[1.2] BigsMcgee's OG Phys Wander

This is my take on the classic CI Physical Wander (not actually OG its just uses OG).

This build utilizes very high physical damage and attack speed to rip through mobs and bosses while stacking as much evasion as possible to mitigate reflect and avoid damage in general.

Wands got a major buff in the 1.2 patch due to the new wand nodes and the mana cost reduction of Power Siphon.

How to level
Level with whatever you are comfortable with. Some strong options are Flameblast, Freeze Pulse, Spec Throw. Switch to Power Siphon whenever you get a good enough wand. There is no point on the tree where I can say at X level switch to Power Siphon because it entirely depends on your gear.

Same thing goes for switching to CI. You can switch whenever you feel like you have the proper gear to make the switch and not gimp yourself. I would recommend no switching before level 68 at an absolute minimum since that is when you begin getting access to the highest ES base items. Some key gear level requirements to keep in mind are Imbued Wands lvl 59, Deicide Masks lvl67, Hubris Circlets lvl 69, Carnal Armors lvl 71.

Remember you have 18 free respec points just from quest rewards which is a huge help while leveling as well.

Reflect gets its own section because it is such a big point
Wanders are notorious for very high damage output and the constant threat of reflect. One of my main goals in creating this build was to eliminate that threat and thus decreasing the number of map mods I am forced to roll over and more importantly to make my playtime much smoother and more enjoyable.

This build uses Evasion paired with Ondar's Guile to avoid my own damage reflected back at me by mobs. With my current evasion I have about 42% chance to evade according to my defense tab, when paired with Ondar's Guile I should have an 84% chance to evade correct? Wrong. This number is calculated based on the average accuracy of mobs at your own level. If you are level 75 and your sheet says 45% chance to evade then that means that you will evade 45% of attacks from average unmodified white mobs of level 75.

You chance to evade is based off of a formula which takes the attackers accuracy and the defenders evasion into account. With reflect you are both the attacker and the defender, so you cannot just look at the sheet and say you have 95% chance to evade reflect because that will almost never be the case. In order to maximize the effectiveness of Ondar's Guile, a proper balance between Evasion and Accuracy is necessary. This brings up some special counter-intuitive gear requirements which I will elaborate below.

Math explanation:

Say you have an accuracy rating of 1000 and an evasion rating of 10000. The formula copied and pasted straight from the wiki page on:

Chance to Evade = 1 - Attacker's Accuracy / ( Attacker's Accuracy + (Defender's Evasion / 4) ^ 0.8 )
http://pathofexile.gamepedia.com/Evasion

If we plug and chug our numbers into this formula:

1 - [1000/(1000 + (10000/4) ^ 0.8)] = 0.3433

So we have a 34.33% chance to evade our own projectiles without OG. Its important to note that OG doubles the chance to evade and not your evasion rating. So our chance to evade calculated above is just doubled:

0.3433 * 2 = 68.66% chance to evade our own projectiles from reflect

This works on the same entropy system as normal evasion since it is considered the same as normal evasion. Because of this fact we can pair CwDT + IC with it to create a second line of defense. Random reflect packs that pop up will hardly tickle you and phys reflect maps are not a big deal if you play carefully and slowly.

Gem Setup
(6L)Power Siphon - LMP/GMP - Chain - Physical Projectile Attack Damage - Increased Crit Damage(5L) - Faster attacks(6L)

Most of these are pretty self explanatory. However, I have received some questions about WED in regards to replacing PPAD or FA. I have tested it, and in both cases WED lowers my damage even with a 20/20 gem. This is because I have almost no elemental damage, and the elemental damage I do have is scaled directly from my physical(Tempest Blast and Hatred). So scaling physical damage scales both my phys and ele, while WED scales just the Ele damage which is very inefficient.

For quality I recommend having at least a 20Q ICD since it gives 40%(!) increased crit damage which works out to be 150% * 0.4 = 60% crit damage just from quality. After that just recipe the gems as they reach lvl 20 with the exception of Chain since quality only gives proj speed which is useless.

(4L)Power Siphon - Physical Projectile Attack Damage - Increased Crit Damage - Faster Attacks

Similar reasoning as the AoE setup, PPAD and FA make the highest DPS setup. Some people use Barrage for single target but I prefer PS. First of all, I can gain power charges faster by killing 6 mobs very quickly at the start of a map. Secondly, I just dislike Barrage because I find it very inconsistent since all 4 projectiles rarely hit the target unless you are directly next to it.

(4L)Cast When Damage Taken - Immortal Call - Increased Duration - Enduring Cry/Enfeeble

EC and enfeeble I find to both be pretty replaceable with any gem you feel works better for you. Mobs are usually far enough away to where EC doesn't even give me a charge, and enfeeble is pretty much only useful for leapers and dischargers and the occasional boss.

