Stash,chest, currency?

I have to say, i am looking forward to this even little more than to D3 (and i have to say i love D series). But i just found out, that there is no money (gold coins, or whatever you wish) in the game.
I am not sure if i like it, i've read all the positive things about this system, but still i have some doubt.
According to this, will there be some place to store your items outside invetory? I mean some stash, chest, caravan trader or something? Because with no gold, the looting which is one of the key things in hack'n'slash RPGs will suffer a bit.

Lets say, that you will have good equipmnent for the moment, you will have flasks you need etc, and what will you do with all the things you will find from monsters? No need to go to trader, because you dont need useles equipment, because you already have decent one. So your only choice is just to chase other players for hours and try to offer them your things? (or the other choice is throw out your things from invetory, or never pick them up in first place)
thanks for more insight into this.
Last edited by Molda on Jul 28, 2011, 11:22:59 AM
This has been one of the MAJOR things that POE is intended on making unique... there isn't really a large enough population to have a steady currency on the island... they are outcasts they must survive this island is worried about day to day not their economy.
I love virtual brutality so save it for the Mobs...
"Life is a tragedy when seen in close-up, but a comedy in long-shot." - Charlie Chaplin
Well, if you look back to how the currency worked in Diablo 2, you will see that once you hit nightmare, gold doesn't even matter. In fact, it only really matters in act 1- normal(money for tomes). Late game, the only real cost is to revive your merc. In the end, the only real economic item acquiring was done through trading items with other players. Gold is so plentiful, you can max it out in under an hour, which in turn renders it completely valueless.
Last edited by sharkh20 on Jul 28, 2011, 4:07:23 PM
Hi there Molda, i'm in the alpha and like you I was a little worried about there being no gold in the economy. After playing the game for a few weeks I have never missed gold and the currency item system works really well, and will only get better.

The currency items are unique and will have you not wanting to spend them but to use them for upgrading your current items or potential items.

To answer one of your concerns, you will always want more loot. The stash is also huge with even more storage availble for purchase.
RIP Bolto
I like that idea.. its more realistic, because in such a place, where money isn't needed.
I thinks it's cooler when you need rare ingredients to buy Potions.
The thing is that whole "selling all your useless junk for gold" behaviour was only done because generic gold currency was assumed to be useful. In reality, it was not much different to just throwing out your items anyway. With this system there is a much wider focus on having real value to the currency, which also means it will act as its own sink.

In regards to the NPC side of things though, I think there was talk that there may be some kind of NPC who can swap your items for random similar items or for low currency items, like a gambler or something.
Available to mediate cross-league trades and mirror services. Send me a PM here or in-game.
IGN: SpudOfDoom | The Exiled - Path Of Exile's oldest clan
Last edited by SpudOfDoom on Jul 29, 2011, 1:30:39 AM
This reminds me of demon souls. Great game, but no gold involved and you had to find rare resources to spend for upgrades. Now I love gold more than most Jewish folks, but I think gold will not be missed in this system.
A Smith and Wesson beats four aces
well thanks for answers, now it seems much better idea to me, but i will hold my judgement until i have a chance to try it myself and then we'll see.
And maybe i am dumb, but i didn't get the info about the stash being shared with other players. I am little bit unexperienced when it comes to MMOs i played only few of them, i am more of a singleplayer guy, so i think i've never encountered this sort of thing. How does it work? I just can't imagine how can it work, this must be total chaos, everyone grabbing everything, things which even aren't theirs etc.
"
Molda wrote:
well thanks for answers, now it seems much better idea to me, but i will hold my judgement until i have a chance to try it myself and then we'll see.
And maybe i am dumb, but i didn't get the info about the stash being shared with other players. I am little bit unexperienced when it comes to MMOs i played only few of them, i am more of a singleplayer guy, so i think i've never encountered this sort of thing. How does it work? I just can't imagine how can it work, this must be total chaos, everyone grabbing everything, things which even aren't theirs etc.

Its not with other players its only within your own account. If you have multiple chars in the same server/league they'll all be able to access the same stash I believe.
"...You know the difference between arrogance and confidence?

Confidence can back its shit up." -Charan

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info