Death penalties !!!!

"
Barroo wrote:
"
silentman wrote:
"
Zmrdobijec wrote:
If u want death penalty. I will agree with only one thing. If u die than your character will receive EXHAUST aura for a period time (10min) when u lose some status from your character.

Example :

- 20% maximum life and mana
or
- 20% maximum dmg and energy shild
or
-20% elemental resistance

or whatever u want for a short period of duration

This sound reasonable.
Though i don't die much unless i lag like crazy all of sudden but this where it becomes annoying because i know that died not because i was careless i died because of my ISP.

Although this does sound more reasonable couldn't you just go AFK for the duration of the aura?

Actually the Aura will expire only in instance so you will need to go out and kill some things.
You may add the option to heal the aura with say transmutation orbs or something that is common but still annoys you and makes you pay more attention.

"
zriL wrote:

Yea it would be there only to prevent you from playing the game and to waste your time. Any penalty that weakens your character for a duration or force you to do something in order to respawn is a bad idea in my opinion.

The thing that really waste your time is having a 3 hours worth of exp at higher level taken from you because of a lag or a sudden drop in FPS.
At least with this Aura it will make you weaker and force you to take things slower.

Want ask my opinion?
Get rid of all these things together they are not fun in fact they cause frustration in the long run.
But that's just me.
FFA loot = Single Player Game
I think exp penalty is vital to this kind of game since one of the major reasons to race (for many) is the ladder.

Without a setback in the ladder when you die it suddenly get must less interesting.

I only play hardcore but when I played softcore in Diablo II the experience penalty made me play much better.

This game is all about improving your character and you need reasons todo so.
The death penalty is a little way overboard, losing over 3 bars worth of exp is plain bull****
"
bigbadbobned wrote:
I used to play a game where, when you died, you had the chance to 'revive' and permanently loose a small amount your hard earned stats, or 'warp to town' in which case you lost all your current equipped items and bag. A very tough decision. Dying in that game was a real-tears event.

exactly, in a game like this, death must have been a HUGE part of the games system. if you make death penalties harsher then they are, then it would completely change the game. like other people said, if you want deaths to be a huge part of the game then the only way GGG could even make it possible is with what they did, and all arpgs do, hardcore.
While I agree that exp penalties alone dont quite have the same impact as having to make your way back to your corpse in D2, I also dont exactly feel like forcing players to trek through a dungeon naked is particularly reasonable.
IGN: Iolar
I don't know for you guys, but I am always pissed when I died and lose my 3 exp bars.
Alice_of_Wraeclast - Dagger CI Witch
Alice_MadnessReturns - Molten Strike AoF witch
Flavour Build concept taken from Alice: Madness Returns
At higher levels, a single death costs you hours worth of xp. If you think it isn't punishment enough, I'd question whether you've tried it yet.
Lol

Hours of exp.

Try dying at lvl 81. Lose a little more than a couple hours.

And I'm for actually increasing the death penalty after sync issues are more resolved.

EDIT. Cause if you die to a non sync issue, it was your own fault. Feeling the sting of your character DYING should be painful.
Last edited by SL4Y3R on Nov 10, 2012, 12:42:33 AM
Perhaps make it a choice, allow people to enable a 'high death penalty' checkbox when they create the char? And then maybe add a symbol next to their name to show they play with that option enabled.

Its just that some prefer casual fun over challenge, and others the other way around.. Surely we can have both?
"
SL4Y3R wrote:
Lol

Hours of exp.

Try dying at lvl 81. Lose a little more than a couple hours.

According to your xp graph, yeah, it would be hours, I never said anything about a couple.

But yeah I agree with the rest, if it's your fault you died, you should be punished, but if the code isn't smart enough to detect desync deaths and discount/prevent them, then increasing the penalties is just too much.
Last edited by MonstaMunch on Nov 10, 2012, 7:01:16 AM

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info