Righteous Fire - Block Tank [v1.2]

The main purpose of the thread is to trigger a conversation around making RF a bit more tanky and end-game boss viable with possible expense in a small amount of life and thus some DPS. This build proposition is based on the excelent RF guides in the forums along with my experience with a similar build (keep in mind everything here is theory and has not been tested yet).

BACKGROUND AND PRE v1.2 PATCH IMPORTANT OBSERVATIONS

My pre-patch RF Marauder was a high life, capped resists, good regen, low block build and i had a fairly easy time with most map content, i noticed though that in some cases of damage burst (mostly bosses Apex, Dominus, Piety) i had a really tough time surviving, trying to overcome the Mob DPS by timing ruby and life flasks.

Especially against single target boss mobs Cyclone Leech+Flask wasn't enough to counter the damage i was getting or ended up as a really close call. The obvious reason that my viability fell short was the RF's very close range of effect (melee range) that led me to face-tank that boss mob, i wanted to mitigate even more and the only way left was block.

UPDATE FOR v1.2

What i suggest is a bit more expensive to gear but certainly not imposible to get. The v1.2 tree and the snapshotting removal forces you to spend more money to keep your efficiency anyway.
Long story short this is what i see as an improvement.

Build Highlights

With just ok gear at lvl 90 you get.

- 5,6k LIFE (6.9k lvl 100 or 7.4k with life boots, amulet but lower spell block)

- 7,4k Armour

- 69/52 % Block Chance (Possibly capped with Concoction flask)

- 48k DPS (Dual Curse + Elemental Equilibrium)
For comparison you get 75k dps with 9k life tree but you loose all your block. Not worth it imo.

- 781 Life Regen (lvl 90) + Lots of leech against packs.

- Main Auras Used
Purity of fire, Vitality, Grace

Bandits

Normal - OAK (+40 life)
Cruel - Passive
Merciless - Passive (Or endurance charge!). It's up to you.

My Current Gear

Gear Goals

- On one of the items below you NEED to have +cold or +lightning damage in order to trigger elemental equilibrium with cyclone. If you don't then you can just craft it or use a CWDT+Ice Nova gem combination.
- You also need some Dexterity for Grace

- Helmet
Go for high Armour (or Armour and Evasion), lots of Life and Resistances.

- Chest
Use Belly of the Beast (for more life and life flask rate) or Carcass Jack (for more AOE) or as a third choice any other high Armour, Life and Res rare.

- Main Hand
Doryani's Catalyst.

- Off Hand
Rise of the Pheonix.

- Amulet
+1 Curse Lazhwar for spell block or The Anvil for physical block (Apex Trio).

- Rings and Belt
Aim for high Life and Res.

- Gloves
Go for high Armor, Evasion, Life and Res.

- Boots
Go for high Armor, Evasion, Res and definitely movement speed since it makes you harder to hit.
Or switch to Rainbow stride for better spell block chance.

- Flasks
Keep both Life and Ruby Flasks to be able to cap your health regen since the effects of those two stack.
Get at least one Rumi's Concoction to be able to cap both physical and spell block for 10 seconds.

Important Build Info

1) RF Sustainability
RF's degen is 90% of max life.
Max Fire Res = 75 (tree lvl90) + 8(shield) + 4(pof) = 87%

Degen = 0,9 * MaxLife * (1-0,87) = 0,117 * MaxLife

In order to sustain RF, the regen must be higher than or equal to the degen so :
Regen >= 0,117 * MaxLife or 11,7% Regen

My build has 12,1(tree) + 1,65(Vitality) = 13,75 > 11,7%

Since even the regen from the tree 12,1>11,7 then this means that it's self sustainable even without Vitality so you can just drop Vit for another aura if you prefer something else instead of life regen.

2) Iron reflexes and grace

After some testing i've seen that even though IR+Grace Offers more armour than Determination you can actually have quite similar numbers with good strength equipment. It's gonna be expensive though, so go for (Determination + More Life) when you can afford it and as an endgame build improvement/optimization.
The equipment flexebility that IR offers is amazing for the early levels.

