[Contest] Best concept for a skill idea for Path of Exile gets a key! [Closed]

Skill name: Mind Shatter
Target: Enemies
Description: Cast time 3 seconds, drives an enemy insane causing him to explode after 5 seconds. Best used against a large group. Causes massive splash damage.
Visuals: The caster screams at the selected enemy causing it to go crazy, running around and eventually exploding doing damage to nearby enemies
Sounds: A loud, banshee scream, followed by the enemies pleading for help
Flavour text: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BFqHyCoypfM

The sound of the enemy affected by Mind Shatter
Last edited by MassiveRH on Sep 19, 2011, 12:50:19 AM
Skill name: Unholy Gates

Target: Summon

Description:

Creates a gateway to hell. Out of the portal comes various demons and fiends to attack your enemies. When the gateway closes all of the monsters created get drawn back in.

The amount of monsters, the delay between the release of each monster from the gateway, the length it takes for the gateway to be created and the duration of the gateways lifespan will increase with each level.

Visuals:

Along with a fiery casting animation from the player, a gateway would erupt from the ground. I pictured the gateway similar to this:

When the gateway subsides, all monsters that spawned will be sucked back into the portal with a windy animation, like air being opened up into a vacuum,

Sounds:

While the portal is coming out of the ground a rumbling noise will occur, and while it is active you will hear the devilish screams of the monsters of hell. As the portal subsides you will hear the gusts of wind drawing the monsters back in.

Flavour text:

Two options, couldn't decide between funny or serious, so I put both!

When all the world dissolves,
And every creature shall be purified,
All places shall be hell that are not heaven.

or

Lois Griffin: Stewie why don't you play in the other room?
Stewie Griffin: Why don't you burn in hell?

Pros:

- The spell is awesome
- Easily clear out areas with lots of monsters
- Helps to prevent you getting swamped
- Did I mention that it's awesome?

Cons:

- The cast time isn't super fast, will take a few seconds.
- Once you have cleared the area you are fighting in it ceases to be of use, as the gateway can't move and the monsters have to stay within a certain vicinity of the gateway
- Not too effective against a small amount of high level monsters
Kiwi through and through.
Last edited by Spyker on Sep 19, 2011, 6:47:32 AM
This assumes that the final class is a Bard (which fits perfectly, by the way) Being the final class, I'm assuming the Bard would be female, so descriptions use "her" as a term. Have not played the game so I do not know if there are status effects, but I assume there are and I make one up :)

Skill name: Twilight Aria

Target: Group/Party/Allies (AoE Buff to Allies nearby)

Description: "Support buff. The Bard sings a high and light aria that instills a warm an incandescent feeling to her allies."

*Allows for an increased light radius/slight increase to resistance to "Darkness" status effect (or something similar). This allows for previously treacherous terrain to become a little more manageable. Possibly even be a sought after skill in some really dark places. Battlefield awareness is key, after all.*

Visuals: Bard spreads her arms and opens her mouth as a glowing musical score swirls around her and shoots off notes to various allies in the vicinity, finally being absorbed into each player. Once absorbed each player with the buff is granted a slight glow (which is the suspected cause of the increased light radius).

Each note, and her general aura during has a light white glow.

Sounds: Bard sings a light and high tune. The tune is fairly short and has no discernible words. It goes like this:

Rating each sound on a scale of 1-5, 1 being highest note, and 5 being lowest)

Ahhhhhh (1), Oooooo (2), Oooooo (3), Oooooo (4), Oooooo (3), Oooooo (5)

NOTES:
The Buff applies when the last note is finished, and the Bard cannot move during the casting this particular ability.

As the level of the skill increases, the radius that party members have to be inside grows, the duration lasts longer, and the resistance increases. The light radius boost itself doesn't get an increase.

I wish I had a picture of some-sort, but I do not. If you want more description, just ask. I love Bards and I love making things up :D
I try to be as respectful as I can to you, whether I agree with your opinions or not. I only ask that you grant me the same courtesy.
Last edited by Taric on Sep 19, 2011, 12:54:28 AM
Skill name: Evocation of Nature
Target: Single Enemy
Description:
Upon reaching 20% health, this ability becomes usable. Should the Witch activate it, a horde of small woodland creatures come to the aid of the Witch and attack the nearest target. These creatures overwhelm the target and prevent it from making any attacks for a set period of time. (Just think a horde of squirrels and bunnies overwhelming a demon)
Visuals: The ground becomes covered in vines, grass, and flowers. Hordes of small woodland animals pour in from off screen. When the player activates their ability their avatar puts their hand up in the air and releases a butterfly, the butterfly flies off screen and then come said animals.
Sounds: The Witch can be heard whispering to the butterfly. Once the animals appear on screen there is incessant squirrel chattering and small squeeks.
Flavour text: When in the darkest hour of need, Nature herself will come to the Witch's aid

Was unable to find a picture that would sum this up well.

