1.3 Blitz Diarrhea | Static Strike | Feb 3. Major Update!

I think you don't understand the math behind the AoE dps. Your weapon elemental dmg nodes only increase 60% of my hit damage while my physical nodes increase 100% of my hit damage, which results in higher AoE dmg. Also my attack speed increased both my hit and AoE dps as more aps = more projectiles per second.

And to make it perfectly clear, these are the nodes you somehow missed on my 100 pts tree:

These 2 clusters give me 76% incr. pdmg and 25% increased attack speed (keep in mind I don't even count the melee physical node that only increased my hit dps).

edit: even after the dmg bonus from str with these two clusters above I deal more dps (hit and AoE) than with your tree.

edit: I forgot about that 12% ele dmg node that applies to both hit and AoE dmg. With this passive and bonus from strenght in best case scenario for you the dps (AoE) may be just a bit lower than mine.

edit: calculated, your dps (hit + AoE) would be 747 (using that 100 dmg example) and mine would be 769, the only difference is my dps includes a bit more hit dmg and your a bit more AoE dmg. But considering it's my only offensive skill I find my dmg more balanced as this skill is also supposed to serve against bosses. Another thing you didn't take into account is Hatred which is calculated as % of physical damage, so all those ele dmg nodes have less effect (except that 12% pure ele dmg one).
Last edited by Dzwonsson on May 2, 2014, 7:39:57 PM
I can see your point on Weapon Elemental Damage. Though, I did not miss those clusters you screen shotted. I only missed the 20% attack speed mentioned in the Path of POE calculator, which I already corrected myself on.

You must have did your math post while I was posting mine because I didn't see it. I was going to do that math to see which actually did more damage.

I guess the main thing to take from my tree is Iron Grip then, which you already plan to do.

Edit: I do understand how Path of Exile math works. I was just doing the most basic, almost meaningless, example. I was thinking strictly of aoe damage too, though.
SynTrSr - Trickster Soulrend/Bane
Last edited by generaldave on May 2, 2014, 7:50:54 PM
"
generaldave wrote:
I can see your point on Weapon Elemental Damage. Though, I did not miss those clusters you screen shotted. I only missed the 20% attack speed mentioned in the Path of POE calculator, which I already corrected myself on.

You must have did your math post while I was posting mine because I didn't see it. I was going to do that math to see which actually did more damage.

I guess the main thing to take from my tree is Iron Grip then, which you already plan to do.
Well, you missed them in sense you didn't include them in your tree while I did. I have to say that after all those calculations those 2 trees are pretty comparable with the main differences being your own preference e.g. more hit or AoE dmg and more life or block chance + armor. I also tried to pick those mace nodes above Resolute Techniques instead of those damage and attack speed nodes in the Ranger starting area, still came up with lower dps. However, Iron Grip could be a real change maker. I'll have to see about my chance to hit at higher levels, switching Resolute Techniques to Iron Grip might be worth considering if my chance to hit will be around 90%, especially that there are very few evasive mobs, almost exclusively limuited to some rare and unique ones.

54% increased projectile damage, 6% increased physical damage, +15 base life (which translates into additional 45 or so life).
Last edited by Dzwonsson on May 2, 2014, 7:57:11 PM
I came up with totally different numbers than you. And again the statistics are gotten from Path of POE skill tree calculator. According to this, my tree (with Iron Grip) does do more damage per second than your 100 point (without). Not by much though. As before, this is assuming a 1 attack per second, 100 damage weapon.

Tinypic of my Excel calculations.

Once you add in Iron Grip, yours is a good chunk more damage per second than mine.

Edit: Not sure why that image didn't work, but the url is there. And, yeah, if you have 90% chance to hit, I would agree with dropping Resolute for Iron Grip.

Edit 2: Changed IMG to URL seems how IMG didn't want to work.

Edit 3:

My 110 point build

Tinypic of all 4 build calculations
Last edited by generaldave on May 2, 2014, 9:03:01 PM
Well, the PoE build planners can be pretty wrong, for example according to the poebuilder.com with my gear I should have 2,700 life and 10,400 armor... while I have 4,200 life and 11,000 armor. But let's assume it's right and your 110 pts does more dps than mine... how do you imagine me to run my skills, auras and use my gear with that very little int (and mana) you planned? I'd have to get int and max mana on nearly all my gear pieces possible. And considering that I also need additional damage, life, resistances (including chaos!) etc it's close to impossible to get suitable gear. Blood Magic isn't even an option with me already running Blood Rage. Also, I'd lose all my block chance (and a huge chunk of armor) and get only 8% increased life in return. According to my math my tree does slightly more dps, according to your math your build is slightly better offensively speaking. But I'd always put defense first and losing a huge portion of tankiness to get 50 more dps in return is not an even worth considering.

And then again, your math (or the builder's math) simply isn't right. It says I have 128% increased physical damage off nodes on my 100 tree and you got 82%. And it's true, but only partially. Because it doesn't take into account that I also have 55% increased melee physical damage that counts for the hit dps. So, my initial hit isn't 322.848, but 400.728.
400.728 + 581.126 off three projectiles (your math, melee physical damage nodes don't have any effect on these) = 981.854. x 1.61 = 1,580.

Another thing you ignored is life leech. Which requires physical damage. So, investing in elemental damage nodes rather than physical makes me lose another part of my survivability.

A short recap:
- I'd deal less dps but my AoE dps would increase;
- I'd get much less tanky and would receive only 8% life in return;
- I'd leech less;
- I wouldn't be able to sustain my skills.
Last edited by Dzwonsson on May 2, 2014, 9:59:21 PM
Yeah, I understand that my build won't work for you and that we have different goals in mind. We've already established this. I was just showing you. As for melee physical, none of my 4 calculations account for melee physical from strength either.
"
generaldave wrote:
Yeah, I understand that my build won't work for you and that we have different goals in mind. We've already established this. I was just showing you. As for melee physical, none of my 4 calculations account for melee physical from strength either.
I know, that's why your dps may be similar or even a bit higher after str % increase (your tree 66.4% while my has 45% or something like that). I'm actually trying to remondel the tree right now. Will come up with results in 10 min max.

edit:
- initial hit: 485.208;
- projectile: 451.486 (after Point Blank and Iron Grip % dmg increase);
- 3 x projectile: 1,354.458;
- 485.208 + 1,354.458 = 1,839.666;
- x 1.31 aps = 2,409.962.

All calculated exactly the same way you did it. Could you double check it for me?

I cut my tankiness and attack speed a bit, but I think this way damage and tankiness are indeed better balanced.

edit: does anyone know a soft where I can calculate my endgame dps (hit + AoE) with my current gear? With my mace's pdmg I got 11,350 dps (important: leveled Molten Strike deals 4 meatballs!), but that without all my dmg bonuses such as Hatred and additional flat/% dmg from gear.
Last edited by Dzwonsson on May 2, 2014, 11:13:32 PM
This is what I get:

Linky - column G

Looks like more burst damage but very little less damage per second. Nothing worth noting on the decrease per second.

Again, doesn't account for melee physical.
Last edited by generaldave on May 2, 2014, 11:20:07 PM
DPS calculations with current gear and lvl 18 gems + 100 pts tree updated in the OP.
Last edited by Dzwonsson on May 3, 2014, 12:23:56 PM
Mountain Ledge solo vid added in the OP.

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info