Does anybody want to play a Pathfinder PBP?

I have a PBP on another board, and thought perhaps somebody here might fancy playing a bit to fill the time. Hopefully it's cool to post it here, there are no explicit rules and I suppose it could be considered site whoring.

For those not in the know:

How to Play by Post
Want to play D&D but can't find a group? Want to try out a new RPG system before selling your friends on it? Are you an angry recluse who likes GURPS but has no friends? If any of these sound like you, play-by-post might be just what the doctor ordered.

How does play-by-post work?
In a normal tabletop game amongst friends, one person is the Game Master and he lays out an adventure for the players. Players state their actions in response to the GM and roll dice to determine success. Sometimes, the GM will roll behind a screen for things that happen that the players are not aware of, and announce the results.

In a pbp game, you use an online dice roller (or just let the GM do it) for players and for behind-the-scenes stuff. The players post their actions and the GM determines success or failure and posts the results. The net result is a game that takes much longer to complete but is much richer in description and often features a more complicated story.

And now to the actual ad:

Come and visit sunny Pala!
Tropical seas, lush vegetation and colourful natives. Spend a morning admiring the hexagonal pillars dating back to pre-history as they rise from the misty chasm. Hop between the famous floating stones to admire the inscriptions from another era, but don't dwell too long: Those red-veined obelisks channel uknown horrors that will steal your body and use it for their own alien purposes!

I've lost a player in my Pathfinder game (not from my poor DMing either apparently, but because he's just not at home with PBPs), and I'm quite eager to get somebody new in. I'm looking for a player with an interesting character concept. One who will actively pursue the plot threads I dangle.

Here is my original blurb for the game:
"
The poster campaign itself was strangely low key. Word of the mysterious island was spreading despite the lack of an official statement from Queen Alexandra, nor was reference to it found in The Dalmasca Chronicle, the sole newspaper of the country, outside of that one first tiny article. A single paragraph referring to the whaling ship who had come across an unexpected landmass while somewhere out at see. They had been far from land, two weeks away, so they claimed, but not far enough for an island to exist which nobody had spotted before. True, it did not lie upon one of the usual trade routes or in any popular fishing waters, but it was not some remote corner of the world.

Such an island must have been new. Word was that the Royal Dalmascan Navy were keeping watch of the seas now, turning back curious ships while, of course, the Royal Expeditionary Force had been despatched. That was perhaps six months ago, there had been not a single word. And now, Lord Lumas, a wealthy merchant, was recruiting brave men and women to explore this previously unknown land with no reference to Queen Alexandra's men.

The ship sails tomorrow at dawn. Interested parties are asked to assemble at the docks with no more than a single chest and a desire to return famous and rich.

The game has continued for two chapters. First the players found the remnants of the first REF team, now twisted into bizarre monsters while they took some astrological measurements. They spotted strangely organised goblins performing some kind of ritual on the way back to camp, and the next morning the camp was attacked by a vast horde of greenskins. Although they survived, they had several of their own men taken prisoner and so the party chased them into the jungle. They didn't find the goblins, but they did find the prisoners. Upon closer inspection, however, the prisoners were no longer themselves, having become twisted in the same manner as the REF team. Killing their former allies, the party retreated back to the camp.

That is a very brief summary, the whole story is the forum.
Last edited by BigRedRod on Sep 19, 2011, 9:38:46 AM
[Looks like posts have a character limit here. So, post continued here]

Mechanics stuff

-Level 5
-Rolling your stats in God's own 4d6 drop lowest method or you can forsake Lady Luck and instead just do a point buy with the standard 15
-Advanced PHB classes are in
-Favoured Class bonus variations from the same place are available
-Alternate Racial Traits, again from the Advanced PHB, are possibilities, but I want you to justify taking them in terms of the setting and how that race exists
-I'll be ignoring alignment for the obvious reasons
-I'm going to be a bit experimental and not bother tracking XP, instead at certain points I'll clip a note in the IC telling you guys to go and level.
-Current party is a human illusionist, dwarvern alchemist, a human fighter and a half-elven ranger/rogue (who will be shortly having a nasty accident). I'm not going to say that "I need class X,Y or Z", I want interesting concepts more than anything

Hands up who wants in? And by hands I mean drop me a concept in this thread and we'll have a think.

The concept is really key here. I don't just want race/class combo, I want to know about the actual character rather than the mechanics.

I had a bad experience with another player ignoring the game theme and wanting to play all sorts of weird things without justification. So, please try to focus on a character that meshes with the vague feel of pulp/colonial exploration and mystery.
Last edited by BigRedRod on Sep 19, 2011, 9:41:41 AM
Define "Colonial Pulp"

Old school OJ! (joke)

"Pulp Fiction" in the 1700's? (kind of a joke... but stranger things kinda happen occasionally [Dark Sun!] amazing by the way)

People wearing really crappy clothes judging others and going on witch hunts? (Serious?)

seriously please define
"Colonial Pulp"
I love virtual brutality so save it for the Mobs...
Last edited by cybrim on Mar 3, 2012, 7:46:42 PM
I realize this is old but that sounds like a ton of fun. I would be up for it.
Theres actually a really good place to do online Tabletop RPG gaming called ROLL20. It's really damn good as it creates a virtual board for you to use. I had a lot of fun DMing for a group of old HS friends that I was rarely able to see normally, even though eventually work and life interfered. Of course it functions like a normal gaming session where you all need to conglomerate.

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info