3) Don't drop the cyclone leech combo

Gives you immunity to stun.
Makes you hard to hit from mob projectiles.
As an RF most life regen is used to sustain the RF's degen on you so a form of leech is essential for your survival. Imo this was the No1 reason that improved my survivability pre-petch.

4) 1% Regen > 1% Resistance (in terms of RF sustainability)

The reason is that the regeneration applies on the whole life but the resistancies are applied on the 90% of your life that you take as damage, so Resistance is at 90% effectiveness in comparison with Regeneration.

ex.
For 100 life RF does 90 dmg to you per second.
1% Regen heals you for 1,0 hp per second.
1% Resistance is preventing 0,9 dmg per second.

5) Don't go for Whispers of Doom

Make it your long term goal to get a Lazhwar with an additional curse and save 6 passives for health, block or regen.
In the meantime if you absolutely need a second curse just use 1 of the 2 following uniques at expense of some life.
+1 Curse Items

6) Don't get Sovereignty or respec it at Level 20 Reduced Mana
The only reason to get it is the "% reduced mana reserved" in order to be able to run Grace along with the essential Vitality and Putiry of Fire until your Reduced Mana support gem is level 20.

The 22% buff to auras imo isn't even worth mentioning since it equals to :
0,37% more regen + 0,88% additional fire res = 0,37%+(0,88%*0,9) = 1,16% Life Regen for 4 passives!
It amplifies Grace also but still not worth it.

Possible Gem Combinations

-Righteous Fire + Increased Burn DMG + Concetrated Effect + Increased AOE + (Optional:IIR) + (Optional:IIQ)

- GRACE + PURITY OF FIRE + VITALITY + REDUCED MANA

- CYCLONE + FASTER ATTACKS + LIFE GAIN ON HIT + BLOOD MAGIC
Awesome combination that gives you a lot of life regen.

- CWDT + ENDURING CRY + IMMORTAL CALL + INCREASED DURATION
Even with 3 Endurance charges it's always nice to have immortal call casting all the time even for 2-3 secs of duration.

- CWDT + ICE NOVA + (ANY OFFENSIVE OR DEFENSIVE CURSE)

- LEAP SLAM + FASTER ATTACKS + BLOOD MAGIC
Mobility combination.

You can see what works for you at this point and customize those to your needs.

PROS/CONS

PROS
-High Life
5600 HP (but can count up to 22400 HP) with my ok gear. Can get higher if you change the amulet and spell block boots with life gear or can go up to 6900 at level 100.
The actual life though is even higher because of block chance since the expected amount of dmg it can mitigate before dying with capped 75% block is 4x5600 = 22400 HP

-High DPS
Not as high as RF can get but high enough. The dmg is even more scalable with double curses and kaom's heart.

-Extremely mobile and hard to hit
Due to cyclone.
-Immune to stun most of the time
Again due to cyclone.

-Good Life Regen
It has a good amount of regen over the RF's degen in order to be able to save a few flask uses and this only gets a lot better in packs due to the cyclone leech.

-High Block
69/52 and possibly capped with the Concoction unique flask. Can go higher with a few tree adjustments but don't know if its worth it.

-Lots of customizability through respecs.
You got everything tou want around you. You can get more life, more armour, more regen, more block chance in expense of something else but you have everything close to you.

CONS
- It's a melee build
The most significant negative side of the build is that it works only in very close (melee) range which forces you to face tank everything.

- Can't make some map mods.
Minus Max Resists, Low regen, Blood magic

- Low life leech against single mobs.
This reduces your total life regen significantly.

VERY IMPORTANT INFO (After some testing)

I'm still in the process of raising levels and improving the equipment but there are some very important things you should know about this build.

1) Energy Shield hurts you really bad. It lowers your regen by a lot so try to keep it low by not having (+ES mods) on equipment and by not increasing the quaility of the armor parts that give you ES (RotP shield, RainbowStride boots).

