Gem Sockets - Not Enough?

Hi all,

Does anyone think that there aren't enough gem sockets in Path Of Exile (and ideally a few more key slots would be nice).

The whole point of the game is to be able to play a diverse character, applying different tactics.

At the moment, to get the most out of gem sockets, basically, for every item piece, you need to really pump as much support into one skill as possible.

This might have been enough when PoE started, but now, with the diverse amount of skills and support gems, I think that having additional slots on the belt (2) and each ring (1) would be nice so you can store away those single or double gem requirements (e.g. curses / curses with increased duration) and leave the rest for pumping up other skills.

Kalten~!!!
There's already a ring with a socket: Unset Ring.

The belt and amulet still could use it eventually.
Is that unset ring even dropable ?
Personally, I like the limitation. I'm constantly switching things around to lvl gems that I'm sure I'll have a use for at some point.

Yes, I try to have as many slots as possible at all times. but as a bow ranger with no shield slots, I have less than many.
"
chromafunk wrote:

yes it is, you can also find it in vendors
Inundated with cockroaches, I am

https://www.pathofexile.com/forum/view-thread/1609216 - labyrinth rework ideas/suggestions
"
"
chromafunk wrote:

Not in standard.
Such a fundamental item should not be league only.

That said, totally agree with OP.
As a summoner, it is literally impossible to play one now without snap shot.

- Skeletons
- Zombies
- Specters
- Bone/Flesh offering
- Curses
- Auras
- Vaal Skeletons/Raging Spirits
- Totem
- Smoke mine

Yeah, tell me where I'm supposed to fit this all in normally. The only thing I have any supports on are minions, and that's WITH snap shot even.

There are nowhere near enough sockets, nor hotbar slots.
"
LordKalten wrote:
Hi all,

Does anyone think that there aren't enough gem sockets in Path Of Exile (and ideally a few more key slots would be nice).

The whole point of the game is to be able to play a diverse character, applying different tactics.

At the moment, to get the most out of gem sockets, basically, for every item piece, you need to really pump as much support into one skill as possible.

This might have been enough when PoE started, but now, with the diverse amount of skills and support gems, I think that having additional slots on the belt (2) and each ring (1) would be nice so you can store away those single or double gem requirements (e.g. curses / curses with increased duration) and leave the rest for pumping up other skills.

Kalten~!!!

I'll take this part by part.

"

Yes, and this means you must use those resources as best you can. This means you must weigh whether you use fewer active skill gems with more support gems, or fewer support gems and more active skill gems.

"

Not true. Arctic Armor cannot be efficiently supported. Curses also cannot be efficiently supported, as it is better to link another curse to offer an additional option than a Faster Casting gem.

"
gr00grams wrote:
"
"
chromafunk wrote:

Not in standard.
Such a fundamental item should not be league only.

That said, totally agree with OP.

- Skeletons
- Zombies
- Specters
- Bone/Flesh offering
- Curses
- Auras
- Totem
- Smoke mine

Yeah, tell me where I'm supposed to fit this all in normally. The only thing I have any supports on are minions, and that's WITH snap shot even.

There are nowhere near enough sockets, nor hotbar slots.

Unset rings are not fundamental. I'd like to hear how you came to that conclusion.

Chest: Zombies

Helmet: Skeletons

Boots: Spectres

Gloves: Auras

Shield and weapon: Utility and curses

Two Handed: Skeletons or Spectres, allowing your Boots to hold utility and curses.

I don't see how you have a problem. Not every character can or should do everything.
I don't agree with a certain summoner that they think should be able to do everything but I still think we could do with either ~2 sockets on belts by default to put skills such as: Curses, utility totems, utility skills like Lightning Warp or even just a 2L CwDT setup etc, or just give us 1 or 2 extra equipment slots purely for sockets.
"so you can see who has more PvPenis" - Chris Wilson
"Everyone can at least be exposed to Leo's PvPenis" - Chris Wilson
Last edited by Kenzorz on Mar 30, 2014, 6:43:51 PM
"
gr00grams wrote:

- Skeletons
- Zombies
- Specters
- Bone/Flesh offering
- Curses
- Auras
- Totem
- Smoke mine

And Animate Guardian
And Animate Weapon
And also a culling 4L, and a CWDT-portal...

Playing summoner doesn't mean you have to use every single minion gem in the game. Making choices between useful utility skills is part of the fun. I don't even snapshot anymore unless I'm planning on an extended session. Too tedious to juggle gear and gems every time you relog/disconnect.

That said, Summoners are the only build that needs to sacrifice slots for a skill that as its main function combats dumb minion AI.
Shop closed until further notice. Check out my Dominus musical tribute instead:
https://soundcloud.com/hackproducer0815/dominus
"
mackdaddieab wrote:
Personally, I like the limitation. I'm constantly switching things around to lvl gems that I'm sure I'll have a use for at some point.

Yes, I try to have as many slots as possible at all times. but as a bow ranger with no shield slots, I have less than many.

You have it good. 3 links in weapon and 3 in shield, would prefer 6 linked bow any day :P

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info