Class diffences with skill gems

In path of exile skills are aquired through skill gems so if thats the case how are classes much different from each other not including their starting stats and appearance ofcoarse.

Will it be through class specialized equipment(weapons, armor, gems .ect) and/or will be through development of passive skills to allow one class to develop more effective down one branch then another class. please give some input on this subject as it is importent for each class to feel different and I do want to see this game take off.
At the moment, each node in the passive skill tree provides base attribute increases. How much you get in each attribute depends on what class you are.

For example:
A witch putting a point into an int-based passive will receive +8 int, +2 dex, and +2 str. A marauder allocating a skill point in the same passive skill would only receive +4 int instead of +8.

This translates later on into equipment and skill choices as they often have base stat requirements that prevent you from using them unless at least partially specialized in that area.
"You'd take a eunuch like me?"
This was a good question and cleared something up a bit for me as well :P. Did not realize the base stats on the passive skill tree altered from class to class.
Each Gem is aligned with a certain statistic, and has associated requirements in that statistic that increase at higher levels, for instance, a marauder may be able to use low level blue (intelligence) gems, but will not be able to support higher levels of those gems without investing into intelligence passives in the passive skill tree.

But when a marauder invests into intelligence passives, he doesn't gain as much intelligence as a witch or templar.

In the future there are plans to move the classes further out of the center towards their associated attribute too, so the marauder will have to invest extra points to work over towards intelligence.

There are also plans to add passive effects on the classes to make them unique, such as maybe giving the witch a bonus from level 1 with wands so she is better with them than any other class even though other classes can use them.
"
SirDimos wrote:
For example:
A witch putting a point into an int-based passive will receive +8 int, +2 dex, and +2 str. A marauder allocating a skill point in the same passive skill would only receive +4 int instead of +8.

What does a non-full stat class get (templar)? Does the marauder only get int (in your example the witch gained off stats as well)?

I'm curious how 'class-less' it really is. Can a marauder actually use an int skill effectively?

"
Elgonn wrote:
"
SirDimos wrote:
For example:

What does a non-full stat class get (templar)? Does the marauder only get int (in your example the witch gained off stats as well)?

I'm curious how 'class-less' it really is. Can a marauder actually use an int skill effectively?

A Marauder gets +8 str, +2 int, +2 agi when investing in strength skills

A Marauder gets +2 str, +4 int, +2 agi when investing in intelligence skills

A Marauder gets +2 str, +2 int, +4 agi when investing in agility skills

A Templar gets +6 str, +2 int, +2 agi when investing in strength skills

A Templar gets +2 str, +6 int, +2 agi when investing in intelligence skills

A Templar gets +2 str, +2 int +4 agi when investing in agility skills

That should explain it all, you should be able to extrapolate from that. It may of course change in the future. But that is how it is.
Another way to look at this is: apart from these stat point gain differences (and starting stats) there are no mechanical differences between the classes.

All classes have full access to the passive skill tree/forest.

All classes can equip all skill gems and all equipment (providing they meet the stat requirements).

So rather than choosing a class you'd like to play, you could approach class selection by asking "What part(s) of the skill tree do I want to invest in?" and then pick the class that gets you the best stat point gains based on your selections.

It's for this reason, that the classes all feel pretty much the same at early levels at the moment, but one gets the impression that the classes will be tweaked up to give each their own "feel".
Last edited by Akiata on Sep 15, 2011, 12:00:25 AM
Cool, didnt realize that
....._______
..../...........\
...|.............|_____...._........…
...|......o................V..VVVVV..\
...|.............________________/
....\_______/

KEYSUS

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type