Veil of the Night Helm - - - Need some good feedback :)

Veil of the Night

"
Saffell wrote:
Global defenses are Armor, Evasion, and ES.

Given the above information the helm is worthless, no point in discussing any kind of real use for it.

Spoiler
I was looking at this item trying to see how the item is supposed to fit into any particular build. (Assuming that items this specific are designed with a specific concept and build possibility in mind)

It seems most likely that it is set to go into some kind of blocking build with absolutely no resistances on any items since the head gear essentially is +60 res all and resistances are capped at 0%.

The only way it seems viable to pull this off is to have a high block percentage shield with a very high spell block since we all know that having much less than 50% resistance can be suicide, and even below capped resistances feels that way sometimes.

Basically Id love some ideas/feedback on where/if this would fit in.

My thoughts - A comment noted that max block is 75% but the real key would be getting to a 75% spell block to make it a viable item.
Spoiler

Since I dont fully understand how Global Increased Defenses works, I would assume that to be viable this must apply to everything Armor, Evade, Dodge, Block, Spell Block, Block recovery ES Recovery/max and anything else (regeneration -life/mana? I dont think thats a defensive stats)

If this were the case, then the viability seems to only come from an extremely high block and spell block build.

My assumptions of trying to understand how this helm would come into play

Based on high block builds assumes 70% total PD block
Spoiler
Assume 70% Shield Block (nodes + shield etc, maybe I'm a little high, but Im assuming a max shield block build)
Assume 50+20+12 Spell block (Ammy, low roll Rainbows, Node) = 82% of block

So the default would be 70% block and 57% Spell block

Now if the helm is middle of the line 20% global increase to defenses then
would it apply to the totals of everything as a last option? (if anyone has one to test that be great)

So shield block would go up by 70 * .2 = 14 (70+14) To 84% block
Spell block would be 82% * .2 = 16.4 (82+16.4) To 98% of block.

So the final result would be 84% chance to block and 82% chance to spell block.

So technically only 18% of spells would hit you, but they would hit like a truck, physical dmg would be laughable though with a good sized armor/evasion/energy shield buff.

Saffells numbers
Spoiler

Saffells is pretty worthless if u will be in any hand to hand combat, but wanted to run through some numbers.
Thoughts with a Saffells 110% spell block
Lets assume base block 26% and from nodes that is pushed up by 32% to 58% block chance.
Again throw on crappy rainbows and the node for a total of 110+20+12= 142% Spell block
So with this it would block 58 * 1.42 = 82% spell block

Adding on a 20% helm
58 * 1.2 = 69.6 Block
142 * 1.2 = 170 % spell block

69 * 1.7 = 100% (prob caps at 95%)
Could prob drop the Rainbow boots with a saffells.

If anyone has this helm and can test some of this out it be great to hear the results. Maybe Ill go buy one and try it. I doubt they are more than a chaos considering the niche and low level item.

The advantage to the helm is that rings would need no elemental resistance defensive stats and neither would anything for that matter, one can focus 100% on alternative suffixes.

IGN NihaloUndead
Last edited by imcooleronline on Jan 9, 2014, 7:37:55 PM
It's terrible as is, right now, but perhaps there is something that they will release later on or a secret recipe. I have one. It's total crap. when they say 20% they' mean 20%.

20% is NOTHING btw. It's in the range of random chance where you will be taking the same amount of hits and damage anyway.
"
BearCares wrote:
It's terrible as is, right now, but perhaps there is something that they will release later on or a secret recipe. I have one. It's total crap. when they say 20% they' mean 20%.

20% is NOTHING btw. It's in the range of random chance where you will be taking the same amount of hits and damage anyway.

Im not sure if you read the thoughts, but if it applies to final block chance and final spell block chance there is actually some interesting build possibilities with this helm. If one can block 80% of spells it is in some sense better than a 75% resist aside from burst (Prob not a good idea in nemesis) And we all wouldn't need to be running purity aura lol. Additionally, it could pose a large increase to ES in a sense 20% increased total energy shield. I just dont understand the Global defenses application.
IGN NihaloUndead
Last edited by imcooleronline on Jan 9, 2014, 6:05:48 PM
Full str hp MoM block build with that insane -10 max resis belt + AA.

No clue if you will survive a spell late game do :D.

But if you can, could be sort of imba in a weird way.

Edit : The block % cap is at 75%, with anvil necklace it is 78% max, this is not altered by the helmet's 20% increased defenses.
Freedom is not worth having if it does not include the freedom to make mistakes
Last edited by Boem on Jan 9, 2014, 6:06:26 PM
I need a translation to the "(18 to 22)% increased Global Defences" part.

"elemental resistances are zero"? that's pretty good for Merciless actually :)
Alva: I'm sweating like a hog in heat
Shadow: That was fun
"
Boem wrote:
Full str hp MoM block build with that insane -10 max resis belt + AA.

No clue if you will survive a spell late game do :D.

But if you can, could be sort of imba in a weird way.

Edit : The block % cap is at 75%, with anvil necklace it is 78% max, this is not altered by the helmet's 20% increased defenses.

Thanks for that block cap information. I guess best bet would be a 75% block and spell block set up with that -10% max resist belt.

I could see some possibilities with this helmet, when I first thought it was complete crap (and maybe it still is...) We really need to find out if 'global defenses' effect block and spell block, it should conceptually, but u never know.
IGN NihaloUndead
I already tried this helm on a super tanky character. It made my defenses WORSE
"
"
BearCares wrote:

Im not sure if you read the thoughts, but if it applies to final block chance and final spell block chance there is actually some interesting build possibilities with this helm. If one can block 80% of spells it is in some sense better than a 75% resist aside from burst (Prob not a good idea in nemesis) And we all wouldn't need to be running purity aura lol. Additionally, it could pose a large increase to ES in a sense 20% increased total energy shield. I just dont understand the Global defenses application.

You can already achieve 75% resist AND 75% spellblock. Don't need to gimp yourself with a crap helm (and I don't think block counts as a global defense, could be wrong).

The helm's crap. Doesn't even have enough bonus defenses to compensate for the godawful ES on it.
Read my book! The world ending in every way anyone ever thought it might end, all at once. First few chapters are available online for free.
http://www.amazon.com/The-End-World-Know-ebook/dp/B00CZ21JAQ
Last edited by TheTenthDoc on Jan 9, 2014, 7:11:44 PM
Global defenses are Armor, Evasion, and ES.
im playing a built using this helmet atm. Im lvl 55 now and playing merciless with 0 resistance.

Im playing as an tanky caster with energy shield. works very well =D

My items:

Spoiler

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info