POE beta scheduled to start in August

"
mustache wrote:

the two aren't mutually exclusive. MMO describes the style of online play, i.e one persistent world filled with thousands of players. RPG describes the type of MMO it is, namely a roleplaying one

This world is instanced like Diablo 1, 2. The towns have a higher player cap but the instances have a capped number of players (currently 6). So this game is not a MMO in the style of WOW where thousands of players can be in the same instance.
RIP Bolto
"
Covert wrote:
"
mustache wrote:

the two aren't mutually exclusive. MMO describes the style of online play, i.e one persistent world filled with thousands of players. RPG describes the type of MMO it is, namely a roleplaying one

This world is instanced like Diablo 1, 2. The towns have a higher player cap but the instances have a capped number of players (currently 6). So this game is not a MMO in the style of WOW where thousands of players can be in the same instance.

wrong it isnt like diablo at all. it's more like guild wars. which is an mmo. I never said it was an mmo in the style of wow, i said it was an mmo.

An mmo is an mmo because a massive amount of people can be in the same world. This is true for PoE if i understand correctly, thousands of people can meet in the town to trade. Also there is a PvP server where everyone is in the same instance as well afaik

i dont get why people assume wow=mmo=wow

wow wasnt the first mmo, and certainly doesnt define what an mmo can be.
Last edited by mustache on Jul 11, 2011, 5:36:40 PM
"
mustache wrote:
"
Covert wrote:
"
mustache wrote:

wrong it isnt like diablo at all. it's more like guild wars. which is an mmo. I never said it was an mmo in the style of wow, i said it was an mmo.

An mmo is an mmo because a massive amount of people can be in the same world. This is true for PoE if i understand correctly, thousands of people can meet in the town to trade. Also there is a PvP server where everyone is in the same instance as well afaik

i dont get why people assume wow=mmo=wow

wow wasnt the first mmo, and certainly doesnt define what an mmo can be.

I just used WOW as an example, it could have been DDO or any other MMO. I define an MMO as having a massive amount of people in a constant world, not an instanced world such as D2 and POE (sure POE is a wee bit different in that it has a higher player cap in towns) but it is still not a constant world containing a massive amount of players. The players are removed from town(effectively the lobby from D2 but with trading) and put into an instanced world where they are isolated.

RIP Bolto
PAX Prime last week of August (when Runic Games may announce reelease of Torchlight 2)

D3 beta seems likey mid - late August

POE beta first week of August

what a great month !

August seems like the month of the ARPG.

The guys at Crate might even do a limited alpha of their game Grim Dawn in august.
Happy Days Abound.
Last edited by Silver on Jul 11, 2011, 6:51:51 PM
"
mustache wrote:
This is true for PoE if i understand correctly, thousands of people can meet in the town to trade.

There's higher player caps, but not thousaneds. Not even hundreds. Maybe a dozen or two, but not much more, the towns aren't exactly giant.
"Instead of praising what you do not understand, try understanding what you do not praise."
- Charles L. Haeldrik
I'm sure i read something on IGN recently that stated the closed beta would start soon so here's hoping.
Yeah you all wait for beta but when it starts you aren't sure you'll get key so you can play this game only when it open start.
That's why this sucks
YEEA ME TOO.. PLEASE SIGN ME IN. THERE,I BEGING..!! Sorry for my bad English..:)
Last edited by atkecar on Jul 21, 2011, 12:18:38 PM
"
An mmo is an mmo because a massive amount of people can be in the same world. This is true for PoE if i understand correctly

No you don't. Read more on this forum or google to find out the difference.

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info