[Closed]Aegis Aurora CI Tempest Shield? Let's Block!!

Revamped and edited.
Made a new topic for it.
Didn't want people to be confused by the comments when the build didn't even remotely match up.

New version here:
http://www.pathofexile.com/forum/view-thread/100142
Last edited by colexian on Feb 4, 2013, 4:47:12 PM
Hey, Saw your post, wanted to post my build which is based on the same idea, but different passive build.

I'd like to start by asking if you are sure that the life regen to energy shield works the way you think. Are you sure that it will apply the regen amount to the total of the shield? I think the way it would work would be to figure out your life regen based on your hp, then apply it to the shield instead of hp.

Spoiler
http://www.pathofexile.com/passive-skill-tree/AAAAAgUBBVuLjOFz7SBG113G3fNgbZ2AgzgUTaIA8B_Fiq9s6dUM9yQltoZ9UwSzgW-ePE3YjHY62Ow4KU-Cmxo4p4SQVcAaZp6plXB9UWAaMoBWT3360h0UTDUoxfO-NunjaiSqGYXvfBpsna6IujWAMQGnCNgkNsU22PFs7FWPRtDQm6Fnve5vHwLmfIXFfuIrDZit98HPZVXGFm8=

Instead of spreading really far to hit up CI, I stay mostly in the templar area, picking up as many of the life skills as possible. This will lower the effectiveness of the "4% es per block", but I think the huge amount of hp, and all resists gained will make up for it. In addition, it allows me to grab some really nice elemental damage boosts, and even some extra charge cap if I want to.

Main DPS skills are of course Tempest and Molten.

Your idea of using Shock Nova with concentrated strike is an awesome one, and one I would like to use.

Skill build:
Molten Shell - Fire Penetration, Iron Will
Tempest Shield - Increased Critical Strikes, Elemental Proliferation
Shock Nova - Concentrated Effect, Elemental Proliferation, Increased Critical Strikes (possibly on the same armor as Tempest shield, they need the same stuff)
Clarity - Since the only things I need to cast are Shock Nova, and Molten Shell, I think a high amount of mana regen will serve better than a large mana pool.
Leap Slam - This is mainly for moving around the battlefield. Sometimes when shit goes south you just need to gtfo.
Enduring Cry - More tankyness. With easy access to an extra endurance point, and the want to be tanky anyways, theres almost no reason to not take it.

Possible Skills:
Detonate Dead - Spell totem (because the fire damage isnt part of the damage that levels up, I believe it should stay the same on a totem, and will increase the AOE damage we have once stuff starts dying)
Fireball - Greater Multiple Projectiles, Iron will, Fire Penetration (I believe that multiple fireballs can hit the same target. If so, this would give us a good, point blank single target damage spell)

Okay, so the way this *should* work:

High Hp and Resistances from passives alone. In addition, we get a fair amount of armor and ES, along with about 64% block chance.

The passive skill Elemental Equalibrium should give us a huge amount of burst. Everything will take electric damage, lowering their resistance to fire, and when the molten shield pops it will be a huge nuke. It will lower our electrical damage, but the electrical damage is mostly there as a damage buff for our fire damage. If this doesnt work out the way it should, its easy to drop that skill.

I took a lot of stuff that will help me to apply the "shocked" status to groups of monsters. What this does is buff all damage taken by 40% per stack of shocked status. A quick lesson for those not in the know: Shocked status is applied whenever an electrical damage attack crits. Because both Tempest Shield and Lightning Nova have bonus crit chance, it should apply regularly. In addition, we have Elemental proliferation on both of them, so those shocked statuses will spread to all nearby enemies.

Tempest Shield and Molten shell will handle most enemies by themselves, and against single Target Monsters, I believe that spamming Lightning Nova and point blank GMP Fireballs should handle bosses.

