Pyle's EK/Puncture-build (solo/SF-friendly) =as cheap as your items

Hello all,
since i started this game i have been looking for a build that gets me into the maps fast and with ease.

This is about my 30th character and i try to combine my 2 favorite skills, Ethereal Knives and Puncture.
So far i'm doing 71-72 maps and i right now i found them easy to do(when my map-pool allows, i will report how the higher one's are going), and only 2 mods make me reroll the map: No regen and physical reflect with Vulnerability(you can do phys.reflect by lowering your damage).

I'm only publishing this, because i want others to know that there really are cheap builds that can atleast get you to >75 maps and clear them quite fast.

I don't theorycraft at all, i just made up my mind what skills i'm gonna use and then just play.
I hope that anyone that finds a way to improve this(without expensive uniques) will show up and tell me that.

The main thing about this build is weaponswitch, you have your wand/dagger+shield and then you have your Bow/Quiver for Puncture on the switchslot.
I switch to Puncture for Bosses/Exiles and some Master-quests that require high single-target damage and if i face physical-reflect this also lower my EK damage quite nicely to a level that my armour(+granite) can handle it.
For ele-reflect i switch my Heralds off(or take the added fire off).

Even though my Bow is not the best one(not even close) i can still melt Exiles/Bosses in 72 maps from a safe distance, usually 2-3 normal hits or 1 crit.

Accuracy for Puncture is the weakest spot for this build(right now 75% @level83), but i only have added accuracy in my gloves right now and there are accu% nodes and the gem ofcourse to use, when i finally have 5 or even 6-linked Bow.
The other "problem" is that sometimes you have to level your EK for a level or 2, but after that it's go-time again..

About gems/supports:
Spoiler
4-linkedEK: EK+Added fire+spell echo+something, for a 5-link i'd really want Faster Projectiles for almost off-screen hits(yep, reflect is bad)

4-linked Puncture: Puncture+Physical projectile attack damage+faster attacks+faster/slower projectiles and for 5L i'd use them all.. :D the 6th link can be anything useful(IIR/Stun/Blind/Knockback/power charge on crit...

I use Grace for getting that EVA up(38% right now) and both Heralds(i might switch to Hatred when i finally found one) so 4L: reduced mana+Grace+Herald+Herald

Then i have 4L for CwDT+summon skeletons+Temp.Chains+Enduring cry
And finally you need your Clarity setup: i have it 3-linked: BM-red.mana+Clarity

For the other possible sockets: i have lightning warp for some strong-box action and DD for the obvious reasons(i can't imagine a character without DD)

About leveling:

in normal/cruel just focus on resist/life and manaregen(this is really needed!!) on your gear and ofcourse you need 4-link your EK/Puncture before doing Cruel Dominus(atleast it helps alot)
You will need Clarity as soon as possible as well as Reduced Mana(and later on Blood Magic)

Skilltree before normal Dominus(level 35-38)
Spoiler
http://www.pathofexile.com/passive-skill-tree/AAAAAgMA37CCEI-mRKtVriycES18g836uJPr7prgRZ1TUij6gsf56EGHtz7-Cti9NZK18qlueA0LYXlowQRfP-OfJy_vDryfpKzyL_6PTeOmVzGebqpKyA==

Skilltree before Cruel Dominus(level 55-58)
Spoiler
http://www.pathofexile.com/passive-skill-tree/AAAAAgMA37CCEI-mRKtVriycES18g836uJPr7prgRZ1TUij6gsf56EGHtz7-Cti9NZK18qlueA0LYXlowQRfP-OfJy_vDryfpKzyL_6PTeOmVzGebqpKyD8nKk19W6xHUUzKSsM6m7VTNQ-rFr8DHh9BBiO1SCaVYeJVS2qM9W_IFKLZsNgZii2DlwbEorvj_ro=

My current tree@83
Spoiler
http://www.pathofexile.com/passive-skill-tree/AAAAAgMA37CCEI-mRKtVriycES18g836uJPr7prgRZ1TUij6gsf56EGHtz7-Cti9NZK18qlueA0LYXlowQRfP-OfJy_vDryfpKzyL_6PTeOmVzGebqpKyD8nKk19W6xHUUzKSsM6m7VTNQ-rFr8DHh9BBiO1SCaVYeJVS2qM9W_IFKLZsNgZii2DlwbEorvj_rrz6ioLcFKJ03DVjDYVICzpytMZtGqT1e3AD9JN8kX2SIzPPfxYY8bYfLjxrCkuGj4FQkGW0PUHpQLjoSL0-A==

MY current gear:

For maximum EK:
Spoiler

and for Puncture(and lowered EK)
Spoiler

Please note that this is still under heavy tinkering but the core and basic idea is there.
Can i do 78 maps/Atziri with this? I don't know yet, but i hope that i'll find out.
Overall this is the first character that feels fun and nice to play and the first for me to reach 10k tooltip-DPS(with level 18 EK)

