Cheap builds for beginners

Ok I wanted to make a thread listing all the builds viables for new players. Keep in mind it will always be work in progress. I'll apreciate input and, more importantly, contributions, so I can feed this thread to make it as complete as possible. To be listed, a build must have:
- decent description of the build (eg: not only the passive tree)
- total cost around 10 chaos gems or below on standard league (or equivalent price in another league)
- average defence and good offence or opposite or better
- optional: easy to average difficulty to play

The main goal is to provide a list of very first builds.

Not much builds for the moments but it will get better over time. Don't forget to contribute!

Very cheap builds

Duelist

Marauder

NinjaArabStrategist's 1.1.0 [Newbie Friendly] MARAUDER MELEE BUILD v5.1
http://www.pathofexile.com/forum/view-thread/73072
One of the best first character because it's very cheap.

Ranger

applepudding's Budget Physical-Life-Lightning Arrow Ranger/Scion
http://pathofpoe.com/builds/view/budget-physical-life-lightning-arrow-ranger/

[1.0.2]PewPewPews Official Cheap Flicker Strike build!
http://www.pathofexile.com/forum/view-thread/681179

Shadow

Templar

Witch

[1.1.0/SC] Qhorrin's Blinding Dual-Totem, Dual-Curse CI EE Summoning Sporker
http://www.pathofexile.com/forum/view-thread/633100

Cheap builds

Scion

General useful guides

Gleaming_ghost_glues's ST leveling -- my gear of choice
http://www.pathofexile.com/forum/view-thread/765267

Notes

- Please, post the URL link of the build and make sure it got the above requirements. That's all I'm asking.

- If you have a specific question about a build listed here, for your own good, post it in the thread of the build. If you have a general question (eg.: this bild vs this build), you might post it here but you won't necessarely get an snswer.

Spoiler
test
Last edited by turqoise on Mar 11, 2014, 8:17:42 PM
Any Spectral Throw build is fairly newbie friendly, IMO
What are GCP's even worth? I never really seen anyone asking to buy them (on Domination anyway).

I'd say a build under 20 chaos would be newbie friendly, maybe even totaling 1 exalt from lv1 1 to say 65/70. 20C is easily obtainable through 1 playthrough, and I should know since I was able to make that much my 1st playthrough without selling anything. Dual strike is probably the cheapest skill that can dish out good damage for a Duelist, and even my dual claw build only cost around 20 chaos total, and I'm lv79 atm doing lv66-72 maps and farming piety fairly quickly, but that's because I did my homework.

The hardest thing I think new players face is the link hurdle. Getting past 4 links into a 5 link is kinda rough, and will be for almost every build. Decent to good gear is everywhere, and cheap (1-3 chaos), but a good 5 link is probably the most difficult to obtain, which makes a huge difference offensively.

Aside from builds, which are mainly just tree guides for noobs, gear will make a huge difference, so OP should have some "recommended Gear" section. Probably won't have all these until your 2nd char, but they are great leveling gear. Some cheap uniques off the top of my head that I use to level some of my other characters:
-Brightbeak (pretty much clears all Act 2 normal, maybe even Act 3)
-Mightflay (clears majority of Cruel rather easily)
-Last Resort (Easy Act 1 normal with 2 of them!)
-Crest of Perandus (Fidelitas will die~)
-Slitherpinch (amazing survivability)
-Wurm's Molt
^total: 6-8 Chaos

Merciless is pretty much the only difficulty where you should start getting decent Rare's instead of these uniques. Though, spell users might have a hard time early on, at least I am with mine, really difficult to get any decent damage and am stuck on merveil with her. A witch guide with a skill combo(not tree) that is great early one would be appreciated!
-[2.0] Tokyo's CoC Hybrid Damage Frostblader ---> view-thread/1401907
-[2.0] The Samurai (2H Crit Katana Wild Striker) ---> view-thread/1368690
-[2.0] Dyadus Elemental Wild Strike - Cheap and Beginner friendly! ---> view-thread/1394595
Brilliant idea. I've been wanting a guide "compendium" like this since I started.

I'm currently running a 100% self-found EK EV Shadow through HC at the moment; I'll post here when I'm either in late Merciless, or dead, with progress and viability.
Allright, thanks for the first replies. Keep in mind that the OP is a draft. Like I said, the goal is to list all the very cheap but viable builds. So, peoples, send me the links and I take care of the rest.

@ kaross579

Good idea. Can you point out one or some build links. Will check them and include them if they fill the bill :). Thanks

@ Fangs

Ok, for the value, you are right, I changed it. For the moment, I will focus on the very cheap builds. later on, I might include some slightly more expensive builds. Someting at the level of a very first scion build (in other words, a very inexpensive second buid so I can include scions builds). So I will change it for 10 chaos for the moment and, later on, I'll make a 1 exalted section. Just curious, do you agree with this currency exchange rate page [Removed by Support]? Thanks for the idea.

For the gears, I agree with you that the gap is between 4 and 5 links. I have a lvl66 marauder (the one listed in the OP) and I haven't found a single 5L item... That being said, I won't make a Recommended gears section. Good idea but that belong to the guides. The goal of this thread is to make a simple list, just like Bada_Bing's Witch Builds List (http://www.pathofexile.com/forum/view-thread/549763).

@ SponTen

If you make a build guide, probably better to create a new thread and post the URL here so I might include it in the OP. Thanks a lot!

Ciao all
Last edited by Jake_GGG on Feb 16, 2014, 10:40:26 PM
For the witch (but also works with Scion) any Summoner build should be quite good, easy and cheap with the recent changes of the 1.06: better scaling with gem level, new skill gems that serve as great buff and better effects of the nodes.
Until late game (so high lv 72+ maps) is quite cheap and can be played with 4L.
And snapshot isn't really needed until higher level maps.
I used Rathik summoner build wich is quite easy and cheap.
Agree, summoner builds are great for starting with no/few resources and very safe.

I posted a build guide for a dual-totem summoner in the Witch forums.

No uniques required (but some cheap ones help), no 5L/6L required. Most gems are given as quest rewards.

One caveat - you'll probably have to zerg Dominus. Although the situation may be better now, I haven't tried Dominus as a pure summoner since the recent buffs.
@ Qhorrin

Added, thanks.
Added a ranger build.
My Templar build is very cheap (see current gear). Possible to solo 70+ maps with less than 1 ex worth of gear (I'm self found).

http://www.pathofexile.com/forum/view-thread/105920/

Edit: my guide is written for the new player, and I always answer questions.
Last edited by Sovyn on Feb 10, 2014, 10:01:05 PM

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info