(4L)Reduced Mana - Hatred - Grace - Discipline/PoL/Wrath

I am only able to run 2 60% auras unless I decide to pick up some aura nodes when I level up some more. So right now I run Hatred + Grace with Discipline being there for emergencies if I need it for a boss or something. You can pretty much keep any aura that you might find useful in that slot. For example, if I'm fighting Piety in a map I will switch off Grace and use Purity of Lightning since lightning damage and shocks are pretty nasty for CI.

(3L)Blood Rage - Enhance - Assassin's Mark

Quality on Blood Rage is great since it gives more leech, hence the Enhance. Empower only increases the attack speed on low life for Blood Rage while the leech stays at a constant 6% for higher levels.

(3L)Lightning Warp - Reduced Duration - Faster Casting

The only option for a movement skill since Leap Slam and Whirling Blades do not work with Wands.

Gear

The wand is the most important piece of gear you own and should be the first piece you get so do not skimp on the damage and get the best one you possibly can even if it means having some other mediocre gear. I am part of the team that vastly prefers the Imbued Wand base because of the higher attack speed. With this spec, higher attack speed will mean more crits, more AOE and better clear speed. You want to make sure your wand has at least 10% crit since it really makes or breaks your damage and clear speed.

The chest is very important as well. You will need a good Hybrid EV/ES chest to support your ES pool and keep your evasion high enough to make reflect a non issue. I'm going to suggest you have AT LEAST a 5L, but the damage is vastly decreased compared to a 6L.

Auxium is a very good belt because of the massive ES and mana it gives. But, this belt is BiS due to the modifier that reads "Chill and Freeze Duration on you is Based on 65% of Energy Shield". This means you will not be frozen hardly ever and cold damage will not chill you as often. In other CI specs that use Dream Frags, or even the few that use Alpha's, chill is still a major problem because any cold damage dealt to you will greatly slow your movement and attack speed.

The shield will be your second highest ES supplier right behind your chest piece. Again get a shield with high EV/ES and resists where necessary. Block chance is optional but very good if late game you prefer to spec into some of the block nodes we are close to in the tree which adds another layer of defense against mobs and reflect.

I use Maligaro's because they give amazing DPS. Another option if you are super richy rich is Acuity's but with the instant leech from those the entirety of the defense I have built up around reflect is obsolete and you might wanna just take a look at some of the Low Life Wander builds out there.

Rainbowstrides are amazing boots for CI since they give all of the stats needed for very cheap. These are great starting boots but I will be upgrading to some good hybrid EV/ES boots when I can.

Hat is the same story as boots, find a decent starting one and upgrade to a good EV/ES one when possible. This is also one of the 4 slots you can roll accuracy. Here's where gearing gets tricky. You will want to get accuracy on ONE or NONE of either your Hat, Ammy, or 2 rings. Any more accuracy will break the balance between evasion and accuracy needed to keep reflect at bay. Since the tree has so much dexterity, most if not all of the accuracy needed is already built in.

The amulet is another great DPS slot as you can get flat phys, crit chance, crit damage, and accuracy (if this is the slot you choose). Other stats that are great on an amulet would be Mana, flat ES, Int, and leech of any kind. Just make sure it has any stats or resists you need as well(this is where Elreon becomes a godsend).

These are slightly different from the amulet because these will be the bulk of where your resists come from. I use on ring as more of a utility ring right now and the other is more for DPS. The two-stone I have will likely not get replaced any time in the near future because of the incredibly high resistances and mana/mana regen. There is still a spot where I will craft flat phys when my Elreon reaches the proper level. However the Amethyst ring is very unoptimal because I do not benefit at all from the chaos resistance since this build is CI. The old ring I was using had too high of accuracy once I found my amulet so this is a temporary solution I had laying around.

Flasks
The flasks are arguably just as important as any of your other gear choices. I run one of each resistance flask as well as a quicksilver and either a jade or granite.

The most important flask on my bar is my Sapphire because I have the "of Steadiness" suffix rolled on it. This mod greatly decreases the duration of stuns and makes this build possible without Unwavering Stance. It takes a decent amount of practice to manage your charges and learn when to use it. It is not a get out of jail free card when it comes to stuns, but more of a kill it at the roots sort of deal. It prevents you from getting stunlocked and surrounded by mobs due to the ability to pop it early and reposition yourself as needed. It will not save you if you are already surrounded and stunned. This method of managing flask charges does not suit everyone's playstyle but is very powerful when used properly. Also, make sure you have a Curse Immunity(self-explanitory), remove bleed (for puncture and Corrupting Blood), and remove shock flask(CI gets long shock durations).