I'll calculate out the Exact Bonuses for hp, es, armor, ect later. This should do for a basic build overview.
Last edited by Dethdukk on Feb 1, 2013, 12:22:37 PM
i am building up a similar build atm.

ofc it doesn't use aurora/ci but it is based around molten/tempest/block for dps and the neck you posted alongside resistances for spellblock.

one thing i can say is that tempest ties really, really nice with chance to shock passive +elemental proliferation. it will do wonders for your dps, both aoe wise (since it is easier to get 3 stacks due to proliferation) and single target (since you usually block more times till the boss dies)

you could also put some +burn damage passives and chance to ignite support on molten (+30%chance to ignite from max quality on molten) which is also nice to add as a dps support.

you obvious flow of your build imo is heavy hitters. imagine that you don't block brutus p.e., you just got a huge spike damage, now then even if you block he is only one mob and it's only 4% of your armor...

so against fast hitting/multiple mobs your build will work (it has the defence, it has the ES regen, it has enough aoe damage)

against heavy, slow hitters you will have problems i think. add to that ~2/3spells will still hit you (so you will need to build up resistances). also no reliable single target nuke.
I was building something similar to this. Sadly I died while I was in Act 3 HC just out of damn bad luck. (Attack/Move Speed, Crit, Extra Dmg, yes 3 yellows all ranged with about 7 other mobs appeared out of the corner of my screen when I was lvl 34 in Docks and I was tanking 5-6 mobs already that were blue, but shit happens. And no not the dogs, I can tank any number of those with 80% in all my resistances but aside from the point of bad luck)

I was working with Frost Spells instead of lightning. Now they don't deal as much damage, but they give you a stupid stupid stupid amount of survivability. I before that moment never went below 50% HP (I was at 900 with 280 ES working my way to EVEN more HP and tankiness) This was going to be my build for cruel.

I see a lot of Flaws in that build. Sorry to say. It's premise is GREAT buttttt. Your dmg wouldn't make most mobs bat an eye. You're missing A LOT OF ELEMENTAL RESISTS. A LOT OF CORE HP NODES (No Disciple and Training and missing 2 close fitnesses) Yes you invest more but you deal more damage and can take more damage. Resistances are core in almost any build and are CORE on any build hardcore or not. You're also investing too much into block. I know you want your build to revolve around block but its GREAT but you sacrifice too much for it. You also won't have the mana regen or mana pool to sustain any spell casting. You're also missing oh so very much of your HP nodes and if you want to go into ES you're better off venturing further into Sorc as well.

I hope I have helped and you have learned a bit.

Edit: Just saw all the HP nodes and Templars doesn't work like that and you have so much Strength that you'd lose too much HP and gain too little ES for this build. Had it been in previous Closed beta this build would have been OK. You can do it but honestly you're in for a rude awakening. You're missing vital ES nodes. You have too much str, not enough intellect. I don't know what I could do to fix it so it works. I gave you an example of my build, I hope you read a bit into it. Sorry, but I feel this build needs a ton of tweaking to the point I don't want to touch it.

Edit2: Ok I lied to messed with it a bit. No CI but you'll survive more trust me.

-TKOva
Last edited by TKOva on Feb 1, 2013, 12:50:15 PM
Nova, your build is good but it has almost no block chance boost. Also, you spend a lot of points running for the immunity to dodge, which while I'm sure is worth a lot, may not be worth the 10+ points you put into it. You can easily get that armor boost elsewhere, and the mana cost lowering is not that amazing. you miss out on a lot of int, damage, and block because of it, and I don't think it's worth it. Most of the damage comes from molten shield anyways, which doesn't care if you are stunned or not, and the build is tanky enough that unless shit goes seriously south it wont matter.

