Item transfer across leagues idea

In a post about low level items dropping in high level areas Chris mentioned his desire to encourage twinking (giving good items to new characters you make).

I like twinking as well, but, the problem is you are not low level long enough to be worth all the hassle. Your uber level 5 req items are obsolete in an hour and you need another set and another and another.

What happens is you twink yourself with high level items (like 70+) and rush yourself or get rushed and leech till you are 70+ and can equip them. It happened all the time in D2 like it was almost the only way to play (I remember a level 80+ Amazon leeching in D2 cow games without even holding a weapon - they said they were waiting till 85 to equip a Windforce and they felt that was the way the game was supposed to be played).

Apart from low level dueling all low level items and mostly the first 2 (3 in PoE) difficulty levels are redundant.

Apart from mechanisms to try to prevent rushing and leeching what can you do about it?

What about an option to create leagues with stash shared with say the default league? There won't be any rushing or leeching because there won't be any high level characters, and uber low level twink items become useful and valuable.

I think a twinked ladder race leagues would be more varied and interesting than un-twinked.
Totally not what I thought the thread was going to be about from the title; this is a much better idea than what I thought you would say! I really like this idea, it could definitely make for an interesting race.

That said, I never played D2 the way you described. I did keep low-level items (not super-low-level, but there were things you could start equipping in your 20s that would last you til about the 60s that were worth it — Stealth, Spirit, etc) for new characters, and I frequently played through the game again from the beginning.
so wat the hardcore players can powerlevel with uber items enjoying things way more than ppl starting with crap things?

altho i bet that before the change if u unequiped everything and left it in the stash only the character gets transfered to legacy league....

Last edited by morrello on Oct 3, 2011, 4:44:43 PM
It'd be an interesting idea if all the items you decided to transfer to your character from the Default League could not be transferred back and were wiped at the end of the competition.
Forum Sheriff
"
Fluffy wrote:
I think a twinked ladder race leagues would be more varied and interesting than un-twinked.
The whole point of a ladder race is getting your character as high as possible with no outside influence or help. Doing this would just give the "richer" characters a huge advantage.
Closed Beta/Alpha Tester back after a 10-year hiatus.
Kiwi pets and Spark spam FTW.
the hardcore ppl playing 24/7 wins the ladder anyway no point trying its not really an event coz of that
"
whiteBoy88 wrote:
"
Fluffy wrote:
The whole point of a ladder race is getting your character as high as possible with no outside influence or help. Doing this would just give the "richer" characters a huge advantage.

Whole point? The point of anything in the game is to make it interesting and enjoyable to play.

'Richer' characters have a huge advantage in PVP does that make PVP junk?

The point of my suggestion was to give players something do (become rich) in the default league to support their activities in other leagues and to make good low level req items useful and valuable rather than junk.
That's a fairly poor argument. The "richer" people don't start with a huge PvP advantage, as compared to a ladder race. They had to build up the advantage in PvP over time. A ladder race is supposed to start from a level playing field, where only skill and time invested are what determine the winners. Starting off with excellent gear to let you breeze through levels is hardly a fair start.
Closed Beta/Alpha Tester back after a 10-year hiatus.
Kiwi pets and Spark spam FTW.
It's just another thing they could do. I wouldn't have most ladder races that way, but as a "different" kind of race to do once in a while, it could be interesting.
Perhaps this idea would only apply to Leagues not participating in Ladders?

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info