[1.1.0] TankyTotems - Dual Searing Bond Templar

I'm definitely going to be using this build for the new league; so I had a quick question. I'm still relatively new to the game, so please forgive me if I'm asking a dumb question.

But I don't understand why you have 2 traps? I understand using the shock nova to shock stack. But then you also have the ice nova trap for EE. What I don't understand is why you can't just use the shock nova for both shock stacking and EE at the same time?

Also, as was mentioned above, why not just use a lightening trap with multiple traps?

I'm also wondering if perhaps there was anyway to not have to goto all four corners of the passive tree? It is clear to me that you have a pretty good understanding of all of this and so I'm not criticizing; but would there be anyway to run an endgame build without EB and IR? Maybe going with clarity and 1 aura with extra ES?

I don't know, just thinking. Anyway, thank you very much for getting this guide out right before the new leagues start. Much appreciated.
Last edited by Grimtol on Mar 1, 2014, 2:54:02 PM
Just wanted to make a quick observation. Now that I've taken a look at the quest reward system side by side. I think I'll probably be picking the witch over the templar.

The witch seems to get more of the skills that are needed as early game quest rewards then the templar does. She is also able to spec into EB sooner and can arrive at Ancestral Bond around lvl 32; which if not in a race is still pretty on point with the beginning of act 3.

I'll be playing in the new standard league, not hardcore; so dying isn't an issue for me; so I think it will be a little easier as a witch; but it's not a big deal. I just don't want to have to wait and try to trade for needed skill gems; if I don't have to.

Plus, in late act 1 to early act 2; I'll be already trying to stack as much IIR as possible; so taking EB as fast as I can will help with keeping my mana issues at bay with my neck and ring slots tied up with gold IIR gear.
Last edited by Grimtol on Mar 1, 2014, 3:37:25 PM
Is there a particular reason why you pick up iron reflex? It just seems so out of the way points wise
"
Grimtol wrote:
Just wanted to make a quick observation. Now that I've taken a look at the quest reward system side by side. I think I'll probably be picking the witch over the templar.

The witch seems to get more of the skills that are needed as early game quest rewards then the templar does. She is also able to spec into EB sooner and can arrive at Ancestral Bond around lvl 32; which if not in a race is still pretty on point with the beginning of act 3.

I'll be playing in the new standard league, not hardcore; so dying isn't an issue for me; so I think it will be a little easier as a witch; but it's not a big deal. I just don't want to have to wait and try to trade for needed skill gems; if I don't have to.

Plus, in late act 1 to early act 2; I'll be already trying to stack as much IIR as possible; so taking EB as fast as I can will help with keeping my mana issues at bay with my neck and ring slots tied up with gold IIR gear.

I don't like the Witch start as you either have to go through some flask nodes or es nodes in order to get out. The other direction puts you through spell damage which doesn't affect Searing Bond.

Mana shouldn't be a big issue at all early on. Just run 2 life flasks, 2 mana flasks, and a quicksilver and you should be fine. No need for EB.

@Fluffysaurus
I kind of want to take out Iron Reflexes but the amount of armour is pretty substantial against the smaller hits in the late game, even with Arctic Armour. There's quite a noticable difference in not running it. If you can get enough armour, though, then I definitely think getting rid of IR is an option.

There's also plenty of life on the way there, too.
Current IGN: twitchtvTheuberelite

http://twitch.tv/theuberelite - I stream sometimes.
Can someone explain me why nobody uses fire penetration?
All theses 6% fire dmg nodes arent worth the point?
Can i run dual curse with eleweeknes and the firethingy curse?
Fire penetration doesn't work with searing bond, only increase burning and IIR work (minion & totem elemental resist too) .

The 6% nodes are worth the skill points, but when you can get 30% burning damage "first", then it is way more better. Look at Holy fire and the 2 previous node, a total of 60% damage on 3 skill points, the 6% fire damage is of no interest... Until you can get only those 6%.

And, the witch "Fire Walker", which is 12%, is good, but you need 3 skill point to get there, so it's worth less than Immolation just before...

Dual cursing, fire and ele weekness is great!

@TheuberClips
The devourers doesn't react on minions and totems. I know it (hate those thing). But, maybe it was because I played and listen at your twitch at the same time. But I tough I heard you "died" and when I look, I saw you in town... So I "tough" you died. And then, saw you were in a place with no devourer. If you didn't died against anything else than devourer, I'm sorry to said you did.
I think it was at promenade and the one with rhoa... Both are "charging" mob...
Last edited by rlvladbob on Mar 3, 2014, 11:34:01 PM
"
Grimtol wrote:

But I don't understand why you have 2 traps? I understand using the shock nova to shock stack. But then you also have the ice nova trap for EE. What I don't understand is why you can't just use the shock nova for both shock stacking and EE at the same time?

Also, as was mentioned above, why not just use a lightening trap with multiple traps?

The idea is to throw/trigger the ice nova first in order to lower the mobs resistances for lightning damage. So when you throw the shock nova trap / lightning trap it will do more damage. This is helpful because "The base duration of shock is proportional to the damage dealt by the initial hit of lightning damage relative to the target's maximum life." (http://pathofexile.gamepedia.com/Shock)

This is also the reason why you might not want to use multiple traps on the lightning trap as it lowers the damage dealt and thus decreasing shock time. Theoretically you might be able to shock enemies multiple times for a shorter duration if the traps trigger one after another but I am not sure how that works out in practice and how long the duration shock duration will be if you go for it.

Shock Nova with Trap support gem is better when you have quality on it because it gains chance to shock and shock duration for each percent quality.

Both traps will have the same effect on the enemies fire resistance.
I forgot do add: Thanks for the build :)
I am currently level 76 as a scion on hardcore with this build. Once I had the main pathways leveled it allowed me to be very flexible. I had always immediate options to increase my defensive stats or my damage. I had little to no gear on hardcore as I played mainly softcore up until now but that really wasn't too much of a problem.

From the patchnotes it looks as if SB won't be nerfed at all. The Scion area did get some hits though. I'll have to see if the scion lifewheel nerf forces me to seek out for new life clusters to stay safe with mediocre gear in a fresh league.
"
kaotisch wrote:
I forgot do add: Thanks for the build :)
I am currently level 76 as a scion on hardcore with this build. Once I had the main pathways leveled it allowed me to be very flexible. I had always immediate options to increase my defensive stats or my damage. I had little to no gear on hardcore as I played mainly softcore up until now but that really wasn't too much of a problem.

From the patchnotes it looks as if SB won't be nerfed at all. The Scion area did get some hits though. I'll have to see if the scion lifewheel nerf forces me to seek out for new life clusters to stay safe with mediocre gear in a fresh league.

Apparently Chris said low levels will be nerfed on ZiggyD's stream, but I think with Templar, you should end up with something very viable for leveling still. Just focus on get burn damage earlier. Glad you're enjoying the build though :)

And yeah, shock nova has insane quality bonus, thus why I use it.
Current IGN: twitchtvTheuberelite

http://twitch.tv/theuberelite - I stream sometimes.
Last edited by TheuberClips on Mar 4, 2014, 2:41:55 PM
Now that I start hitting mid-level maps I think it could also see a slight buff in higher levels while it is obviously op for leveling.
Still like it a lot though :)

Edit: That's even with a 3 linked searing touch.
Last edited by kaotisch on Mar 4, 2014, 3:08:22 PM

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info