[1.3.x] Dual Flame Totems: Solo, Self-Found, Beginner-friendly. AA+EB!

Hey Mivo, I just wanna say that I'm really enjoying this build so far (around level 50).

I noticed that 1.3 changed the templar area a lot though, how does that affect the build? Is it better? Is it worse? I've noticed that they buffed templar area a lot so I guess those buffs benefit this build too?

Are you going to update this guide for 1.3? I really hope you'll do that.

Thanks for awesome guide.
Hey, Im not Mivo, but I changed his tree to the 1.3 update coz I also wanted to do a flametotem build and I thought im just gonna post it here, maybe it helps someone.

https://poebuilder.com/character/AAAAAgMA37CCEEmyAuMHpSych2UQWK-3MjQfAkyzBActH5UgaxdqQ8BUvOoI9NsLgh7B8zpYVcaD218q6-Q2xdgkpwi4kzLRRUfR_aeUwGaiAASz8B9o8pZ0fEvhc5o7gpvVpu087DgaOJBVJy_AGmaeWOWj8lorwxP60uNqFm826SSq-eiCxyj66-5TUkWdmuC3PkGHXsCgQohaxq74k4xGK7YQzNi9_go1krXyPydKyG6q-b0GoGSEFSAqTaQ50IFH4iLiY_165nGFRtdXlN-KbRk=

A few notes:
-Best start should now be witch, but with scion you can easily connect via the mana nodes without a big loss. Probably possible to drop Dynamo if you go for Scion (the three nodes left from scion start)

-In my opinion its not worth anymore to get Ironwood if not going bloodmagic, coz its simply too far away (8 nodes travel + 3 ironwood = 11 in the new patch, before the patch it was 5 + 3) and its better to invest elsewhere. Of course its still an Option, but a very expensive one.

-Auras should be Clarity, Discipline and Optional: Purity of fire/ice/cold/elements (needs Sovereignty passive, north of double totem passive Ancestral bond)

-With this build running artic Armour should be no problem.
Last edited by Billy88Talent on Dec 9, 2014, 1:44:13 PM
https://www.poebuilder.com/character/AAAAAgAACGeTOr0nGDz56ILHKPrr7kWdmuBTUriTpwjYJDbFHwIEB4PbVcbr5F8qTLMtH5UgwfOCHtsLMtFFR8BmBLOiAPAfaPJ8S5Z0tobtIIKb7DgnL5BVGjjAGljlZp7DE1oro_KnlF5d0f1Bh7c-_grYvTWStfJKyG6qPydkhAag-b3GrhDM_od7IPiTjEapbliveA026DpShmAOPCynSsT2rohaoEJewHGFeuZj_UbXHKcMX1Olaxe86sBUakMI9G0Z

Have been playing this build and really enjoyed , the above tree is what i will probly respec into with 1.3 .

made it to lvl 85 , I think ironwood is too important to leave out , you need strength to level your flame totem gem anyway .

This is my current skill tree :

http://www.pathofexile.com/passive-skill-tree/AAAAAgAAAnEEBwSzBVsGoAhnCPQNfBBYEMwUTRZvGDwaOBpsHwIkqij6KU8qEyu2LJwspy0fMjQy0TWSNsU26T8nQYdFnUbXSsRKyEyzU1JVxlfJWOVZ81orXcZfKmBtZIRqQ2sXbRluqnKpeGmCHoKbgseDOIPbh2WIWouMjEaQVZM6lSCa4J2Ana6iAKPypwinhKyqr7e1BLXytz64k7zqvSfAGsBUwfPDE8au2CTYvdrd2wvd8-Fz42rkIuoY6-Tr7uw47SDwH_au9zL4k_jr-b356P4K

And my current gear setup :

Pretty nice build :)
Last edited by Rogueweapon on Dec 9, 2014, 11:17:51 AM
"
shrandis wrote:
Are you going to update this guide for 1.3? I really hope you'll do that.

Yep! Bit swamped at work this week, but I've been staring at the "leaked" 1.3 skill tree a little, and I'll have a preliminary 1.3 version of the build ready before the patch hits.

