Help with a new build: Aegis Aurora Reaver

Hi I would like some feed back/constructive criticism about a new build I am trying.

Main points:
Aegis Aurora : My survival will revolve around this baby.
Reave : My main (and probably only?) offensive skill.

I am thinking about using Carcass Jack since it works amazingly well with Reave.

I am debating whether to get CI or not... With it, it would greatly simplify my build: just stack ES all the way. But would it be better to NOT run CI and have just a sizable amount of ES that works as a "buffer" that recharges itself every time I block? I would need to finely balance between life and es (I guess 7:3 or 6:4) and possibly use anvil to boost block chance and recharge life and mana as well? Using anvil would reduce mean I can save points on any mana nodes.

So.. thoughts?
Last edited by eyoo1109 on Mar 31, 2014, 12:14:48 AM
There is a dual wield knockback reave build already that uses ci/carcass, but seems to cheat the nodes a lot on pure ES but anyway, check that one and see if you can't apply it to 1-h with or with knockback/frostwall. Its fun to level up reave. I think you might be mixing up EB and ES, CI doesn't effect ES, just Life(1) and gives chaos immunity.
Last edited by raziekeljr on Mar 31, 2014, 12:25:39 AM
Not what I'm asking about... i did mean CI. What I was asking was, should my "hit pool" be pure ES? or mainly life and some ES? Since aegis aurora will recharge my ES while im fightning even if the majority of my hit pool is life, hence the "buffer" i was talking about.
Last edited by eyoo1109 on Mar 31, 2014, 7:20:17 AM
"
eyoo1109 wrote:
Not what I'm asking about... i did mean CI. What I was asking was, should my "hit pool" be pure ES? or mainly life and some ES? Since aegis aurora will recharge my ES while im fightning even if the majority of my hit pool is life, hence the "buffer" i was talking about.

If you take the CI keystone your lifepool becomes 1 regardless of how high it was before
taking the keystone so your "lifepool" is 1 hp + xxxx es.

If you want a mixed lifepool hp+es don't take the CI keystone.
"
Sundrino wrote:
"
eyoo1109 wrote:

If you take the CI keystone your lifepool becomes 1 regardless of how high it was before
taking the keystone so your "lifepool" is 1 hp + xxxx es.

If you want a mixed lifepool hp+es don't take the CI keystone.

I'm familiar with what CI does... Read the original post.. I'm asking whether it would be better to take CI and rely ONLY on ES as my hitpool OR not take CI and have a mixed pool of life and es.
CI
pros:
less passive points spent on survivability
big es pool
chaos immune
more available passives for block/damage

cons:
when using anvil you will get stunned a lot (unless picking the unwavering stance keystone)

life/es hybrid:
pros:
no problems with stun

cons:
needs more passive points spent on survivability
when facing chaos damage small lifepool compared to ci

you use aegis aurora so you need huge armour & block for it to be effective
which can be difficult to fit in a build which needs many hp nodes plus es nodes
and can achieve passable damage.
with a CI build you could go elemental reave with some aura reserve passives and
run wrath/anger/grace with alphas howl which gives you freeze immunity too, whereas
with a hybrid build that would be rather difficult to achieve.
So you have to weigh the pros and cons with what you want to do with your char but if you
have nice es gear & alphas howl i would go fast weapon elemental reave CI.
Last edited by Sundrino on Mar 31, 2014, 11:59:49 AM
"
Sundrino wrote:
CI
pros:
less passive points spent on survivability
big es pool
chaos immune
more available passives for block/damage

cons:
when using anvil you will get stunned a lot (unless picking the unwavering stance keystone)

life/es hybrid:
pros:
no problems with stun

cons:
needs more passive points spent on survivability
when facing chaos damage small lifepool compared to ci

you use aegis aurora so you need huge armour & block for it to be effective
which can be difficult to fit in a build which needs many hp nodes plus es nodes
and can achieve passable damage.
with a CI build you could go elemental reave with some aura reserve passives and
run wrath/anger/grace with alphas howl which gives you freeze immunity too, whereas
with a hybrid build that would be rather difficult to achieve.
So you have to weigh the pros and cons with what you want to do with your char but if you
have nice es gear & alphas howl i would go fast weapon elemental reave CI.