And about that weird socket-coloring in my chest? Well, i was running low on chroms and needed green-red-blue atlest, so i had to stop there.. :D
d:-D*
Last edited by PyleWarlord on Sep 1, 2014, 8:41:06 AM
so numbers(that i hate)

Life:~4000 (373 reserved for Clarity)
Armour:5200 (33%reduction before granite/EC)
Evasion:6400(38%)
Block 24% (when using main EK)
resists: 75% (-60% Chaos=my main priority right now)

Main-EK
10036,6 DPS
2,6 casts/second
2211-3900 phys
720-1082 fire
164-220 cold
34-675 lightning
23,1% crit
218 critmulti

Lowered-EK
6756,9 DPS
16,3 crit
218 critmulti

Puncture
2079 DPS
2 attacks/second
13,1 crit(not needed, just a bonus)

Last edited by PyleWarlord on Sep 1, 2014, 8:55:20 AM
First HC update.
Started as a Scion for some early game easiness(and because Merveil)... otherwise a good solution, but damagewise it was a very bad choice..used 2H-ST until Cruel Ledge... :D

Current tree in Merc act 1, just downed Dominus:
Spoiler
http://www.pathofexile.com/passive-skill-tree/AAAAAgAA2E2UoNpiaHT56ILHKPrr7prgRZ1TUkGHtz7-Cti9NZK18m6qSsg_JypNFSAs6crTGbRqk9XtwA_dDfzFZ6CHdkp9fVusR1FMykrDOpu1UzUPqxa_Ax4fQQYjtUhqjPVvJpVh4qlueA0LYXlowQRfP_ZIjM89_Fhjxtjjnycv7w68n6Ss8i8IZ7iT

Next i'm gonna cap my coldres(~50% right now) and then head for some spelldamage from the Witch starting area... after that it's time to get crit/spellcrit and life, life, life...

Current gear:
Spoiler

Overall the issues are the same as a Witch, getting required manaregen is the top priority and getting some INT from gear is also required(right now i have a way better spirit shield, but i'm 22 INT short to use it).
RIP's:

1st(level70):
Spoiler
Just managed to roll right sockets&colours and get my damage high enough to move on and into the act3... enter caverns level2, i was just walking towards and suddenly take a massive damage(on my screen there was no monsters), hit my instapot but nothing happened, started running away, but get rubberbanded back and ofc there was a rare Devouer with extra physical aura+some flickering pirateghosts.. 3-4 hits was enough to take my 3700 life to zero.. and after that my internet crashed(nothing to do with the game)...time to re/roll and this time as a Witch, damagewise Scion was a bad move, started somewhat to work at level70 and level 17 gems

2nd(level77):
Spoiler
My EK just hit level 18 and everything was going well, was doing Docks just to get my gems to 18, game froze and there was a rare Voidbearer and few white ones.. when i realised that game had froze, i alt/f4'D but not in time... don't know if i want to start again(i have other character at level 71)
Last edited by PyleWarlord on Oct 1, 2014, 1:28:45 PM
I ripped again and it was due my crappy connection again.. before that i managed to run my first ever HC maps, did a few66's and 67's.. damage is ofc a little lower than in SC, but overall it still had the same strenghts and issues (good single target and the usual manaregen problems)

my 77 tree:
Spoiler
http://www.pathofexile.com/passive-skill-tree/AAAAAgMAAx4FQgYjC2EMXw-rES0UIBUgFr8YkRm0Gj4cpx9BJpUnLyj6KS4qCypNLJws6TWSOuE_J0GHQZZEq0WdSn1KyE3jUEdRTFM1U1JTpVVLVa5VtV8_YeJnoGqTbqpwUngNeWh8g3y4fVuCEILHh3aMNo-mmuCbtZ7NpKymV6cwqW6sR7VItfK3PriTvJ_AD8EEwzrGrspKytPN-tD11e3Yvd0N37Djn-vu7w7xrPIv8kXzBvPq9kj56PzF_gr-jw==

e: next 10 points would have gone to crit-crit-Coldhearted Calculation-spellcrit-eledmg-eledmg-eledmg-physdmg-physdmg-physdmg... after that it's still possible to have Unwavering Stance, Vaal Pact and even some stun-nodes ;D.

my gear(even had 118% IIR :D)
Spoiler

I think i don't wanna play EK for a while, this was my 3rd character in 3 months or so.. but i will reroll this in the future and make this my IIR-character, since EK is very good skill that requires very little support atleast damagewise..
Last edited by PyleWarlord on Oct 1, 2014, 1:48:14 PM
It is kinda refreshing to look 1 year back and see the noob's enthusiasm for getting into mid tier maps.. :D

But i will revive this, right after we have the free re-set... the overall idea is still there... spam EK and swap into a bow when needed.

Yep, this thing is never going to be the top-DPS build(lol) but it still gets the things done, with safety... and i think jewels/better gear/higher level (STD) chars will also make a huge difference.... we'll see

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info