Damage Types & Resistances

How are these issues handled in PoE? It's imho very fundamental thing in RPGs, but until now we haven't heard much about this topic. So...

1. How many damage types are there in PoE? We already know five types: physical, fire, ice, lightning and I remember Chris has somewhere mentioned the chaos damage. Are there any others?
2. Do the characters have the possibility to gain resistance to any kind of damage? In D2, there were six types of damage and only four types of resistance (although damage reduction was some kind of resistance, it wasn't listed in character stats).
3. Is there a limit for character resistances (75 in Diablo)? In other words, can you become immune to any of dmg types? Or can you even be healed instead of being damaged, when your resistance exceeds 100%?
4. I'm not sure but I think there are no immune monsters in PoE. It means that we can't approach an enemy with 100% resistance, but what's the limit?

I assume that I'm not the only one who wants to know more about these issues, so I hope that the devs and testers will give us more information about it.
Last edited by Mirda on Jul 30, 2011, 5:43:43 AM
they should add more types of damage such as poison and change the physical to piercing,slashing and blugeoning(is that spelled right?) But if they have finished making the damage types then we will just have to leave it like that.

As for resitances, I don't think some monsters should be completely Immune Becuase for example you face a Fire elemental and all you used were fireballs and other skills and equipment that only do fire damage and very little physical damage. It would be a very hard challenge just to kill them where as they have say 75% resitance it will make it a wee bit easier.
ACE Member.
"
Mirda wrote:
How are these issues handled in PoE? It's imho very fundamental thing in RPGs, but until now we haven't heard much about this topic. So...

1. How many damage types are there in PoE? We already know five types: physical, fire, ice, lightning and I remember Chris has somewhere mentioned the chaos damage. Are there any others?
2. Do the characters have the possibility to gain resistance to any kind of damage? In D2, there were six types of damage and only four types of resistance (although damage reduction was some kind of resistance, it wasn't listed in character stats).
3. Is there a limit for character resistances (75 in Diablo)? In other words, can you become immune to any of dmg types? Or can you even be healed instead of being damaged, when your resistance exceeds 100%?
4. I'm not sure but I think there are no immune monsters in PoE. It means that we can't approach an enemy with 100% resistance, but what's the limit?

I assume that I'm not the only one who wants to know more about these issues, so I hope that the devs and testers will give us more information about it.

You have already done good research on this.

1. Those are correct.
2. Yes, you can get resists of any type. Chaos is hard to get resists for. Physical damage reduction is a resistance you get from armour on strength items.
3. Yes, there is a limit (currently 75%). You can raise it.
4. Currently there are no immunities. The highest resistance that any enemy has is 75%. We only added these monster resistances last week!
Lead Developer. Follow us on: Twitter | YouTube | Facebook | Contact Support if you need help!
Thanks for responding, Chris. I guess that all these limits can (and probably will) change, so it's pointless complain about them (but still, the 75% resitance limit for monsters is imho too low). But I don't understand what do you mean by "Physical damage reduction is a resistance you get from armour on strength items". Does it mean that armour (armour means the same as defense in D2, am I right?) on dex/int items doesn't provide you damage reduction? If it's so, what's its purpose then?
Last edited by Mirda on Jul 30, 2011, 6:35:08 AM
It's possible that it's a separate stat from armour.

"armour" could be linear or stat-based decrease to damage (+20 defence or something) and "damage reduction" could be proportional decrease like 5% damage reduction, calculated after normal damage calculation.

So if there was an incoming attack and you had an item that was "+20 defence, +5% damage reduction" and somebody hit you with 120 power, you would take (120-20)*0.95 = 95 damage.

That's similar to how it was done in a game I played called MU online, which was basically an MMO ARPG Korean grindfest. Play and interface was kind of similar to diablo.
Available to mediate cross-league trades and mirror services. Send me a PM here or in-game.
IGN: SpudOfDoom | The Exiled - Path Of Exile's oldest clan
Not a problem - I would reply more but have a lot to do, so I generally just read and only reply if I see an opening where none of the handy Alpha testers have had a chance to reply yet :)

I agree that the resistance cap on monsters is probably too low. We didn't want to set it too high on the first pass, but it can and will change in subsequent updates.

With regard to armour, each attribute gets a different type of damage mitigation property. Armours for hybrid classes get two, obviously.

Strength: Physical damage reduction rating (simplified to "Armour"). This reduces damage, like physical resistance.

Dexterity: Evasion rating. This allows you to avoid a hit entirely.

Intelligence: Energy shield. I'm sure you've read about this elsewhere, but it's a damage buffer that regenerates when you're out of combat.
Lead Developer. Follow us on: Twitter | YouTube | Facebook | Contact Support if you need help!
Interesting. Thanks for the clarification Chris. A DEX/INT hybrid has a nice mix of evasion/shield. Cool!
"So Shines a Good Deed in a Weary World" - Willy Wonker
Forum Sheriff
Thanks for the link, tpapp, I completely forgot that Path of Exile has a wiki. I've spent an hour reading the game mechanics related articles and it has answered many of my questions about PoE. Well, it doesn't contain much information at the moment, but I believe it will expand quickly, especially after releasing the closed beta.
This sounds sooooo Good! Thanks Chris!
I love virtual brutality so save it for the Mobs...

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info