Thank you, that was the first post on the thread that was actually helpful... (no sarcasm)

This is the skill tree I have so far for the Life/ES hybrid. I have enough to buy a 5L Carcass Jack and a 300+ pdps claw (Ambush). I have a Rainbowstride that I would probably use, and swap between a high ES Ammy and Lazhwar situationally. On all other parts, I would try to stack as much Life/ES/Eva/Res(including Chaos res) as I can. For auras, I would be running Grace and Discipline. On the 5L setup, I would run something like Reave, Multistrike, Melee PDmg, Faster Atks, and Conc Effect. Any thoughts/constructive criticism?

Again, thanks a lot for the help =)

Edit: The skill tree is up to high 70's. I'm shooting for around 3k - 3.5k HP and 1.5k - 2k ES. After this point, I would probably shoot for berserking, Repartee, Fencing, Deflection, or more life, depending on what I need when the time comes.
Last edited by eyoo1109 on Mar 31, 2014, 1:23:09 PM
I played Aegis Aurora in Nemesis (eventually died to my own stupidity at level 94/rank 30ish). I was Life based with a small amount of ES that would rapidly recharge, and just wanted to let u know you dont need that much ES at all. If you go this route, your ratio should be more in favor of Life imo.

I was running ~5-6k Life with only ~1k ES. 1k ES rapidly recharging with Aegis was enough to handle basically anything, any more was not really necessary. I wanted a huge chunk of life as a safety net for massive hits that weren't blocked, large chunks of Chaos Damage, etc. Having a lot of life as your "safety net" instead of ES is better because it's easier to scale if your playing a life based build (this point is really important, you don't need to dedicate points to life AND ES nodes and can focus solely on Life nodes which is huge, the ES from Aegis/Rainbow/a few other pieces of gear is enough) and you can of course use Seething Hallowed's to top yourself back up immediately if you do take a big hit, and get a bit more use of Life Regen. I felt really comfortable with high life and just a small chunk of ES personally.

Maybe this is helpful if you do go the life based route, best of luck either way.
Last edited by delvur on Mar 31, 2014, 2:24:16 PM
"
I played Aegis Aurora in Nemesis (eventually died to my own stupidity at level 94/rank 30ish). I was Life based with a small amount of ES that would rapidly recharge, and just wanted to let u know you dont need that much ES at all. If you go this route, your ratio should be more in favor of Life imo.

I was running ~5-6k Life with only ~1k ES. 1k ES rapidly recharging with Aegis was enough to handle basically anything, any more was not really necessary. I wanted a huge chunk of life as a safety net for massive hits that weren't blocked, large chunks of Chaos Damage, etc. Having a lot of life as your "safety net" instead of ES is better because it's easier to scale if your playing a life based build (this point is really important, you don't need to dedicate points to life AND ES nodes and can focus solely on Life nodes which is huge, the ES from Aegis/Rainbow/a few other pieces of gear is enough) and you can of course use Seething Hallowed's to top yourself back up immediately if you do take a big hit, and get a bit more use of Life Regen. I felt really comfortable with high life and just a small chunk of ES personally.

Maybe this is helpful if you do go the life based route, best of luck either way.

Thank you so much for your insight. Your old build seems very similar to what I want to do. Would you mind sharing a bit more detail about the build? Also, would it still be viable even after the nerf to Aegis?
"
eyoo1109 wrote:

The skill tree is up to high 70's. I'm shooting for around 3k - 3.5k HP and 1.5k - 2k ES. After this point, I would probably shoot for berserking, Repartee, Fencing, Deflection, or more life, depending on what I need when the time comes.

Your skilltree looks good and you definitely should go for berserking in the near future.
Also the influence cluster is really good 26% aura buff for 4 points which helps you with
grace/discipline.

With the nerfed aegis you get 2% of your armour as es that would be 200-300 es
every block with 10k-15k armour which you should get with that build.
Higher block chance would definitely help you (you have only +16% block from the tree atm)
and you already think about getting deflection which would help. Also you have direct access
to many 2% block nodes with your tree. Higher block will also give you higher spellblock
which is very good for survivability.

Another option is dumping the 5 point Vaal Pact and put those points in block but it´s better
to test your build when you're at that point and see for yourself which route is more
beneficial to your playstyle. You plan on going physical reave with good armour so reflect
should be ok and you should use cwdt enduring cry (or selfcast enduring cry on top of that
but that would reset your reave stack )
Last edited by Sundrino on Mar 31, 2014, 3:22:05 PM

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info