Another veteran timer...sorta

So I thought about this while noticing a lot of new forum subs getting beta keys and older members crying foul as they anxiously waited for their coveted invite. Now before I get flamed for this I am in total agreement their is no perfect way to make everyone happy. I mean let's be honest....if Chris and the gang gave everyone keys there would almost certainly be a que and a whole new trollfest would begin.

So my idea is pretty simple. Start a second timer coinciding with the random one that begins with the oldest subscriber giving him an invite. I think this would help alleviate some of the grumblings going on in this forum, and make a whole bunch of vets happy campers. You could space out the invites how ever long you want or maybe only allow those vets that have posted in the last two to three months.

I know GGG have recently stated they want to increase the closed beta invites leading up to the open beta and I truly believe this would be an excellent way to do that. Now before you flame me with your Trollish Torch of Everburing +1 you can see I have only been here since early August so I would be nowhere no close to receiving an invite.

P.S. Any grammatical errors can ne blamed on my two year old trying to mash my keyboard while I type this! Kid is a future gamer in the making.
I am kind of against that idea, since I favor activity over join date. It's very possible that the majority of people never visited the site (base it on last login date + join date combined, not just join date) after logging in and/or joining long time ago.

Many people signed up long ago and never came back, or came back very recently.

My idea as stated in my first paragraph is to base it on last login date + join date combined, and not just join date. With that, they could weed out the inactive veterans, and keep the active veterans for the selector.

It's all a matter of dimming down the list of possible participants in the selector so that you can increase the possible chance of each active veteran getting in by a large amount. The smaller the list, the higher the chance. :)
Yea Viney I see your point, and am in partial agreement with you. That was why I suggested only inviting those veterans that have contributed to the community in the last couple months. Hell I don't know enough about programming to know if it is even possible to write that into the script for the timer. I just think there needs to be some way to get active vets into the beta.
I'm no expert in any scripting, but I'm fairly sure that they would only need half an hour to write up a basic script that filters out everything it should.

"Look at it this way: The longer it takes before you get your key or the game goes to open beta, the better the game will be when you finally get to play!"

quote from Garr0t

Last edited by jamesthing on Sep 18, 2011, 5:01:59 PM
Um...how is it random if...its preselected like that partially?
If "ifs" and "buts" were candy and nuts, wouldn't it be a Merry Christmas?
or turn off the timer for a weekend, and make a post.. first 200 people to post get a beta key. if you dont post, too bad. if your active enough to check the forums on a weekend then good for you
"
Mahaney wrote:
or turn off the timer for a weekend, and make a post.. first 200 people to post get a beta key. if you dont post, too bad. if your active enough to check the forums on a weekend then good for you

Only flaw there is the manpower to send invites to everyone like that, and repeating this would only take up more precious resources that I think everyone would agree to have placed rather in the production of this game than letting people in.
If "ifs" and "buts" were candy and nuts, wouldn't it be a Merry Christmas?
I agree with Viney1, just because your'e a veteran and signed up like a year ago and posted something on the forums 2 times doesn't make you more fit to be a part of the beta.

If anything it should be based on activity.
Si vis pacem, para bellum
"If you wish for peace, prepare for war"
Also they did have two timers a while ago if im not mistaken.
Si vis pacem, para bellum
"If you wish for peace, prepare for war"
Last edited by Citus on Sep 18, 2011, 7:00:58 PM
There's no real easy answer.

I agree it would be nice to see some of the older members get keys, but like someone else said many people signed up a long time ago then never came back.

I don't know what the answer is, and I doubt anyone really does.

Sadly I've more or less given up on getting in to the beta. I still troll the forums and login a couple times a day, but I'm more and more pragmatic..

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info