Anyone know the complete formula to calculate burning damage?

"
Radjehuty wrote:
now lets say I have a total of 150% increased fire damage combined from gear/passives and 150% elemental damage nodes. Does this mean in my calculation that it would be 300% fire damage?

So I'd do 1000 * 0.2 * 4 * (1 + 2.8 + 3) = 1360 total damage?

I case you found Ludvator's (otherwise perfectly fine) formula a bit hard to swallow, the basic idea is this: base fire damage of your hit first gets modified by all bonuses that apply to the hit and then burn gets increased by all bonuses that can apply to fire damage over time.

Fire damage, elemental, AoE, projectile or generic bonuses will apply in both instances (if the initial hit was inflicted via AoE or projectile those properties carry over to ignite), but attack, spell or DoT damage bonuses can apply only on one side. That's because those are base damage types and mutually exclusive, no damage can be attack and spell or spell and DoT at the same time, even Crown of Eyes doesn't give spell property to your attack, it most likely just forces a certain type of mod to apply.

So, having 150% fire/ele damage won't increase your burning damage by 300%, it will be
2,5 * 2,5 = 6,25
which is a 525% increase.
Wish the armchair developers would go back to developing armchairs.

◄[www.moddb.com/mods/balancedux]►
◄[www.moddb.com/mods/one-vision1]►
Last edited by raics on Mar 1, 2015, 5:28:10 AM
"
raics wrote:
"
Radjehuty wrote:
now lets say I have a total of 150% increased fire damage combined from gear/passives and 150% elemental damage nodes. Does this mean in my calculation that it would be 300% fire damage?

So I'd do 1000 * 0.2 * 4 * (1 + 2.8 + 3) = 1360 total damage?

I case you found Ludvator's (otherwise perfectly fine) formula a bit hard to swallow, the basic idea is this: base fire damage of your hit first gets modified by all bonuses that apply to the hit and then burn gets increased by all bonuses that can apply to fire damage over time.

Fire damage, elemental, AoE, projectile or generic bonuses will apply in both instances (if the initial hit was inflicted via AoE or projectile those properties carry over to ignite), but attack, spell or DoT damage bonuses can apply only on one side. That's because those are base damage types and mutually exclusive, no damage can be attack and spell or spell and DoT at the same time, even Crown of Eyes doesn't give spell property to your attack, it most likely just forces a certain type of mod to apply.

So, having 150% fire/ele damage won't increase your burning damage by 300%, it will be
2,5 * 2,5 = 6,25
which is a 525% increase.

Thanks for this explanation though it still seems a bit odd for me to understand conceptually because it seems like these stats are double-dipping the burn damage directly. Since the 150% fire damage is directly affecting the initial hit and then is applied again to calculate burn. It seems so strange that if Burn is based on 80% of the damage of your initial hit over 4 seconds, it would make me think that 150% increased fire damage wouldn't be multiplied again on top of that. Now I think I understand when people say burn is OP lol.
"
Radjehuty wrote:
Now I think I understand when people say burn is OP lol.

By itself, ignite is weak as Kalrathian ale, have you ever been killed by it? :)

The reason it works is the one you noticed - it's quasi-double-dipping of certain mods combined with the sheer number and magnitude of mods we can pile up on it. Technically it's not double-dipping but it sure works that way.

Still, I wouldn't really call it OP, ignite builds are strong but with ignite it's complete dedication or bust, while shock and freeze work for any build that does a decent amount of cold or lightning damage.
Wish the armchair developers would go back to developing armchairs.

◄[www.moddb.com/mods/balancedux]►
◄[www.moddb.com/mods/one-vision1]►
Last edited by raics on Mar 2, 2015, 5:16:56 AM
"
raics wrote:
"
Radjehuty wrote:
Now I think I understand when people say burn is OP lol.

By itself, ignite is weak as Kalrathian ale, have you ever been killed by it? :)

The reason it works is the one you noticed - it's quasi-double-dipping of certain mods combined with the sheer number and magnitude of mods we can pile up on it. Technically it's not double-dipping but it sure works that way.

Still, I wouldn't really call it OP, ignite builds are strong but with ignite it's complete dedication or bust, while shock and freeze work for any build that does a decent amount of cold or lightning damage.

True, I just assumed that we aren't killed by it because they balanced it out that way. Just seems odd that even after the FB nerf they can still 1-shot entire mobs even in 6-person parties and if they don't the ignite will kill within seconds. Feels strange how its calculated but i guess it works. Thanks for the help :D
"
Radjehuty wrote:
True, I just assumed that we aren't killed by it because they balanced it out that way. Just seems odd that even after the FB nerf they can still 1-shot entire mobs even in 6-person parties and if they don't the ignite will kill within seconds. Feels strange how its calculated but i guess it works. Thanks for the help :D

Well you are 1-shotting with a spell that you cast for 3 seconds base and then you have to wait for the burn. In that time you could probably cast 10 Freeze Pulses or something. But yeah, it's still strong.

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info