[1.2.3] Beyond | Odir's I dare you to touch me! - Vaal Molten Shell Build

I dare you to touch me!!

Videos

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d7A3Il9Dpsg Mountain Ledge 67 Map - Charlvl : 73
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i9pCuroYusY Pier 70 Map - Charlvl : 79
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6rFwlOWRFCk Strand 71 Map - Charlvl : 79
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e_qgQmv7WP4 Gorge 74 Map - Charlvl: 84

I will upload more Videos while lvling up more ;)

Hey everyone. First of all I apologize in advance for my English&grammar because its not my native language o_O.
I wanted to share this build after I received a couple of questions about my build from some bros. So here we go:

This is my first personal guide for PoE. So bare with me ;)

History of this build

I practicly came up with this build upon the first few days when Vaal Molten Shell was released back in 1.1.0. I used to run it as a support on my Discharger back then and realized how stong this skill is on its own, despite the fact that its a Vaal Gem requiring souls. So I respecced into an early version of this Build, back then I had a max block build that used a 4l incinerate to gather souls, but alot has changed till today.
Popular Streamer RaizQT (www.twitch.tv/RaizQT) did his own version based on my Build, and due to this and missing the fun I had with this build, I tried to "improve" it a bit further to its current state, just because its alot of fun to play, and extremly efficent clearing maps.

Build Explenation

This build focuses arround gathering souls for Vaal Molten Shell with Firestorm, to then cast Temp Chains with Shackles of the Wretched to further increase the duration of VMS and also increase the duration of everything else affecting you, like immortal call, flasks, and any other buffs. Then you need to overwrite the Temp Chains on Mobs with Flamability/Q Ele Weakness that is not socketed in your Shackles.

So you can see, this Build heavily benefits from inc duration gems/passives/temp chains that all boost each other up. Thats why I also chose Firestorm as the Soul Gathering and Supporting Skill of Vaal Molten Shell, it scales with duration aswell as with aoe nodes.

Why Vaal Molten Shell? Because of its high Base dmg (1735–2602) and the Q which gives 30% Chance to Ignite, and because of its mechanics, its triggers every time when you get hit by sth, wether you block or mitigate sth entirely (even with IC up). Thats where the Builds Name comes from :) Its just plain fun for me to play this build.

Pro

- Insane damage & clearspeed / prolif builds tend to have that ;)
- Insane surviveability / Unbelieveable long Immortal Calls + AA + MoM + Vaal Pact + Purity of Fire
- You have insane support flasks, with insane durations (Temp Chains + flask nodes)
- Do maps with temp chains/fleet ;) Now you dont hate them anymore, the more mobs and faster mobs = more clearspeed.
- Easy leveling and fairly cheap!!! Just lvl with flameblast till about lvl60-65 depending which version you prefer.
- Reflect? What is that?
- HC Viable
- Atziri possible? (did it on my earlier version back in invasion, shouldnt have changed this much)
- Cheap to start getting this build going

Con

- Gathering the Souls in the beggining can be annoying, to get the Vaal Molten Shell fun started
- Fire Storm not everybodies favourite (Just use Flameblast instead or Firetrap or whatever suits your style)
- Chromes costy to color some pieces esp a 3r2b cloak (i used arround 600(unlucky) to get mine coloured, vorici helps alot, damn those hybrid armours o_O)
- Needs a 5l Chest to work and a rime Gaze if you dont go Searing Touch
- Needs a q15+ Vaal Molten Shell to be effective (Vaal orb a q Molten Shell to Vaal Molten Shell)
- Needs a bit of dex on Gear/Jewelry for a high lvl Arctic Armour

My current gear

Two Versions

This build can be played with a Searing Touch or a 1h + Shield
There are two versions of this build:

-The more "yolo" more dmg one with a Searing Touch (You will need alot of Resists to compansate for the use of a 2h and Shackles)
-The more "defensive" one with a 1h + Shield and a Rime Gaze (no 6l firestorm possible, shield can give you extra defense and resists, can be more costly with a Dory Catalyst, which is BiS 1h for this build but will achive arround the same dps or more? not tested yet.)

Gems and Links Explanation

Searing Touch/Rime Gaze

Firestorm:

4 Link - Firestorm - Spell Echo - Faster Casting - Conc Effect
5 Link - Firestorm - Spell Echo - Faster Casting - Conc Effect - Fire Pen
6 Link - Firestorm - Spell Echo - Faster Casting - Conc Effect - Fire Pen - Life Leech/Inc Duration or whatever you see most fit

It's important to note that with a Rime Gaze you only get lvl15 Conc Effect and cant achieve a 6l, but a crafted 1h with Fire Leech or a Dory Catalyst should make up for that. Also it gives you the Option for 2 unused gem slots which can be used for whatever you like, example, another aura or empowered curse and AA

Chest

Vaal Molten Shell

5 Link - Q Vaal Molten Shell - Inc Duration - Life Leech - Inc Aoe - Ele Prolif
6 Link - Q Vaal Molten Shell - Inc Duration - Life Leech - Inc Aoe - Ele Prolif - Inc Burning Dmg/Fire Pen or whatever you see most fit

Now, the tricky part is that you need either a 3R2B Cloak of Defiance or a really good AR/ES Chest to make up for the Lack of MoM.