Edit: sorry I meant immunity to stun, inability to evade.
Last edited by Dethdukk on Feb 1, 2013, 1:07:34 PM
i agree with above poster. TKova's build loses a ton of block just to get stun immunity (which is minor for a good shield build imo since you have good shield recovery either way)

for me, (without aurora and more focused on hp rather than ES/CI) block chance is huge:

first of all a block is 100%mitigration as far as molten shield is concerned, so i don't need a ton of +armor for it to proc reliably, a few blocks and it pops.

don't forget that nearby there are plenty of endurance charge passives, so it's quite easy to grab those for an additional 20-35% less damage from physical when you do get hit and another 20-35% all res, coupled with another 30% from shield passives, nd easy access to another diamond skin node and etc.

as for OP's idea with the aurora, the thing i think it's missing is as i said in my 1st post single target boss thinies: a solid single target nuke p.e. (i am using IB with plenty of +fire and +weapon elemental and auras in my build as main attack, so i don't really have a problem there) and a solid defence against slow hitters.

a life build based around block usually doesn't has that problem. you get hit once hard, you chug a pot or life regen it while you block the next one. but with ES natural lack of regen/pots you are relying on aurora for that ES regen. But Aurora is more for many/fast hitters. 4% of armor won't refill your ES unless you maybe time it right with a granite flask

the bolded part is quite important imo. roll some good mods on some granite flasks and maybe it will alleviate your problem somewhat. Also take the +30% buff effect and 45%duration that is nearby for that reason: more armor on molten shield= more ES return. More armor on granite flasks the same. 1%free block from temporal and etc.
@Dethdukk
Spoiler
Yes, I am very sure that Zealot's Oath changes %HP per second to be based off maximum Energy Shield not off would-be maximum health.
Source: http://www.pathofexile.com/forum/view-thread/84403

The entire build is based around gaining back a massive amount of energy shield per block, so not having CI leaves you completely vulnerable to chaos damage which will go straight through to your not-so-meaty bits due to lack of HP nodes.
As far as the shock ailment goes, it would be fruitless to attempt it. The duration of your shock is based on the lightning damage done and it won't be dealing enough lightning damage to leave them shocked for more than half a second. Also there is really no reason not to have Iron Will on Tempest. It does not suffer from the reduced cast time, except when you first entire the zone.

@zetiss
Spoiler
Molten Shell Templar builds are quite common. The whole reasoning behind this entire build is a combination of CI, without which we are completely vulnerable to chaos damage which goes through our main defense and hits the tiny unbuffed health bar which is that way because of our large amount of ES, and Aegis Aurora, which is what keeps our ES hopefully somewhat full.
Burn and shock passives are next to useless without hard hits to back them up, since the length of time they are active is based on the damage dealt on the attack that caused them. At best you would end up shocking or burning mobs for half a second, and not seeing any kind of DPS increase that would be helpful. The core vulnerabilities, like you said, is against single hard hitting mobs... Which your suggestions don't really effect at all.

@TKOva
Spoiler
First, level 34 is not even close to getting this build to its potential, considering it is based off an item that can't be used till 30 levels later than that. I already have a templar at level 40 in cruel act 1 and his dps is fine without many passives. DPS really comes from gems and gear on this build. The fact that you suggest health makes me think either you don't know how CI works, which makes any health nodes completely worthless for this build, or you want to remove CI from the build which just makes this another Molten Shell templar... Of which there are hundreds. This build is specifically designed around it's energy shield, and without CI, like I said to the other posters, it would succumb very quickly to chaos damage. I did not miss out on any needed elemental resists... In fact, the build I posted has +47% to all elemental resistances and +5% to maximum.
And the build you suggested built full health and then goes halfway across the map for the stun immunity which wouldn't be useful for you because you have so much health.
Honestly, I don't think you really know what I was going for with my build.

@Zetiss's 2nd reply
Spoiler
Popping a granite flask with this build will increase the amount of ES I regain per block by 120, so I had planned on having two with me at a time.
I am experimenting with single target damage and sustain.