Credit to my girlfriend who thought of most of this.
*I don't know what kind of units PoE uses to measure distance in game so I just assume spell cast distances are measured in pixels*

*The main feature of this spell is the use of Dual Vector targeting and is designed to be a utility skill*

Skill name: Remote Push

Target: Dual Vector (Target Position, Direction)
(Basicly you click a position on the ground then drag in the direction you want the spell to travel from the origin point. This allows you to use it to move enemies towards you or away from you, or any direction you want).

Description: Erupts a wave of pure force from the target location that travels in the target direction for 500 pixels in a line with a 300 pixel width.
This spell deals no damage but pushes all enemies caught up to 500 pixels away from the origin point and applies a tapering slow to all affected units slowing their movement speed by (80%) decreasing to 0% over 4 seconds.
(Can be enhanced with support gems to increase size and distance of the wave and add damage.)
(Numbers in brackets will change depending on the level of the skill. This represents the maximum level of this skill).

Visuals: An opaque blue coloured wave that travels very quickly.

Sounds: Think, force push.

No picture, sorry
Proud Kiwi Game Developer
Skill name: Acerbic Taunt

Target: Any enemy

Description: When cast causes enemy to charge in a straight line towards the caster at increased speed. If the enemy collides with any object (other enemies or terrain), they get stunned and take damage. Additionally, the collision causes any enemies within a small AoE to attack the target.

However, if the enemy collides with the caster, the caster gets stunned and takes damage. Also, the target will slightly overshoot the caster, allowing you to sidestep their charge to hit enemies behind you.

Visuals: The caster raises their hands in a taunting gesture, and puts their head back and laughs.

Sounds: Could have a variety of short spoken taunts (would be a lot of VA for one skill though), or just a mocking laugh.

Flavour Text: "That's one disgusting mask you're wearing... Oh wait, that's just your face."

No picture o_o
Last edited by ORBDiggs on Sep 19, 2011, 1:18:35 AM
Skill name: Asphyxiate

Target: Enemy

Description: Casting upon an enemy causes them to immediately slow down and take damage over time, very little at first, slowly building to devastating damage per second.

Visuals: Both character's hands go up in a choking position, airy wisps appear to quickly leave the torso and head region of the target.

Sounds: There is a loud rushing sound like air escaping into space, quickly becoming silence. All game sound is muffled very briefly to enhance the effect (think the airless sections of Dead Space).

Flavour text: Your lack of faith disturbs me.
Skill name: Exile or Path of Exile

Target: Ofensive, aka finish skill, enemy/enemys.
Description: When cast deal xx-xx damage in the enemys stand on the ground, if the enemy has less than x% of hp he die and you recover x hp or mana per enemy killed by this spell.

Visuals: Something like a big portal in the ground, with hands pear under the target, if he has the less hp requeriment, the moster dissapear in the portal.

Sounds: A think like warp flash sound, flushhhhhhhhhhhh, and then mass screams from ppl in suffering, not so loud.

Flavour text: The true exile is death. !
Last edited by Anselmu on Sep 19, 2011, 1:15:45 AM
Skill name: Merge Minions

Target: (Summon)

Description: Targetted minion will merge with x amount of minions of the same kind, creating a super-minion, stats scaling with the amount of minions consumed.

A superminion will have an exclusive skill depending on the minions used.

Visuals:
Player character kills the minions and from the bodies, comes the superminion.

Spawning uberminion:
Megazombie:
http://i1114.photobucket.com/albums/k540/hydris2/poecontestconceptsuperzombiecopy.jpg (thought image would be too large for fourms)

Sounds: (Depends on the Minion used, follows the death sounds of the minions and then a voice clip from the superminion). Shared lines with different voices and effects.

i.e Zombies ----> Death Sound ----> "By your will"
Last edited by hydris on Sep 19, 2011, 5:30:17 AM
"
hydris wrote:
i.e Zombies ----> Death Sound ----> "By your will"

I'm sorry, but I'm totally getting "By your powers combined!" in Captain Planet's voice.

I like the idea for the skill itself, though :)
I try to be as respectful as I can to you, whether I agree with your opinions or not. I only ask that you grant me the same courtesy.

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info