Suggestion: Remote Skill Orb

Sorry, i wasn't sure where to put suggestions, so i threw it here.

But I thought it would be cool if there was a skill that allowed you to throw an orb or some sort of magical object that would then channel spells through it.

My friend suggested, for balance means, it be a support gem where you link it to a skill. You can then you can cast that skill through the orb.

Benefits? You can have your character cast his AoE's without putting yourself at risk. Or something similar. However, i do realize how powerful this could be in some situations.

So for balance, i suggest possibly having to double the mana cost of any spell cast through it, or adding the mana cost of the orb and the spell together each time a spell is cast through it. Or possibly reduced damage. Reduced range perhaps.

Anyway, that's my 2 cents.
they have a trap support gem planned that will turn skills in to traps.
Thats kinda cool actually, i can't wait to see that. But this is a bit different, it allows you to cast through the orb as if you were the orb. This allows you to cast spells from a remote position before diving in yourself and getting yourself killed.

Possibly another variation is that it casts a more powerful version of the spell once then vanishes.

But yea, those trap gems would be cool. I would like to see something like ice spear become a mine that when set off sends ice shards in every direction.
Ooh I like that idea. :3
Im that friend btw, and I support this idea.

"
subbypuppyjay wrote:
Ooh I like that idea. :3

Subby puppy? Oh dear...
"
Axianamos wrote:
Thats kinda cool actually, i can't wait to see that. But this is a bit different, it allows you to cast through the orb as if you were the orb. This allows you to cast spells from a remote position before diving in yourself and getting yourself killed.

Possibly another variation is that it casts a more powerful version of the spell once then vanishes.

But yea, those trap gems would be cool. I would like to see something like ice spear become a mine that when set off sends ice shards in every direction.

You mean you remotely trigger the traps yourself rather than the enemy triggering it?

Not sure that would fit in, it would require its own mechanic coding in,press to throw press to trigger.It sounds like the Occular in Twowworlds 2 but in that you look through the eye of the occular which doing the same in POE would leave you vulnerable,POE is a faster paced game than TW2.
"
Kavlor wrote:
"
Axianamos wrote:

You mean you remotely trigger the traps yourself rather than the enemy triggering it?

Not sure that would fit in, it would require its own mechanic coding in,press to throw press to trigger.It sounds like the Occular in Twowworlds 2 but in that you look through the eye of the occular which doing the same in POE would leave you vulnerable,POE is a faster paced game than TW2.

No, what i mean is you throw the orb into a room full of zombies, then cast ice nova. Rather than the ice nova coming from you, it comes from the orb. Or you cast fireball, and it shoots a fireball from the orb, rather than yourself.

I don't know how this would interact with melee skills, it likely wouldn't, but i gather it would be mostly a caster mechanism anyway.

"Possibly another variation is that it casts a more powerful version of the spell once then vanishes."

I was talking about the orb here, i know that wasn't clear. Sorry
Last edited by Axianamos on Sep 28, 2011, 11:45:33 AM
He is basically talking about a skill gem that creates a new cast point for the spell.

It's a nifty idea, but not sure if it is easy to implement for projectile spells. Would work great for spells like Frost Nova (though it would basically be Cold Snap then).

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info