Please don't come suggest a build that doesn't have CI and doesn't use Aegis Aurora.
There are about a thousand molten shell Templar builds like that already.
This build could not deal with chaos damage without CI, and if you are building health then Aegis Aurora is useless, and then you might as well make a whole new build which defeats the original point and idea.
Last edited by colexian on Feb 1, 2013, 2:01:47 PM
To people suggesting adding elemental status ailments to the build for dps, remember that the duration of the status ailment is based on the elemental damage dealt from the attack that caused it versus the target's maximum HP. With this build's elemental damage, you would cause less than a 300ms status ailment which would be completely ignored by the game.
I would like to point out that my build would still use Aurora and the Necklace. Both of them compliment the build very well, and my build has enough armor, block, and ES that it would help it greatly. Expecting people to stick to chaos innoculation is an odd thing though, since CI is a very "niche" spell, and templars have so much hp boost choices near them that its easier (and perhaps more practical) to just grab the hp and leave CI alone.

On a different build note, the single target dps issue:

Would grabbing a firestorm, bound with a spell totem, iron will, fire pen, and concentrated damage (in the best of circumstances of course) and then grabbing the extra totem passive give enough single target dps you think? the extra totem passive is pretty close to templar, and with 2 totems raining down fire I think most elites would drop pretty quickly. The main issue I can see is mobile mobs dodging the damage, but that shouldn't be too big an issue with you tanking. Would also help with AOE damage in general situations, and might help with the ranged mobs/mages that the build is known to have problems with.
i wasn't actually saying that you dont use CI. i just used my own build that doesnt as a referance to saw you the drawbacks of CI in such a build. i was actually trying to make a build using CI and aurora while you were replying.

i come up with something like that:
http://www.pathofexile.com/passive-skill-tree/AAAAAgUBBVuLjOFz7SBG113GtQRFRzEBNYCIup2uEmkXHKcIj0bQ0JuhZ73ubx0UuJMMfRB_xp760maeqZVRYBoygFZPfXB9cU2az0NjtzFY9Z3ETDUoxeOC5wvesMAaWfPd87aGTdiMdqyqJ-3z3Wfipj5c9OnVDPc8LcT2KU_sODrYZ5spLny4xq5m2bRzGNc0vhku2WFXDfuq8wagtNgkNsUfAuZ8hcV-4tIhns3Ujz38BAdMsy0fbRnB8-QioqN_xsHFLL_sGMNtnjyBb_O-Kw1VtcEEEtkaPvGs98FxeYKb

NOTE: as the build is atm it is 100% NOT USABLE. that is due to little to no damage present in it.

if granite flasks add their armor bonus before the +%armor bonus (which i trully dont know) then you are looking at more than +400es regen every time you block.
i removed ZO and regen just because i dont like it.

now, in my build as i said there is virtually no damage to back it up. Burn duration has nothing to do with amount of damage. it is always 4sec baring +burn duration passives.

now, in very near vicinity there are nodes worth 110%fire/aoe damage alongside with another 20elemental damage. and a good sceptre/wand and equip you are looking at roughly 160-170increased damage on molten. add that burn is 133% of that damage and with the passives nearly 215% and really high base molten shell damage (around 1150 at lvl 18gem) you are looking for a ~6.4k over 4 sec dot.

for single target you could put a concetrated effect on it for nice boost. i strongly recomend trying the shock passives, i use them and they work even though their only increase is 20%from passives and 20%from sceptre.

the problem though is actually finding enough points for those damage nodes (i am missing 12 nodes which you will have to take out from either +armor or +es or somethng)

the REAL problem that i noticed when i toyed with the calculator was the choice of armor:
you want high armor for high ES regen and you want high ES for base ES.. which leaves you with templar gear which is i don't know how it will work out (you wont have super high armor or super high ES :/)

edit: if you manage to get the fire nodes, shotgun gmp-fireballs with additional supports will do good damge i think (not great, but good)
for heavy hitters you will have to kite if you get a string of bad blocks till natural regen kicks in
Last edited by zetiss on Feb 1, 2013, 2:21:30 PM

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info