I plan to use the build for the temporary HC league, too.
Okay, this is where I'm at with my 1.3 plans:

Level 86 build for the upcoming 1.3 patch

It's similar to Rogueweapon's suggestion (smaller differences). The Ironwood cluster is definitely in an inconvenient position for a non-BM build, but totem survivability becomes an issue on 75+ maps (on some 77-78 maps I had trouble with Ironwood when I tested without it), so making them beefier is a good idea and more sensible than just going for more damage. The STR nodes to get there don't hurt and this route opens up a second +30 DEX node to help while gearing up, if needed. I prefer the general 10-12% fire/elemental damage nodes over the 8% totem damage nodes.

Overall, the build benefits from the 1.3 skill tree changes. Several skill choices are optional, depending on gear. The Dynamo cluster might turn out to be unnecessary luxury, for example, and could be traded in for more HP, damage, or life regeneration. We'll have to see. It's all fairly flexible, depending on what's needed while leveling. More resist nodes are also in reach. The new skill tree makes it even easier to make individual adjustments than before.
Thanks for the posts guys.

Wouldn't celestial punishment be a very noticable dps increase, especially if flammability is used?

Also I noticed the trees you linked have lower mana regeneration and lower %hp, that's the cost of going all the way to ironwood it seems. Assuming a 6L is used, what do you think about dropping faster projectiles for totem resists gem, skipping ironwood and going for celestial punishment + some other huge dps nodes or more life?

By the way, I'm using frost wall with faster casting instead of conversion trap as a support spell and I'm really liking it. Apparently totem projectiles pass through it while most monsters and their attacks cannot. When faced against huge ranged groups that melt totems instantly, I can just block their attacks off with frost wall.
Last edited by shrandis on Dec 10, 2014, 5:36:52 PM
"
shrandis wrote:
Wouldn't celestial punishment be a very noticable dps increase, especially if flammability is used?

I looked at it too, but I'm unsure. The thing is (and I base this only at solo-running 76-78 maps in 1.2, can't say for groups) that everything dies really fast, except bosses, so I'm not sure if it's as big of an advantage as it may seem. Definitely something to try out, though, since it's close by anyway.

"
Also I noticed the trees you linked have lower mana regeneration and lower %hp, that's the cost of going all the way to ironwood it seems. Assuming a 6L is used, what do you think about dropping faster projectiles for totem resists gem, skipping ironwood and going for celestial punishment + some other huge dps nodes or more life?

There was some mention of map difficulty being reduced (at the higher levels), so maybe that makes the Ironwood cluster less desirable. It's something to try out and see how it goes. Dropping FPJ for the totem resists is also a good idea (great idea actually!), though I never really plan for 6L as most people won't have that. Traveling to Ironwood comes after every other skills have been obtained anyway, so it's not a priority and there's room for testing. It does feel awkward and wasteful. (The STR from the "long road" isn't needed for the gems.)

From the 1.3 patch notes:

"
Auras and aura-like effects can now affect totems.
Summoned totems are only affected by auras that affect defensive properties.
Summoned totems still use their summoner's skills. In order for an offensive aura to have an effect, it must affect the summoner, not the totem.

So, Purity of Elements suddenly became interesting. Without much number crunching, I think we can ignore Ironwood, fit PoE on the character, and grab some cost reduction nodes + other stuff. Very preliminary, gotta play with that some.

What do you guys think of this?

Level 90 build with Purity of Elements/X

edit: Mark confirmed that Discipline will give the totems an energy shield, too.
Last edited by Mivo on Dec 12, 2014, 2:04:50 AM
Thanks for the update! Haven't really played much in the past year, but plan on starting the new league with your updated build. Kind of confused though, are there less skill points from quests now? Wouldn't your level 90 build be 100-18(from quests)-2(from bandits)+1(no skill point at level 1) = Level 81 and 86 be 97-18-2+1= Level 78? Sorry for the dumb question if I am misunderstanding something haha.
Welcome back to the game. :)

You're right! It is 117 points at level 100 without bandit rewards. With bandit rewards, it is 120 points at level 100. This build gets two points from bandits (and the 40 HP).

I fixed the links. Let me know what you think. I believe the proposed build without Ironwood is the superior approach. There are various points that are optional and dependent on one's gear. I may have planned with too many mana reg nodes, for example. This is good news, because it allows for more flexibility and means that one doesn't have to actually get to 90 to "finish" the build. I'll provide leveling trees in the next few days to make this more transparent. Would like to collect more feedback on the proposed 1.3 build first, though!

This is still preliminary, but I think we are getting there! +143% life is definitely much better!
Last edited by Mivo on Dec 12, 2014, 2:02:54 AM

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info