Bandits
Normal - Kill all for the skill point
Cruel - Help Oak for the 18% Phys damage
Merciless - Help Alira for the Power Charge

Videos
( ͡°╭͜ʖ╮͡° )
Last edited by BigsMcGee on Sep 25, 2014, 2:52:22 PM
Changelog
9/9/2014
-Removed the "Build Explanation" spoiler and placed all of that info at the top of the post as an overview.
-Added my current gear as well as explanations of some of the technical details and optimal choices.
-Added a "Flasks" sections for explaining stun flask and other flask choices.
-Restuctured the Passive Tree section to be more comprehensive.
-Added in calculations for OG in the reflect section.

9/11/2014
-Added character image to the top of the post.
-Added further detail and reasoning to the gem setups

9/17/2014
-Added leveling explanation

9/23/2014
-Formatting changes
-Added titles to all spoilers

Last edited by BigsMcGee on Sep 25, 2014, 2:47:47 PM
I would recommend putting Faster Attacks before PPAD unless you have a very high attack speed weapon (maybe even with one if you can support the mana). When you crit everything will die the same and FA will provide better area coverage and more mobility. It will also help vs reflect (which I find isn't that big of a problem on my Wander so far anyways but still).

Also if you can sustain the mana cost I would also take Kraityn in Cruel. 18% phys is only an extra 11% on top of what you get from the tree. Since you are only getting 20% atk speed from the tree the 8% provides a whopping 40% increase for you. This is obviously subject to gear and Blood Rage will lessen this a bit, however you need 70% increased attack speed between passives + gear for Oak to be as good as Kraityn (assuming 0 physical damage on gear).

For this reason I also recommend the attack speed nodes at the shadow start over the physical ones (once again assuming you can sustain the mana costs, but since this isn't budget you should be able to afford it).
IGN: Dmillz
Last edited by Dmillz on Sep 9, 2014, 4:23:25 PM
"
Dmillz wrote:
I would recommend putting Faster Attacks before PPAD unless you have a very high attack speed weapon (maybe even with one if you can support the mana). When you crit everything will die the same and FA will provide better area coverage and more mobility. It will also help vs reflect (which I find isn't that big of a problem on my Wander so far anyways but still).

Also if you can sustain the mana cost I would also take Kraityn in Cruel. 18% phys is only an extra 11% on top of what you get from the tree. Since you are only getting 20% atk speed from the tree the 8% provides a whopping 40% increase for you. This is obviously subject to gear and Blood Rage will lessen this a bit, however you need 70% increased attack speed between passives + gear for Oak to be as good as Kraityn (assuming 0 physical damage on gear).

For this reason I also recommend the attack speed nodes at the shadow start over the physical ones (once again assuming you can sustain the mana costs, but since this isn't budget you should be able to afford it).

The issue with that however, is if he is unable to sustain the mana cost. If he fires too blanks, that would in fact lower his dps. Making his tooltip inaccurate.
"
Dmillz wrote:

I have not done the math on whether Kraityn or Oak in Cruel is better DPS, but this character was a respec I had left so I'm stuck with what I have for now until I come to a conclusion. The numbers you are giving are increases relative to its own value, so Kraityn will be a 40% increase in my %increased attack speed but that does not necessarily mean its better than the 18% phys damage from Oak. That 18% will clearly be a lower increase to my % increased Physical Damage because I stack so much of it already.

I have not tested the attack speed nodes in the shadow area yet so I cannot comment on their effectiveness. I will have to give it a try though.

One of the main reasons I put PPAD in before FA is because of the mana cost. For someone that cannot afford a 6L it is unlikely they will be able to sustain the cost of PS with 3+ attacks per second so I feel like they would get more out of PPAD since they will not be firing blank shots as often. However, you are correct that FA is a better 5th link in terms of pure DPS numbers on paper and for someone who can sustain the mana easily I would recommend they swap the order of those gems.
Yes everything I recommended was based on the assumption you can sustain the mana costs involved. I even said that multiple times. Obviously change things to fit your character!
IGN: Dmillz
I can now say without a doubt that the 5% attack speed nodes in the Shadow start are not nearly as strong as the physical damage nodes.
Last edited by BigsMcGee on Sep 11, 2014, 8:53:15 AM
^
Hi, the build looks good but what amount of DPS does it provide?
"
G3nobee56 wrote:
Hi, the build looks good but what amount of DPS does it provide?

Hi sorry for the late reply, I've been busy and haven't had time to check or update this thread at all.

I changed some things around and tried a couple other wand builds, but the core mechanics of this one should remain very strong even in the new patch.

I was able to get about 19k tooltip dps with GMP and about 24k tooltip dps with LMP. And 48k tooltip single target.

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info