Invasion = path of ranged again

"
Artanthos wrote:
"

increase dominus 2nd form melee dmg and reduce the bubble size. there, melee OP

Dominus 2nd form is trivial.

It's the damned lightning from his 1st form that causes me issues. Shrinking the bubble and doubling his melee damage would not change that for me.

Yeah, his second form is completely underwhelming. Even Piety in fire form deals more damage. IMHO he should deal Kole-level damage in second form, that would make it actually a challenge. But then people will complain it's a gear check (and it will be, to some extent).
The Wheel of Nerfs turns, and builds come and pass, leaving memories that become legend. Legend fades to myth, and even myth is long forgotten when the build that gave it birth comes again.
"
Bars wrote:

But then people will complain it's a gear check (and it will be, to some extent).

And rightfully so. Dominus 2nd form is just bad boss design, irrespective of how much damage it does. It could do no damage or oneshot everyone, it would always be bad game design.

A boss that you simply defeat by standing inside a bubble and single-targeting him down is about as bad and unimaginative of a boss as I could possibly even imagine.

He has no real special abilities the player has to dodge (unlike his first form or vaal), no real thought required.

Designing gear check bosses is always silly and ultimately lazy, when there are so many interesting boss mechanics (that require skill and thought to beat) that GGG could come up with instead.

Simply ramping up damage numbers doesn't make the game itself more challenging, it only requires players to farm longer for better gear. How you truly make a game more challenging is by introducing interesting boss mechanics that test player's reflexes and character control and not this "we are being lazy and ran out of ideas so here is a boss that just attacks you, you defeat him by standing inside a bubble and single-targeting him down" - nonsense.
#1 Victim of Murphy's Law.
Last edited by SlixSC on Mar 10, 2014, 10:16:23 AM
A fair point. I can't really argue with that.
The Wheel of Nerfs turns, and builds come and pass, leaving memories that become legend. Legend fades to myth, and even myth is long forgotten when the build that gave it birth comes again.
Melee characters are much more dependent on gear. That's reason why I started play ranged spell caster and until now (47) I didn't skip any boss. Actually reason why I am playing invasion is because I enjoy killing bosses. After rip, I will continue with my character in standard league but definitely don't wanna loose this funny aspect.

The problem with melee vs. range balance is that you can build super tanky range character which can also kite mobs compare to super tanky melee character which must go close range with all the risk (surround by enemies, more desyncs, more stuns, etc.)
There should be bigger advantage for melee than just slightly bigger life leech.
Last edited by Langhun on Mar 10, 2014, 10:35:21 AM
"
"
ancalagon3000 wrote:
I refuse to alt f4 and I rarely have desync issues.

Why would you refuse to alt+f4? Chris has clearly stated that logging out in a HC league is a feature/part of the game that is intended to be there.

Because it's a pathetic way to play. Why bother playing HC if you are going to logout at the first sign of trouble?
"
Midnitecloud wrote:
"
"
ancalagon3000 wrote:
I refuse to alt f4 and I rarely have desync issues.

Why would you refuse to alt+f4? Chris has clearly stated that logging out in a HC league is a feature/part of the game that is intended to be there.

Because it's a pathetic way to play. Why bother playing HC if you are going to logout at the first sign of trouble?
Oh, probably you should play d3 hc, which made for pussies. You slowly kill white mobs with tonns of survivability on lowest difficulty possible, because if something happened - you CANT LEAVE. And PoE HC allows to play agressively with no hp nodes. I cant even imagine poe races with logout timer, rofl. Results would me 10 times worse than now.
alt art shop view-thread/1195695
t.me/jstqw for contact
"
ancalagon3000 wrote:

These bosses are crazy yeah, but at least now we have a true hc league ... OS sucked and nemesis was meeh. Storm call, corrupted blood and volatile were the only scary things.

true HC?

OH PLEASE this loser scripted logout league that keeps character with items after death you call true HC?

how laughable.

Perma Death with items completely removed out of the game and logout timer of 10 seconds

then we can have a talk of true hardcore.
Last edited by zzang on Mar 10, 2014, 11:40:47 AM
"
zzang wrote:
"
ancalagon3000 wrote:

These bosses are crazy yeah, but at least now we have a true hc league ... OS sucked and nemesis was meeh. Storm call, corrupted blood and volatile were the only scary things.

true HC?

OH PLEASE this loser scripted logout league that keeps character with items after death you call true HC?

how laughable.

Perma Death with items completely removed out of the game and logout timer of 10 seconds

then we can have a talk of true hardcore.

I would be very surprised if GGG made it perma-death, but the 10 sec logout timer is an excellent idea.
"
Bars wrote:

I would be very surprised if GGG made it perma-death, but the 10 sec logout timer is an excellent idea.

Yes! someone that gets it

Lets see how many scrub loser wannabe elitists will brag about HC after a logout timer.

"
SlixSC wrote:
He has no real special abilities the player has to dodge (unlike his first form or vaal), no real thought required.

Vaal, for some builds, is even easier than Dominus 2nd form.

As a summoner, it is massive AoE that cripples me. Dominus 1st form, Temple Piety, a lot of the corrupted area bosses.

Having different strengths and weaknesses for different builds is a good thing. It does mean, however, that balancing is more difficult than ranged vs melee. Not everyone falls neatly into one of the two categories.
Any fool can criticize, condemn and complain and most fools do.
Benjamin Franklin

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info