Understanding the Death Penalty

Hi,

So I've now completed the game on standard and moved through to Cruel. I have died a couple times on Cruel and checked my character stats and saw I'm -20% chaos resistance and my other resistances are really low.

I read that you lose 20% resistance each death and also 5% of experience points.

To understand this correctly, does this mean if I die 3x on Cruel that I will have -60% resistance? If I die 5x I will have -100% resistance??

How can you get to 75% resistance on Cruel if you die?? Do I need some uber gear that has like +100% to resistances?

I'm sure it's not like this but I'd love to understand how it works... it seems a very harsh death penalty and scares me :)
Last edited by brunowa on Apr 1, 2014, 1:28:23 AM
You have a resistance penalty in cruel and merciless, you only loose exp on death in these :)
I believe the wiki is wrong, that's where you checked right? -20% is how you start in cruel. Deaths don't play a roll it. It's just a flat -20% for cruel.
"
I believe the wiki is wrong, that's where you checked right? -20% is how you start in cruel. Deaths don't play a roll it. It's just a flat -20% for cruel.

http://pathofexile.gamepedia.com/Cruel

Wiki is still correct on this
Ahhh... excellent!

Thank you for clarifying... I mis-read the Wiki... I took it to say it was -20% on death but it's just -20% for the duration of Cruel.

Makes sense :)
Get ready to lose another -40% resistence ehen entering Merciless difficulty, just an heads up :)

Resistance Penalties
There is a penalty to all resistances (including chaos) applied to your character in each successive difficulty you reach.
  • Normal: No penalty
  • Cruel: -20% to all resistances
  • Merciless: -60% to all resistances
No longer a forum dweller, please use PM for contact purposes.
And it's an OMG moment when you check that very first time you get to Merciless. ;-)
Crazy... so I guess that means you need equipment and skills that give you +135 to each resistance when you get to Merciless?? (60 penalty + 75 to max)

"
brunowa wrote:
Crazy... so I guess that means you need equipment and skills that give you +135 to each resistance when you get to Merciless?? (60 penalty + 75 to max)

Yep. But its doable. You fill in with passives, until you get some decent gear.

(also the penalty for dying in Merc is 10% XP)
When night falls
She cloaks the world
In impenetrable darkness
"
brunowa wrote:

Yes it's doable but in case of an emergency you always have auras that can help you such as;

No longer a forum dweller, please use PM for contact purposes.

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info