Critique My 1st Build

This is my first build for PoE, and any critiques would be greatly appreciated.

It is for a 1h + Shield Marauder, hopefully flexible enough to use axe, sword or mace.

Points are slotted into block, life, and resists for maximum tankiness, and to avoid weapon specialization. Some points are put into Dex for use of axes and swords.

Build link
build seems decent but usually ppl get enough resists from gear that its not needed from passives.
build seems decent but usually ppl plan with 95-100 points because leveling becomes very slow and time-consuming at ~ lvl 80
IGN: Eric_Lindros
CET: Timezone
Last edited by Ludvator on Feb 10, 2014, 12:57:11 PM
Thanks for the tips.

I moved some points out of mediocre resists (mostly on the right side of the tree). This allowed me to move farther up the left-hand side, and grab some more life and shield nodes.

Will work on a 100 point build.

Revised build link
Last edited by Thrumdi on Feb 10, 2014, 3:58:17 PM
looks very tanky. is it for hardcore or SC? Or are you going to tank only for your party members with dps spec?

Builds usually need some damage passives, especially with 1H+Shield setup
Even if you don't want to choose between sword/mace/axe right now, you should really take some melee physical dps nodes and 1hand damage nodes or it'll take you forever to kill anything....
You have unwavering stance so block recovery is unnecessary. I feel that the points you put into life regen on scion's left side(3, +12hp) and duelists lower side(2) could be put into something better. Unfortunately for non-crit spectral throw builds, damage is quite low. Your dps will be heavily based on your weapon so finding upgrades pass 200+ dps will get increasingly expensive. This means you'll have to rethink taking so many block nodes and have some in damage nodes. Like Templar's Crusader or Duelist's Water Dancing(as an alternate route to Iron Reflexes which allows you to get mana, acceleration, and leather/steel). Since this is your first build, a 90-point tree would be more reasonable.
Yep, the plan is for this to be the tanking build for my group.

We haven't gotten too far though, and are still in Standard.

Is it a feasible group tank build for endgame?

And is it possible to pick up enough DPS from gear to make soloing bearable?

EDIT: Thanks for the pointers on Unwavering Stance and Block Recovery. I'll see if I can put those points into DPS.

Last edited by Thrumdi on Feb 10, 2014, 5:00:47 PM
"
Thrumdi wrote:

Is it a feasible group tank build for endgame?

I would say yes. You will need some kind of rapid life gain. I have good experiece using fast claw weapon with +15 Life on hit implicit property and reave+multistrike+fastera attck+Life on hit

edit: this is ofc only when you dont worry about your damage. Im sucessfully using it with my RF/life build

"
Thrumdi wrote:

And is it possible to pick up enough DPS from gear to make soloing bearable?

probably not. too expensive
Last edited by Ludvator on Feb 10, 2014, 5:23:06 PM
I don't know the first thing about melee, so everybody in this thread has a more informed opinion than I would, but here's my 102 pointer if it gives you a different look, although it may be garbage.

http://www.pathofexile.com/passive-skill-tree/AAAAAgEAAecFLQY5CTMM9xLhGlUe3yQlJ-0ppTWSPC1KyE4qT1ZXDWBLYSFuqnKpdO15wHrvguSE74jxiq-QEZHOoLSpbqxZrKqsr7M_tfK2Qb68w4bE9sbY0TbZYeeR6dXu2fPd-6r-CnzZn8unMPe-GS58uzrYLdLFiq9s8B-0-aIAxq63PmxGcmwyCT8nX5hZbR2-pBkb-iXfhNlY225pvqfSTcAP1e1qk1Pfm4M26CUnXUlnm9SPKS57jGSj0iGezedjZU1HfqvFhykUIFBH

you'd actually save points starting scion or duelist, and would get to iron reflexes and some good nodes a lot quicker -- in the case of scion, I'd bridge at steel skin, then clean that up with some respec points later on.

you can put all these trees into poebuilder to see how the stats shake out.

one thing you really need to think about is your mana engine, and auras -- ok, 2 things...and ruthless efficiency....three things....
do you plan to run bm gems on skills and use mana entirely for auras?

think I'd prefer the 100 point scion
but you'll be short int for tempest shield

http://poebuilder.com/#character/AAAAAgAAAecFLQY5CTMOPBLhFCAZLho4GlUb-h2-Ht8l3ycLJ-0ppS3SMZ4yCTWSNug6UjrYOuE_J0ZpR35KyE3jTipPVlBHU99XDVivWNtZbVnzX5hgS2EhZKNlTWqTbEZuaW6qcmxyqXTtdgh4DXnAeu982YLkhNmE74jxiq-QEZBVkc6bg57Nnz6fy6C0ouqkGaZXpzCnhKluq8WsWayqrK-zP7XytkG-p768wA_AGsOG0TbSIdJN1e3ZYedj55HsOO7Z8933vvuq_o8=

edit: I forgot it's your first build and you don't have scion -- maybe start duelist?

you might want to think about checking out the class subforums, or just google 'max block builds poe'
Last edited by EomMage on Feb 11, 2014, 11:16:21 AM

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info