Death penalties !!!!

Please Please do not make dying just a slap on the wrist. Games have gotten soooooo kindergarten mentality with dying. Dying should be REALLY BAD and you should actually be scared or pissed off if it happens.

So many games these days just seem lose their luster because dying really doesn't mean anything.

I Know there is a hardcore mode, which is the extreme and I will play on there sometimes but dying should be scary and cost you something serious.
I dont think there was anything wrong with the death system in say, Diablo 2. Where you drop all your equipment, its a pain in the ass.

Dying should really be a thing you really is scared of, but NOT so much to actually piss off the player as you say.

The worst thing for a game, especially a free to play game, is if the player is pissed off to the point of just shutting down the game.

Its a fine line but it cant be crossed too far. Better that it is too little than too much.
There's an entire topic devoted to discussion of this.

http://www.pathofexile.com/forum/view-thread/169

I think for a normal "softcore" mode it's best to just have exp penalties. Item penalties for non-PVP deaths just make people angry for no reason, and stats penalties just make people quit or AFK.

Hardcore and cutthroat modes exist for harsher penalties.
Available to mediate cross-league trades and mirror services. Send me a PM here or in-game.
IGN: SpudOfDoom | The Exiled - Path Of Exile's oldest clan
If u like P.,so logoff if u die (1 Day or more),and Voilaa..u have ur pesonal P. :D

But dont say WE need this.

Last edited by groundhouse on Jul 20, 2011, 10:32:21 AM
"
Baleur wrote:
I dont think there was anything wrong with the death system in say, Diablo 2. Where you drop all your equipment, its a pain in the ass.

Yeah, but it stayed on your corpse... I don't want all the equipment drop on the ground and have other players pick it up. Not even a single piece of armor!
"Life is a tragedy when seen in close-up, but a comedy in long-shot." - Charlie Chaplin
I used to play a game where, when you died, you had the chance to 'revive' and permanently loose a small amount your hard earned stats, or 'warp to town' in which case you lost all your current equipped items and bag. A very tough decision. Dying in that game was a real-tears event.
By failing to prepare, you prepare to fail.
I like the way d2 was. Dropping items and loosing xp is a good penalty. Maybe make it even a little more strict. I agree with original poster that games have made "dying" to easy. People should squirm at the idea of their character dying.
The bigger the rewards the bigger the risk.
Hardcore has bigger rewareds(?) so they could have a larger death penalty.
"
bigbadbobned wrote:
I used to play a game where, when you died, you had the chance to 'revive' and permanently loose a small amount your hard earned stats, or 'warp to town' in which case you lost all your current equipped items and bag. A very tough decision. Dying in that game was a real-tears event.

It's was an MMORPG, right? I can't recall the name, but I think I played something similar or the same game. It was an Asian MMORPG.

Btw, I don't think hardcore get any bigger rewards. From what GGG has told us so far is that leagues have same item drops, the point of other leagues is to make the gameplay harder.
"Life is a tragedy when seen in close-up, but a comedy in long-shot." - Charlie Chaplin
Last edited by bkboggy on Jul 20, 2011, 7:01:27 PM
"
bkboggy wrote:
Btw, I don't think hardcore get any bigger rewards.

Hardcore has the reward of greater prestige on the ladders. People that play hardcore also say that the threat of permanent death makes the game a lot more fun.
Forum Sheriff

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info