itemization: troubles of a narrow mind

"
Terrornoid wrote:

Fun is subjective, and as such, there really isn't any "right" answer to playing Path of Exile. We can both enjoy the game in ways we find appealing. Different strokes for different folks. That is all.

agreed. I think the only way to play the game incorrectly is to not have fun while you play.
Hey...is this thing on?
I'm using Veil of the Night. It rocks.
No. Calm down. Learn to enjoy losing.
"
Terrornoid wrote:
Min/Maxer here.

The way you enjoy the game and the way I enjoy the game are totally different. You seem to enjoy a variety of content, such as items, skills, and passive trees. For you, exploring options is entertainment. I, however, only enjoy the most optimized versions of the content you enjoy. I enjoy being powerful; making the strongest characters possible within the rules and confines of the game is what makes me tick.

Us Min/Maxers are entirely aware of the potential of all items in the game. It's kind-of our thing. We aren't ignorant to items you've mentioned, they just don't provide us with the entertainment we desire.

Fun is subjective, and as such, there really isn't any "right" answer to playing Path of Exile. We can both enjoy the game in ways we find appealing. Different strokes for different folks. That is all.

excellent post.

but imagine taking something your fellow min/maxers view as trash, and building a powerful character with it.
food for thought.

build a character "just right", without using the exact same stuff all other min/maxers use.
not *as powerful*, but 100% yours.
Alva: I'm sweating like a hog in heat
Shadow: That was fun
"
excellent post.

but imagine taking something your fellow min/maxers view as trash, and building a powerful character with it.
food for thought.

build a character "just right", without using the exact same stuff all other min/maxers use.
not *as powerful*, but 100% yours.

then he would be a medium averager and not a min/maxer and he just told you he is just that.

Note: i am using medium averager not as a bad or wrong word here, since i am one of those guys.
i just couldn't think of another therm that fits the description in this context :p.(it's late and i'm sleepy :O )

Don't enforce your own vision on a fellow player, clearly he is enjoying himself within the rules of the game :P?

Peace,

-Boem-

(also i agree, that's a cool post terror :D, nicely written)
Freedom is not worth having if it does not include the freedom to make mistakes
When you say 'life and triple resist or vendor', are you talking about rares?

Because all your counter examples are of uniques.

"
ScrotieMcB wrote:
I strongly believe that finding strong uses for underappreciated uniques is the secret to fun in this game. I actually made an entire thread on the subject before.

Although I'm at a loss when it comes to Immortal Flesh, outside of it being pretty nice while leveling up.

I'll probably never try it but part of my mind is fixated on the idea of using immortal flesh with Veil of night, then using arctic armor probably with EB.
Standard Forever
Last edited by iamstryker on May 9, 2014, 9:45:29 PM
No the problem with NERFS is that eventually you will need to trade trade trade rather than grind grind grind. That is because eventually you no longer can find upgrades due to changes in affixes. This is especially true for anyone who started pre nerf. Ie heres my curr amulet which is a virgin drop besides blessing the implicit.

Pretty nice and glad I kept it. Its the only drop I use on my leveling/dps/non mf gear. Can I find an upgrade? Unlikely due to crit nerfs. So nerfing just killed any amulet grind. Same with current drops. How much harder is it to get a nice item with the constrained affixes when legacy items abound.

Cchange the math dont change the gear. Then no legacies. How hard is this to figure out. Ie change crit mult calc instead of just nerfing new crit mult rolls. Every gear nerf makes farming and thus THE GAME less fun to play. This is the problem (besides desync and bs minion snapshotting)
Last edited by faustian1 on May 9, 2014, 9:54:35 PM
"
johnKeys wrote:
the point of this thread is beyond the two examples I gave.

a self-proclaimed min/maxer sees something that doesn't fit in his pre-set "godly" filter - and dumps it over at Hargan.
by doing so, he misses out on most of the game's itemization.

you need to evaluate each item you find or get individually, and think about it's potential rather than its stats fitting your pre-set view of "good" or its "price" on the damn PoE flea market.

you need to think, and experiment.

for another example, this
is an awesome unique, if used correctly.
we all know how the min/maxers and hardcore-traders call it though, right?
exactly: "troll mantle".
that, which is not Shavronne's Wrappings.
that, which doesn't "sell" for a whole lot of Exalts.
well fuck Exalts! they aren't even orbs - they are dollar bills.

I have a ton of examples.
especially stuff Diamond and Eternal Supporters spent tons of money and effort making - only to get ignored because not "OP" or "sell-able".

if that's D3 mentality like someone said here, then no. don't bring that shit over to PoE.

...what?

Most people who call Infernal Mantle "Troll Mantle" call it that because it shares the same base as Shav's, so when one sees it on the ground they experience a momentary surge of excitement followed by disappointment because they've obtained yet another 1 chaos unique. It is also likely that they know IM is also good for most fire builds (chaos damage penetrates resistance and lowers the amount of damage reflected, fairly decent ES). Is this thread going to be yet another anti-D3 circlejerk where people praise the depth of PoE and how it caters to their refined tastes *tips fedora* while bashing the simpleton pleb babby D3 players?
I personally love trying new and unconventional builds (that I think of independently) and working with my gear as a level to make them strong.

My RF build aside, I don't really see anyone else using the builds I've been very successful with, which makes it fun for me to answer questions in parties like 'WTH you using man?' and getting 'oh man i want to try that' comments.

The big thing is that you don't need perfect gear to make a build work. It's easier, yes, but given the prices of 'perfect' gear in the market, I'd rather craft my own stuff or purchase relatively inexpensive gear.

Heck, I have a level 78 char that can get away with not being resist capped, and my ambush char, who just hit a3m, has been able to solo dominus (both difficulties), as well as a lot of other bosses, without capped resists.

It's a solid skill to be able to make do with what you have, both in games and in real life.

Cheers

-Savage
Theorycrafter/Build Creator for PORTAL guild
@BlightScourge -> guide @ view-thread/1382667 (Retired till Mjolner is fixed)
Lvl 94 Crit Mjolner Marauder
twitch.tv/savagewolves

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info