Suggestion: add a female melee or hybrid class

"
Sparhawk wrote:
Can I use that as my sig? That is a hilarious observation.

Heh :P

<JCD>Suuure.</JCD>
"
Sparhawk wrote:
"
Thomas wrote:
...and being told I "type like a girl" (I assumed this was because I typed like I stayed in school) was strangely disconcerting.

Can I use that as my sig? That is a hilarious observation.

Here I was thinking what an excellent compliment to girls that was :P

Personally, the choice to be able to play as either gender would be good, but I find playing as a female is a calmer experience as males are less likely to be aggressive (for no reason) in-game - for example "wtf you wearing that armour for, it sucks", etc.
You should do what diablo has done, make the classes both male and female.
Build a man a fire, he'll stay warm for a day. Set a man on fire, he'll stay warm for the rest of his life.
Honestly as someone who has gamed for ages.

I'm a male..I've never, ever minded the fact that some characters are in general gender locked. Sometimes that'd be my cue that I would like how the character actually plays (most games I notice give the female chars a certain playstyle).

So I'm quite ok playing females. Also the whole going to the grocery store and being mistaken as someone the opposite gender? Even when I didn't cut my hair....if I had no stash on my face..people thought I was a girl.

People still do it because of how I talk...and I've done experiments where I never referred to myself as one gender or another (trust me very hard typing that at times). And just acted like myself, people tend to think me female.

So I completely understand it..and I've just learned to live with it..and not mind if the char I played was female or male, I'll play most of them equally, and even in games that give a choice I'll go ahead and sometimes pick female for different aesthetics for me to view in game (though far too many games have women dress slutty for no reason). Though I will admit it was hilarious when people would ask me why I picked a female char to play in wow..when I'm male...and my reply was always to say "if I'm going to look at the butt of someone all day long..it might as well be a pretty one."

It usually took them a few moments but it eventually dawned on them..I'm playing horde...my 'pretty behind' was literally a trolls behind :D.

But still, male or female I'll still try out the new character :). From how the skill trees currently look (and I'm assuming the new passive tree will have some similarities) I think the dex/int class will be the class that does what i want to do heh.
I tend to be a very opinionated and brief poster. Due to this I often come across more hostile than I really am, sorry bout that. Also my train of thought is odd, something I just forget to post needed information, or assume its already known.
"
Thomas wrote:
but given the amount of feedback we've received on this issue I would be surprised if changing your character's gender doesn't become a microtransaction option some time in the future.

That's the best news I've heard all week! I've been really, really hoping that you guys would implement gender choices for all the classes in the future.

I also think it's a great thing to have as a paid feature of the game, it's a win-win situation for everybody. I get to play as a female character of the class I want, GGG makes some money and it doesn't hurt the game in any way, shape or form.

Brilliant stuff!
When my character is piled under a mountain of armor and a flurry of spells or attacks. I kind of stop noticing their gender.
POE, Diablo III, and Torchlight 2... what, who says I can't enjoy all of them?
Gender choices are expensive art wise. I'm sure you would rather them spend their time and money in other aspects of the game for now.

That said - I never play female characters, and I'll even sometimes refuse to play gender locked females. (I'll probably end up never playing a Witch.. Ranger is my favorite D&D/RPG class so I have no choice there)
I'm a male and usually play females because female characters tend to be less hulking and awkward. I've never really been into the whole "I AM GIANT AND SWING BIG SWORD" thing, and males usually give off that vibe in RPG's.

This was definitely the case in WoW. Human males were so awkward looking; the female counterparts just moved, casted, and attacked better. Same with Draenei. Tauren everything was bad though.
Also, for the record, I'm quite certain that Ranger can be used in melee. It gets frustrating, due to the problems with Evasion currently, but the skill and item support is there (and the loss of Power Charges is no big deal).

I also am male, and my two characters are Witch and Ranger... *shrug* I like mages and I like finesse characters, so this often happens in gender-locked games. Assassin and Sorceress were by-far my favorite options in Diablo II.
"
Loumy wrote:

I only play female characters. I'm a woman and I don't want to play a male character. It matters a lot to me, that I can have a female character.

Currently I can only play two classes, and it feels very limited :-(

That's ridiculous.

This game is not a role playing game (as much as it might be called RPG), it's an action hack'n'slash rogue-like/dungeon-crawler.

The character you choose cannot be acted in any way. You make ZERO story decisions, and there is virtually no plot, and at least currently, absolutely no player character dialogue.

This is not World of Warcraft. This is not Baldur's Gate. This is not Second Life. This is not fallout.

You need to understand that some games it may be pretty important to include other gender options, and other games where it's completely pointless.

If I want to play a Caster, or a attacker, or whatever, I don't care if it's a female or a male — it's still a caster, and there's nothing that gender has an impact on at all.
People won't even assume you're a female because many females play male characters and many males play female characters. People will only assume you're a female if you say you are and/or you choose a really out-of-character girly name. Even if one of both of those previous conditions are met, some people still would not completely trust you are who you say you are — that's the reality of the internet, and you have to deal with it.

Sure in a perfect world maybe gender choice would be a small bonus, but at the moment it's not worth the trade-off.
"
Gender choices are expensive art wise. I'm sure you would rather them spend their time and money in other aspects of the game for now.

That all said, it's certainly possible the 3rd hybrid class will be female. Even if it wasn't a female though, you'd still have two other female characters, which accounts for 33% of the characters — What's so wrong with that? If you want to play Melee, rangers can do that, since there's not only dexterity swords and dexterity shields, but there's str-dex swords and str-dex shields which a ranger would also be able to use very effectively.

Whether you decide to miss out on 50% of the characters or 67% of the characters, you're still missing out on a bunch of content — it's just terribly silly to ignore it as if it wasn't there.
Fresh cakes for all occasions.
Delivery in 30 eons or less
Call 1-800-DOMINUS
Remember - 'Dominus Delivers'
Last edited by Xapti on Oct 3, 2011, 3:57:55 PM

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info