Xbox servers are restarting in:
They should be back up in approximately .

Damage Types & Resistances

"
Mirda wrote:
How are these issues handled in PoE? It's imho very fundamental thing in RPGs, but until now we haven't heard much about this topic. So...

1. How many damage types are there in PoE? We already know five types: physical, fire, ice, lightning and I remember Chris has somewhere mentioned the chaos damage. Are there any others?
2. Do the characters have the possibility to gain resistance to any kind of damage? In D2, there were six types of damage and only four types of resistance (although damage reduction was some kind of resistance, it wasn't listed in character stats).
3. Is there a limit for character resistances (75 in Diablo)? In other words, can you become immune to any of dmg types? Or can you even be healed instead of being damaged, when your resistance exceeds 100%?
4. I'm not sure but I think there are no immune monsters in PoE. It means that we can't approach an enemy with 100% resistance, but what's the limit?

I assume that I'm not the only one who wants to know more about these issues, so I hope that the devs and testers will give us more information about it.

You have already done good research on this.

1. Those are correct.
2. Yes, you can get resists of any type. Chaos is hard to get resists for. Physical damage reduction is a resistance you get from armour on strength items.
3. Yes, there is a limit (currently 75%). You can raise it.
4. Currently there are no immunities. The highest resistance that any enemy has is 75%. We only added these monster resistances last week!
Lead Developer. Follow us on: Twitter | YouTube | Facebook | Contact Support if you need help!
Not a problem - I would reply more but have a lot to do, so I generally just read and only reply if I see an opening where none of the handy Alpha testers have had a chance to reply yet :)

I agree that the resistance cap on monsters is probably too low. We didn't want to set it too high on the first pass, but it can and will change in subsequent updates.

With regard to armour, each attribute gets a different type of damage mitigation property. Armours for hybrid classes get two, obviously.

Strength: Physical damage reduction rating (simplified to "Armour"). This reduces damage, like physical resistance.

Dexterity: Evasion rating. This allows you to avoid a hit entirely.

Intelligence: Energy shield. I'm sure you've read about this elsewhere, but it's a damage buffer that regenerates when you're out of combat.
Lead Developer. Follow us on: Twitter | YouTube | Facebook | Contact Support if you need help!

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info