[v1.7] 39k+ DPS with INFERNAL BLOW, +239% life, +6.8% regen, +145% armor, TRIPLE curses + blinds!

Your build was great before, but you need to actually try melee splash before you make judgements about it. Until you've played with it, you just can't properly compare.

A boss pack dies faster with melee splash. You target the boss, the splash kills and explodes all of the surrounding normal monsters, which kills the boss. The explosion chaining isn't just useful for leveling trash (which obviously dies faster with splash).

Trash killing speed is important also. On a map you're still going to spend more time killing trash than you will killing bosses.

Now a lone boss with no trash around is obviously going to die slower, but I don't see how that is at all a big deal, as that situation is a small minority of the total time spent on the map.
Last edited by magicrectangle on Apr 22, 2013, 5:52:18 PM
"

Trash killing speed is important also. On a map you're still going to spend more time killing trash than you will killing bosses.

Yes, but if those are mostly one-two-three shotted, I don't see how that's an issue.

Clearing a group of melee creatures, eg. zombies, would take roughly 5-8 attacks in a full party, I'd say.

I don't understand how melee splash could hasten that, gotta try at some point.

Still, the single target DPS is diminished by it.
Composer, sound designer, game designer, producer, gaming journalist, gamer.
www.soundcloud.com/Artifex28
Last edited by nocebo on Apr 23, 2013, 6:12:36 AM
I was thinking about using blind with flame totem + faster casting + faster proj

Could be pretty good considering that you deal many hits. And you also deal some damage because you've got fire nodes
Well, you wouldn't be able to run elemental equilibrium that way.
yeah in party it's probably a bit messy anyways.
I mean lightning skills are widely used
"
Simonsworld wrote:

I don't see how the party effects your gameplay?

Well, sure. Fire based party would work best with this build. :)
"
nocebo wrote:
"
Simonsworld wrote:

I don't see how the party effects your gameplay?

Well, sure. Fire based party would work best with this build. :)

Elemental equilibrium just isn't particularly party friendly. Especially since most parties will have lightning damage looking to proc shocks.
Hello!

What are your opinions on fire penetration?

I recently watched this vide: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=21oY3S2ZtHE in which he states that fire penetration makes fire resistances to 75% and from there curses reduce the resistances of the mob. Wouldn't fire penetration be a good support gem in this build?
"
Korinthian wrote:
Hello!

What are your opinions on fire penetration?

I recently watched this vide: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=21oY3S2ZtHE in which he states that fire penetration makes fire resistances to 75% and from there curses reduce the resistances of the mob. Wouldn't fire penetration be a good support gem in this build?

It's not worth it, since we already have so much fire penetration via the curses + EE.

You'd just lose damage by using it.
"
Korinthian wrote:

Either you misinterpreted what he said, or he explained it wrong.

Curses will be applied first, then fire penetration.

Monster's resists are capped at 75%, just like players. But also just like players, they can have over-stacked resists. So a monster could have 130% fire resist, but it would be capped to 75%. Max rank flammability (-49% fire resist) reduces the resists from 130% to 81%, and it is still capped at 75%. In this case flammability has done nothing at all (other than increase chance to ignite).

However, with 130% fire resist, a max rank fire penetration gem will treat it as 75% fire resist, reduce it by 35%, for a final fire resist number of 40%.

If you used flammability and fire penetration, it would be reduced from 130% to 81% by the curse first, and then fire penetration would take the 81%, treat it as 75%, and reduce it to 40%.

For this reason, there really isn't much synergy between penetration and -resist curses. Penetration is more reliable, since curses may do nothing against a heavily over-stacked monster, but you lose tons of potential damage you could have gotten from an extra support gem, and nothing is going to be so over-stacked on resists that 2x curses + elemental equilibrium can't break it.

edit: checked the video, he explained it right, he even straight up tells you flammability isn't good paired with fire penetration. He's chosen to go the fire penetration route instead of the curse route, which is fine, but obviously less powerful than double curse + extra support gem.
Last edited by magicrectangle on Apr 28, 2013, 10:27:43 PM

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info