 5 chaos per piece.

Gear:
Spoiler

I like Wurm's Molt here for the life and Mana Regen. Combo with Blood Drinker and Mind Drinker means you won't need mana pots. I use two Jade Flasks of Surgeons, the Reflexes for tough fights to almost guarantee I don't get hit. I would use an Eternal for a Catalyzed of Staunching but I haven't been able to craft that one yet.

Build:
Spoiler
http://www.pathofexile.com/passive-skill-tree/AAAAAgAAA5YFfQW1D6sWvyEDIuoj9iaVLOEtVTBxMHwxnjIBMgk1kjXWNj06QjrhOyhFCkcGSn1LV0t4S8RNkk3jUUdTNVVLVvpeRWBDYeJh62KsZfFnoGxGbIxtbG49b55ybHcHd9d6U33jfyuDCYcTh3aMNo19jb-S85smm7WcpJ2qplenNKlurGaxs7IZtUi18rk-vrzAnMDjwzrKSs3qz3rQCdQj1orYTdh22L3dqOOE6Nbp_u1B8bPyRfTG9vz66_zF_gr-jw==

If you can find room, Elemental Damage nodes aren't terrible, but it's probably more important to attack fast and hit critically.
Can you upload some screenshoots from your character? defence, offence etc.
Omg! Using this as a beginner build in HC is really hard! I dont have much in stash cause i have died very early on in every try in hc.

Any tip for surviving as new in hc with this build?

I am L21 atm and had huge problems in chambers of sins. Having to pop my flasks every other seconds and even put a portal up for boss.

My elemental defenses are very good cause og good drops but i thnk my physical are a bit low.

I have 754 life, doing 54,9 dmg with the Molten Strike (really like the skill).
Defenses are 69/71/40/0 %. Life regen 3.4.

Problem is my economy is bad since i am rtaher new in hc and have died very early on with my previous builds.
Fidelis ad mortem!
I wonder how people dig up such builds and play them in HC.

First off, the build is not bad. But just using a 4L as attack is kind of weak. whether your Molten Strike balls are included in the tooltip DPS or not, this won't clear fast. With a 5th gem like Melee Physical Damage you could make this into a viable build but yet I would not advise anyone to play this in HC.

I can show you a great build and guide which covers the whole Molten Strike Bino thing and goes a bit more into detail:

https://www.pathofexile.com/forum/view-thread/959748
Spoiler

However, this would also not work as good in HC where your priority is defense.

@wasarion: You should consider another build as a starter in HC. Summoners, Fire trapper, Tornado Shot, basically something ranged is a bit better for HC. Also most of those builds don't require much gear. This one does require a bino's , which itself is not expensive, but still too expensive for totally new players.

Also, 54,9 dmg at L21 is literally nothing. If you really want to play a melee build, maybe take a look at Facebreaker builds. those don't work with molten strike, but maybe Infernal Blow is something for you ;)
“Losing a limb is no excuse for cowardice.” - Master Sollis, "Blood Song"
"
Carmondai89 wrote:
I wonder how people dig up such builds and play them in HC.

First off, the build is not bad. But just using a 4L as attack is kind of weak. whether your Molten Strike balls are included in the tooltip DPS or not, this won't clear fast. With a 5th gem like Melee Physical Damage you could make this into a viable build but yet I would not advise anyone to play this in HC.

I can show you a great build and guide which covers the whole Molten Strike Bino thing and goes a bit more into detail:

https://www.pathofexile.com/forum/view-thread/959748
Spoiler

However, this would also not work as good in HC where your priority is defense.

@wasarion: You should consider another build as a starter in HC. Summoners, Fire trapper, Tornado Shot, basically something ranged is a bit better for HC. Also most of those builds don't require much gear. This one does require a bino's , which itself is not expensive, but still too expensive for totally new players.

Also, 54,9 dmg at L21 is literally nothing. If you really want to play a melee build, maybe take a look at Facebreaker builds. those don't work with molten strike, but maybe Infernal Blow is something for you ;)

Well, my Scion died. maby i go for Tornado, my first char in nomal uses it and has worked fine all the way to L75.
Fidelis ad mortem!

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info