Requesting Insight: Necromancer

Could someone give me a description of the differences between the classes that can be necromancers.
IGN: Neckroemansir
Witch - Easiest access to all the Minion nodes. Can get a hoard of minions.
Templar - Cannot easily access all the minion nodes. Can get a smaller cluster of minions. But, can potentially abuse Dominating Blow, which scales incredibly well into the end-game, creating ridiculously powerful temporary pets.

Both of those classes can easily get EB (keystone) and run a number of powerful auras to bolster their minions.

Shadow / Ranger / Marauder / Duelist - These guys aren't particularly good at using minions and tend to use them only in a supportive fashion (Rangers might use summon skeletons as a way to create a shield between them and melee monsters). Granted, if you're a dex/str class, you can more easily give your zombies more melee damage or faster attacks, while a witch or templar may not have such luxury.

I do hope in the future minion builds are more stratified, right now they're too heavily centralized on the Witch, the Templar/Shadow need some diverse ways to use minions too.
My Keystone Ideas: http://www.pathofexile.com/forum/view-thread/744282
Last edited by anubite on Jan 31, 2013, 6:38:04 PM
After a quick check on the skill tree, the amount of points required to obtain all direct minion nodes are as follows:

Witch - 49
Templar - 52
Shadow - 53
Marauder - 57
Ranger - 57
Duelist - 58

So witch, templar, and shadow are all practically equally viable candidates. Marauder, ranger, and duelist are fine too, but will take 8-9 more levels than the witch to max their minions.
Any difference between the minions each class has? I watched some videos of the game style play for Witch and Templar, but was wondering what Shadow would be like.

Could you guys say a small gamestyle play explanation, such as Witch, mana, mana shield, fire damage, minion (types). I want to choose class I'll enjoy for going full necro, leveling with a friend.

Also, would you say marauder is best to co-op with?
I would suggest you play the game some more then :) how you make your character is ENTIRELY up to you! BTW, my friend's 2h-axe melee witch build is coming along nicely!

Get some more game experience, find out what gems you enjoy using, what skills in the tree benefit that, and pick the class closest to the most of the nodes. Or the one that you think looks the best. It doesn't make all that much of a difference,

Then you can make a hyper-optimized 100% perfect necro witch with all the uniques build.

classes only influence looks, voicework, and where you start in the passive skill tree + quest rewards, not the skills.

(Pick the Witch if in doubt what summoner is best)
Jizzcharging @Anarchy
ImpendingDoomFire @Hardcore
TwoPiecesOfWood @Standard
Alright, thanks. I thought each class would have a unique talent tree.

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info