Gem power from finding vs leveling?

Below is c/p from the IRC channel irc.freenode.net #pathofexile

<@Chemdude8> Seen you posting a bit, happen to know if say two gems of the same "type" with one starting at level 1 and another being "found" at level 2 if you get the exp to level the "1" gem to "2" would it be more powerful? or...
<@Chemdude8> assuming you can find gems of types that are not the base level...
<SpudOfDoom> I dont think it would be different
<SpudOfDoom> If they have the same effect
<@Chemdude8> Part of me wants it and part of me doesn't.. I could simply see myself grinding to upgrade all the gems from '1' instead of going to the equivilant of act 5 and picking one up for the slight bonus that "experienced" gems have.

So this is half a shameless bump for the IRC...

So if you know the answer I would love to see it here, and I'll be thrilled if you came to the IRC and bestowed your presence upon us...
All for minions "modes" so they can follow, stand, or patrol.
Hello again. Like I said in chat I don't imagine there would be any reason to have "trained" high gems stronger than "found" gems. It would make the high ones a useless drop which seems to go against the idea of loot.
Available to mediate cross-league trades and mirror services. Send me a PM here or in-game.
IGN: SpudOfDoom | The Exiled - Path Of Exile's oldest clan
The gem system is constantly evolving. Currently all gems begin at level 1. There are some gems that are better than others and therefore you can only find them at higher levels. The devs have also been experimenting with giving gems a quality rating (similar to equipment) which is a great bonus you can find on gems when you're higher level.
Forum Sheriff
Hmm, I do like the quality rating thing for gems. It'd be nice to have 2 same skill gems... one is normal, one is rare. The rare one would have an increased accuracy or reduction of enemy's resistance to certain element. Just an example.
"Life is a tragedy when seen in close-up, but a comedy in long-shot." - Charlie Chaplin

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info