2) There is one more area (Life, Regen, DPS, Block) that you get in contrast with the pure life RF builds (Life, Regen, DPS). So in order fit the points you need to sacrifice something in return. I do sacrifice some life and currency to do that. I'm saying currency because you can't afford to go the +1 curse from the tree and you need to purchase a +1Curse Lazhwar which is the second most important item in the build after the RotP shield imo (still viable w/o it though).

3) Because of (1) and also because it's a build designed for endgame tree optimization you should expect to see the full capabilities in higher levels (85+). You should not expect to have all those areas (Life, Regen, DPS, Block) at full effectiveness at for example level (65-70).

4) Block acts like in the following examples.

Ex.1
RF char enters a room with 50 mobs dealing a sum of 16.000 dps.
- Normal Life RF is dead.
- Block RF recieves 4.000 DPS and gets away with it.

Ex.2
RF char recieves a single hit of 16.000 dps.
- Normal Life RF is dead.
- Block RF has an almost 3 out of 4 chance (75%) to block and recieve zero damage but with bad rng he can also die.

Ex.3
RF char recieves a single hit of 7.000 dps.
- Normal Life RF always gets away with it (considering he has >7k life).
- Block RF has an almost 3 out of 4 chance (75%) to block and recieve zero damage but he can also die in constrast with the Life RF Build (considering he has <7k life).

So as you see block is very trust worthy against many enemies but can be treacherous against single high dps hits.
Rumi's Concoction flask can really save you in tough situation where you can just pop it and have an instant stop to most of the damage you recieve.

5) YOU NEED TO SPEC THE TREE AS A NORMAL LIFE RF UNTIL AROUND 75-80 LVL
I can't stress that enough. Don't try to fit block at low levels instead spec for life and full regen first and then if you feel ok start adding block at higher levels or else you'll end up biting more than you can chew.

6) ENDGAME OPTIMIZATION
As it was proposed in the comments below, an endgame optimization will be to drop IR and grace at some point and go for Determination + More Life + Expensive equipment.
The trade-off here is money for better armour on streangth equipment (in order to match IR's total armour) for 5 life nodes instead of IR.

Sounds like an awesome trade-off! I have already done that and i can tell you it really pays off. I intend to update the thread with more info and videos when the transition feels completed.

7) Build is endgame optimized but is viable during the whole time!
Good thing is that everything can be done in stages and only with small changes on either the tree or the equipment. The core remains the same, the build only gets better with every stage.

Feel free to post you opinion on what might improve the build.
Last edited by georgatos7 on Sep 27, 2014, 7:54:43 PM
Reserved.

Just tried this and will definitely post numbers, impressions and some vids after i find the orbs to make the necessary adjustments.
Last edited by georgatos7 on Sep 12, 2014, 2:54:48 PM
I like your tree a lot; it looks very efficient.

Suggestion / Idea: What if you drop EE and go for US (2 points away), and instead of Cyclone use the synergy with the buffed Flame Surge?
Last edited by Fleischtorte on Aug 26, 2014, 9:31:27 AM
"
Fleischtorte wrote:
What if you drop EE and go for US...

Sorry, what is US?
Dreamfeather Elemental Cleave Ranger: http://www.pathofexile.com/forum/view-thread/1087616
Unwavering stance.

i was actually using block nodes with my RF pre 1.2 coz i needed it to farm atziri without losing xp. gj on build, only thing i will take is shield armour node going towards Templar instead of 10 dex node to take shortcut which will roughly give 90 base armour.

Edit: on second look, your gear's hybrid armour evasion, but if someone's doing this build in new league & have time to get armour on all gear then dropping IR for 1% max res cluster is so much better

https://www.poebuilder.com/character/AAAAAgEAxthYY18_458nL-8OUFAu_6IPpBl4DcEEhNkl3xv6YSF07YTveu9gSwUtxFgn1di9NZK18qlu_gocp8autz5TpQxf-ehBh1NSRZ2a4OvuKPqCxxZvGmydrqcIuJM26SSq-tIEsxRN8B8CcQPGFHGnMJ7NVbX9CyWtCfaDOO9842o8LV4T55HDhqyvfuJRYPuqoLTzBnF5FxwSaa9sxYrp1Qz3Xh-YrU99gFba3aIAqZV5aAthvooB3OLq5wsnYQbp875lTRiRUEcUIBRSR35fyocZbBb8SyftxPY=
Last edited by Pion33r on Aug 26, 2014, 10:16:54 AM
"
Pion33r wrote:
Edit: on second look, your gear's hybrid armour evasion, but if someone's doing this build in new league & have time to get armour on all gear then dropping IR for 1% max res cluster is so much better

