Anyone know the complete formula to calculate burning damage?

Assume my initial hit deals 100 base fire damage from a spell, and it crits.
Crit multi is 150%
I have 50% increased fire damage, 50% increased spell damage, 50% increased burn damage.
Now anyone tell me how much burning damage per second after all these modifiers?
Please give me the whole formula and the result, thanks!
IGN: Standard/FuheiRabbit; Ambush/I_Dont_Need_Pants
Last edited by ChaoticLemon on Jan 23, 2014, 9:43:51 PM
Damage dealt * (Sum of applicable increased damage effects) * .2 for 4 seconds.

Burn damage is not spell damage (IIRC).
IGN - PlutoChthon, Talvathir
"
Autocthon wrote:

You clearly did not answer my question -.- I want COMPLETE FORMULA.

TBH I first thought yours is the correct one, but this means %increase fire damage is calculated TWICE in final burning damage. First in calculation initial hit, then burning damage. There is no other damage modifier or skills like this, so I really don't think it is the correct answer.
"
ChaoticLemon wrote:
Assume my initial hit deals 100 base fire damage from a spell, and it crits.
Crit multi is 150%
I have 50% increased fire damage, 50% increased spell damage, 50% increased burn damage.
Now anyone tell me how much burning damage per second after all these modifiers?
Please give me the whole formula and the result, thanks!

100*(50%+50%)*1.5 = 100*2*1.5 = 300 fire dmg dealt

normal burn dmg = fire dmg * 0.2 per second for 4 seconds
increased burn dmg = 300 * 0.2 * 1.5 per second for 4 seconds

Final burn dmg = 90 per second for 4 seconds
English is not my first language.
"
ChaoticLemon wrote:

TBH I first thought yours is the correct one, but this means %increase fire damage is calculated TWICE in final burning damage. First in calculation initial hit, then burning damage. There is no other damage modifier or skills like this, so I really don't think it is the correct answer.

It's the correct one. It's true that the same modifier can't apply to the same chunk of damage twice, but it is not the case here, initial hit and burning from ignite are different damage instances, even though they are connected.

'Increased physical damage' on puncture also works like that. Now, these mechanics were all implemented in that dot patch, but fire resistance was always 'applied twice' on ignite, and yes, on 75% resistant enemies you really do only 1,25% of initial damage per second.
Ever wondered why ignite was always a joke when enemies inflicted it on you? Simple, initial hit needed to cause serious ignite would squash you like a mosquito.

And it's not really open to discussion, it hasn't been just tested, the mechanics are well-known and were provided/confirmed by devs.
Wish the armchair developers would go back to developing armchairs.

◄[www.moddb.com/mods/balancedux]►
◄[www.moddb.com/mods/one-vision1]►
Last edited by raics on Jan 24, 2014, 8:47:31 AM
"
ChaoticLemon wrote:
"
Autocthon wrote:

^See raics^

And that is the full formula. Since the only two effects that are applicable are burn and fire damage effects I don't see why you'd need the whole (1+Fire Damage Increas+Burn Damage increase). You obviously surmised what bonuses should be effecting it in your original post.
IGN - PlutoChthon, Talvathir
"
raics wrote:
"
ChaoticLemon wrote:

It's the correct one. It's true that the same modifier can't apply to the same chunk of damage twice, but it is not the case here, initial hit and burning from ignite are different damage instances, even though they are connected.

'Increased physical damage' on puncture also works like that. Now, these mechanics were all implemented in that dot patch, but fire resistance was always 'applied twice' on ignite, and yes, on 75% resistant enemies you really do only 1,25% of initial damage per second.
Ever wondered why ignite was always a joke when enemies inflicted it on you? Simple, initial hit needed to cause serious ignite would squash you like a mosquito.

And it's not really open to discussion, it hasn't been just tested, the mechanics are well-known and were provided/confirmed by devs.

Thanks.
"
Autocthon wrote:
"
ChaoticLemon wrote:
"
Autocthon wrote:

^See raics^

And that is the full formula. Since the only two effects that are applicable are burn and fire damage effects I don't see why you'd need the whole (1+Fire Damage Increas+Burn Damage increase). You obviously surmised what bonuses should be effecting it in your original post.

Thanks.
"
raics wrote:
"
ChaoticLemon wrote:

I know it's a bit old but I hate to make a new thread if there's something already here. I'm somewhat new to burn builds and I'm trying to understand how to calculate this.

First of all, if fire damage nodes and bonuses from gear get counted twice with burn damage, does that include all "Increased elemental damage" and "Increased spell damage" nodes?

So far, lets say I have an initial hit of 1000 fire damage.

Increased burn/dot damage multiplier of 280% from gear/passives

now lets say I have a total of 150% increased fire damage combined from gear/passives and 150% elemental damage nodes. Does this mean in my calculation that it would be 300% fire damage?

So I'd do 1000 * 0.2 * 4 * (1 + 2.8 + 3) = 1360 total damage?
you want complete formula?

non-HoA:

burn per second = 0.2 * base fire damage * (1+ sum of all aplicable increased hit damage) * more hit damage 1 * more hit damage 2 * ... * more hit damage N * (crit multi in case it comes from crit) * (1 - enemy fire resist) * (1 + sum of all aplicable incresed enemy damage taken) * (1+ sum of all aplicable increased burn damage) * more burn damage 1 * more burn damage 2 * ... * more burn damage N * (1 - enemy fire resist) * (1 + sum of all aplicable incresed enemy damage taken)

youre welcome

IGN: Eric_Lindros
CET: Timezone
Last edited by Ludvator on Mar 1, 2015, 5:02:49 AM

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info