Vegetu - CoC Summoner Hybrid - Casual Budget Build

I've been playing PoE very casually for a long time and my current build is the most fun character I've ever played. It's a wand CoC / Summoner hybrid built for poor people (me). The only true requirement for this character (which has solo'd every map boss except Aztiri) is a 6L. Personally, being broke as I am, I use tabula.

This is all you need that will actually cost you anything.

The skills and links:

Spoiler

Helm: Raise Zombie - Blood Magic - (Minion Life\Empower\Minion Speed\Minion Resistances\Multistrike\Melee Splash)

You have some leeway here whether you want to build your zombies for dps or for tanks. I personally build them for tanks (Minion Life\Empower would be best, however, I'm poor and use Minion Speed). Blood magic because unless you have quite a bit of mana on your gear, you won't have the mana to cast zombies with your auras running. Besides, being able to endlessly summon zombies is very helpful.

Gloves: Reduced Mana - Hatred/Haste - Herald of Ice - Purity of the Elements

The auras are open discussion. If you really want more tanky you can run grace / determination but that isn't really my play style. I play standard, I die sometimes and I'm ok with it. Hatred obviously does more damage while haste is just nice to move / attack faster and is arguably better for clearing. Purity does wonders for easily maxing your resists and making zombies tankier. Switch our purity for whichever element you in certain situations.

Boots: Cast When Damage Taken - Convocation - (Enduring Cry\Molten Shell\Enfeeble\Immortal Call)

The really cool thing to take away here is Convocation. This build will be running 6 zombies that live through all but the higher map bosses and as soon as you take 300 damage you are quickly surrounded by 6 zombie meatshield and proximity shield spectre

Shield: Raise Spectre - Increased AoE - Increased Duration

While evangelist do decent damage, we are only running 1 spectre and his job is proximity shield above all else.

Wand: Cast When Stunned - Molten Shell - (Immortal Call, Decoy Totem, Molten Shell)

That is not a typo. A lvl 20 molten shell is amazing and doubling your chance to cast it when stunned is worth the slot. However, the wonderful thing about cast when stunned means lvl 20 skills and gives you several option. If running enduring cry in your cwdt setup this is a nice way to pop IC when hit hard.

Chest: PCoC - CoC - GMP - Barrage - Arc - EK

I find Arc - EK to be by far the best combo for casual play. It causes minimal lag, shock stacks everything in sight, is resilient against reflect, and does massive AoE damage to targets not even in front of you. For the real meaty and big bosses, you can absolutely switch this out for fireball/breath and shotgun away for unbelievable damage.

For clearing and a change of pace, try using chain instead of GMP. It's technically more damage assuming the chain projectiles land and you'll find yourself shooting off spells at stuff all around you.

Here's the tree:

Spoiler

https://poebuilder.com/character/AAAAAgMAAx4JoA5ID6sRDxGWFLAWQBa_Fy8aOBzcHRQdqh9BJLAmlSepKgsqmCycLR82PTbpOlg_c0SrRnFLV0yzUDBVS1WuVcZV1lv0XfJh4mKsY0Nk52aea9tsjGznbWxvnnBScNV3B35Zf8aApIIQgh6DCYV9htGHE4nTjAuMNo9Gj6aQVZMnlSCaYZuhnKSdqqKjpwinhKyYtAy1SLl8vu6_l8AawOPB88Uox8rJPclEznDZC9te34rfsOGI42rsiuyw8bPyHvLh8-r31_qA-tLbCw==

Gear:

Spoiler

Remember how I said this is a budget build?

The wand cost me about 1.5ex. Most of that price being the cost of the crafted mods and a tip for the crafter. The only thing you need to roll is a t1 crit chance.

Rathpith is always good but not required.

Maligaros was the key ingredient that finally boosted my crit chance to max (90%). Without it you will sit in the 87% range. Notice Maligaro's is the only piece of gear I wear with additional crit chance. A high base on the wand and the build above will net you plenty of crit. The crit multiplier is a nice dps boost.

I am a huge fan of the magnate. If you need resists, get a physical or light doryani which run all of 1ex. I like magnate because it gives me practically unlimited flasks combined with surgeons prefix.

A +2 minion helm is highly recommended, your zombies just will not be the same without one.

Everything else, use what you got. It's not hard to max your resists while running purity so you have a lot of leeway for crap gear in these slots. Life being the end all stat that you will want and need.

A nice additional to the build is Karui Ward amulet. I always appreciate movement speed and the 30% projectile speed does wonders for your barrage and EK.

Flasks

Spoiler

The reason I can't bring myself to play anything other than this char right now is how unbelievable the synergy between a CoC build and surgeon flasks are.

If you are actively attacking a boss, group, or a mob that last more than a few hits, you can easily maintain any surgeon flask -> granite, jade, any resist, quiksilver. This is your main line of defense.

A surgeons eternal flask of animation is what makes your zombies hilariously tanky. They will be perpetually under the effects of this flask as you can just spam this flask to heal yourself and them.

You will HAVE to have a bleed flask. Corrupting blood has been my leading cause of death as you will get stacks very quickly. I haven't died to CB since I crafted the leech on my wand, knock on wood.

Stats (DPS)

Spoiler

Attacks Per Second: 2.3
Projectiles Per Attack: 8
Chance to hit: 85% (only because I have zero accuracy on my gear, this also increases attacking lower level enemies)
Chance to crit: 90%
Chance to Cast: 66%
EK Damage: 1.7k
Arc Damage: 2.2k

My math says 8*2.3*0.85*(.90)*(.66)(1700+2200) = 36231

That is 9.3 Arcs and EK per second (each).

Anything that lives more than a second will be shock stacked boosting that dps to 54k

54k AoE DPS (EK and Arc) with a few exalts worth of gear NOT including zombies / spectre.

Pros / Cons

Spoiler

++
Fun
High DPS
Huge AoE
Zombie Meatshields
Proximity Shield Spectre
Conduit
Can technically run any map mod
Resilient to reflect
Practically instant Shock Stacks on everything within arc range
Quickly freezes everything with high crit EK and Herald of Ice\Hatred

--
Squishy depending on gear (who isn't using a tabula at endgame?)
Flask micromanagement
It is CoC, people using a potato for computer will still complain about EK / Arc / Summons

Leveling

Spoiler

Sorry, no leveling tree. Just hold off on getting the wand specific nodes up top until you're ready to switch over at lvl 50+ to CoC. In the meantime, the nodes are all pretty generic and you can level with your preference. I lvled as a summoner / ball lightning personally.

That's it for a basic writeup, am I missing any important sections? I started this build based on the Shatter Chuck build. However, his build is based around two void batteries, god gloves, and GG gear in every slot so I clearly had to make some modifications. That, and I just really like zombies. For a half dozen passive points, a minion helmet, and a single flask slot you get unbelievably tanky meatshields that just make the game easier and more enjoyable imo.

If this post warrants any interest I'll consider adding pictures and videos. I welcome your comments / questions. Maybe someone will point out something glaring that I missed that will make the build that much better.
Last edited by TadaceAce on Sep 22, 2014, 1:34:09 AM

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info