IR + Grace gives a lot armor, even w/o Ev gear. On the other hand, RF is only sustainable with a maxed PoF AND the shield -- with out the Phoenix, even the 1% max Fire Res don't help. So its basically all or nothing, there is no smooth transition.
"
Fleischtorte wrote:
"
Pion33r wrote:

IR + Grace gives a lot armor, even w/o Ev gear. On the other hand, RF is only sustainable with a maxed PoF AND the shield -- with out the Phoenix, even the 1% max Fire Res don't help. So its basically all or nothing, there is no smooth transition.

without ROF RF build isnt viable & i never implied that it is. Also i think you should check determination gives More armour not increased, which makes determination superior over IR if gear is directed with all armour. proof https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=muPqlf9-GnM

with IR dropped, 1% max res will give that extra regen which could help mitigate extra damage that does go through block build & those 6+6+8 % life nodes arent something to miss on imo.
"
Fleischtorte wrote:
I like your tree a lot; it looks very efficient.

Suggestion / Idea: What if you drop EE and go for US (2 points away), and instead of Cyclone use the synergy with the buffed Flame Surge?

Thanks. Good think about the path is that it can be adjusted very easily with just a few regrets to suit everybodies needs since everything (block, life, regen, res, armour) is very close. Bad think though is that it becomes very effective at late game (~90 lvl char, 20 lvl auras), but hey, the end game performance is what matters and not that of the lower levels.

Indeed you could use Unwavering Stance instead of Cyclone and retain your mobility and stun immunity without any problems. Imo unwavering stance could be more useful than Cyclone against bosses and single targets but the life leech Cyclone offers against packs can be very useful also.

On the other hand the "50% more Damage against Burning enemies" from flame surge is applied to the attack from the flame surge spell itself and it's not a global effect that RF can benefit from so i wouldn't drop EE if this is what you meant.
Last edited by georgatos7 on Aug 27, 2014, 5:56:28 PM
"
Pion33r wrote:
Unwavering stance.

I was actually using block nodes with my RF pre 1.2 coz i needed it to farm atziri without losing xp. gj on build, only thing i will take is shield armour node going towards Templar instead of 10 dex node to take shortcut which will roughly give 90 base armour.

Thanks.

I think it's been calculated in the forums that in order to surpass IR + Grace combo you need at least 3,5k armour on your equipment. So you probably have to go to a good rare high armour chest that will not allow you to keep the nice +40% life from the Belly unless you are fine with a bit lower armor.

IR imo is like spending 5 passives to take belly from 540 Armour to a possible 2720 Armour (540+180+2000) (Belly Armour+Belly Evasion+Grace) which is worth it imo along with the rest of the versatility that it offers.

Then of course you can spend IR's points into Barbarism, life or whatever else is needed which isn't a bad idea and is a think i might consider also in the future based on the equipment i have.

The good think though is that you can easily respec into everything. I just choose what i considered as the safer path of IR+Grace (at least for now).

Last edited by georgatos7 on Aug 27, 2014, 5:57:12 PM
"
Pion33r wrote:
Also i think you should check determination gives More armour not increased, which makes determination superior over IR if gear is directed with all armour.
You are right! The outcome Deter vs. IR+Grace is the same, but Determination wins the game, because it doesn't need extra DEX nodes and gear.

Thx for this advice.

Edit: What if, MF is NOT the main source of dmg, more precisely, what if this build only uses MF as dmg-boost for, f.e., burning Flameblast? Because, lets be real, its not the highest life build, therefor MF lacks damage --> put RF on a socket ring and go for a Burning FB setup, the clear speed should be higher. What do you think?
Last edited by Fleischtorte on Aug 27, 2014, 4:31:15 AM

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info