Shackles of the Wretched

4 Link - Temporal Chains lvl1 - Inc Duration - Arctic Armour - Faster Casting

Other Pieces

4 Link - Reduced Mana - Clarity - Purity of Fire - Flamability/Q Ele Weakness
4 Link - CwDT - End Cry - Immortal Call - Inc Duration

2x3 Link if using Rime Gaze:
3 Link : Reduced Mana - Clarity - Purity of Fire
3 Link : Flamability/Q Ele Weakness - free - free

Gear to look for

Ill just put up the most important stats, extras are bonuses.

Gloves: shackles of the wretched

Jewelry: Life/resists/Mana Regen/(Dex until at least 95 for a lvl20 AA)

Helm: Rime Gaze or a high ES or AR/High ES with life/resists

Boots: life/resists/20% + MS. (Try to get pure armour based boots for your CwDT Setup, if you can pure es with 4 off colours are best to run inner force later)

Belt: armor/life/resists/es(tora movementspeed craft is also nice due to Temp Chains). You can also use a doryanis if you got other gg gear for the lack of defense a normal belt gives you

Chest: 5l Cloak Of Defiance 3r2b highly recommended - if you cant afford one, go with high AR/ES Hybrid with high life/res

Weapon: Searing touch or Doryani's catalyst if you can afford it. If not a 1h high spell/fire dmg with possible crafted life leech works just as fine!

Shield: pure es or ar/es hybrid with life and resists, rathpith possible for extra block defense and really op with a Rumis

Arctic Armour & Inner Force Tips

How do you sustain your high lvl AA and what are the costs with inner force?:

You need at least 229.7 Mana regen to run a lvl20 AA without inner force, due to MoM i always recommend trying to shoot above that.
You should only specc into inner force if you can sustain the inc cost of AA of 277.9 mana/s with inner force.

Flasks

Quality up your Support Flaks!! Due to Temp Chains and Flasks nodes they last insanely long. every bauble is worth it!

2 Seethings is a must in my opinion, one Staunching (Remove bleeds) and one Grounding (Remove Shocked) are prop best for all purposes
1 Granite with % ARMOR is a must - Rumis would be perfect for either the Searing Touch or 1h+Shield version but again costly.
1 Quicksilver with Adrenaline ist a must!!!
1 Atziris Promise - Boosts DMG and Survivablity (Leech) or a Ruby/Topaz depending what you need mostly.

Bandids

Normal - Help Oak
Cruel - Kill all
Merciless - Kill all

Dealing with ugly Map mods

Elemental reflect. Should not be a Problem, make sure to grab a Ruby on double reflect, can hurt if you go too much yolo but will only kill you if you make a mistake.

No regen / Half regen. Nope

Blood magic. Nope

-Max resistances. Nope

Elemental weakness. Make sure to be overcapped, requires insane gear to pull of, maybe specc into Sentinel for 10% all res if you need it.

Thanks for reading this far, hehe.

Remember this Build is still in the Progress of lvling!
If you have any questions, feel free to ask. I will compose a Q&A after I answered them.
This Guide will be Updated depending on what Questions/Critisism I get :)
Last edited by DerKobold16 on Oct 21, 2014, 10:44:08 AM
Seems cool!
Put it up to reddit @ http://www.reddit.com/r/pathofexile/comments/2jlnfy/guide_odirs_i_dare_you_to_touch_me_vaal_molten/

Let us know how you're doing later on!
Will do bro! Thank you also for posting it on reddit. Saves me some time, hehe
Sieht gut aus!
"Fixing the endgame was hard - No matter how hard we buffed red maps, people would keep spamming Gorges.
So we turned Gorge into a red map"
Do spell damage modifiers benefit molten shell?
Last edited by hungck1006 on Oct 19, 2014, 2:24:20 AM
"
hungck1006 wrote:
Do spell damage modifiers benefit molten shell?

Yes they do, scaling it through fire/ele dmg double dips on the burn dmg aswell, so I advice you to scale through them.
Updated with 2 new videos. more to come while i lvl
Insane build insane guy. +1
Updated Videos with a Gorge run.
firestorm is too weak to make any reasonable dps
why dont u put up the good old flameblast instead

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info