What's the idea behind such items?

Unavailable

Talking about items which have those attributes:

- a low base dmg or def (items from normal difficulty)
- a high lvl requirement (which make them useless for low-lvl chars)
- and some great magic feats, which will be useless since normal lvl 28 items (elite items[white items with the same skin but better stats]) with average magic feats are much stronger than this.

Am I missing something important here or are these items bugged?
My little tribute to Diablo 1 aka why Diablo 3 is the worst part of the series.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zP2ejhudUlU

ig: Witchfire_The_Unholy
Some items in this post are currently unavailable.
It is just the item random generator they use. I am sure they will tweek it some before even open beta.
It's from low lvl items dropping in high lvl areas, with a high item lvl, and thus spawning high lvl requirement mods.

I don't know if this is precisely a problem, but it would be nice if there was some cutoff beyond which lower lvl gear didn't drop (so say gear 20 lvls below or something).

The current system kind of lets you farm gear for alts while lvling...but putting magic mods on that gear is likely to make it too high lvl.
I think items like the example provided demonstrate that the procedural/random item generation is working as intended and I do not think anything should be changed.

While I understand the rationale behind asking for the base item table to be modified/restricted at higher levels so this condition (high lvl mods on a low lvl base item) can't exist, I think it would dramatically alter my perception of how valuable a good high level item would be.

Having a truly random item generator makes a good/useful high level item all the more rare and all the more valuable. If useful/valuable loot drops always occurred (or drop with a high degree of regularity, which would happen with greater frequency if level restricted loot tables are used), it may also have a negative impact on the trade value of items that can be used for crafting. If I am able to get good items consistently from drops, what need would I have for crafting my own?
"We were going to monitor the situation but it was in the wrong aspect ratio."
"
Garr0t wrote:
I think items like the example provided demonstrate that the procedural/random item generation is working as intended and I do not think anything should be changed.

While I understand the rationale behind asking for the base item table to be modified/restricted at higher levels so this condition (high lvl mods on a low lvl base item) can't exist, I think it would dramatically alter my perception of how valuable a good high level item would be.

Having a truly random item generator makes a good/useful high level item all the more rare and all the more valuable. If useful/valuable loot drops always occurred (or drop with a high degree of regularity, which would happen with greater frequency if level restricted loot tables are used), it may also have a negative impact on the trade value of items that can be used for crafting. If I am able to get good items consistently from drops, what need would I have for crafting my own?

I don't necessarily disagree, in theory, but I'm going to throw in some devils advocate:

A melee class is going to need high weapon damage and mitigation by default, and a caster will not. Therefore, by allowing randomization to work in this fashion, it is much easier to gear a caster because caster stats (+elemental damage, mana leech) can be on any item, regardless of normal quality, whereas a melee character will need items with mods that are useful to him AND a good base value with which to do damage and stay alive.

In that regard, it goes from being an issue of keeping high level items valuable and becomes a balance issue.
"
Kraide wrote:
In that regard, it goes from being an issue of keeping high level items valuable and becomes a balance issue.

What he said.
"
Kraide wrote:
it is much easier to gear a caster because caster stats (+elemental damage, mana leech) can be on any item, regardless of normal quality, whereas a melee character will need items with mods that are useful to him AND a good base value with which to do damage and stay alive.

That's an interesting point. However, the basis of this position lies in the assumption that the table of all possible mods will benefit only 'caster' skill gems?

I don't think it is so much a balance issue as it is an exercise in game theory. A melee/weapon damage based character will tend to focus on primary item stats, whereas a magic/ranged damage pased character will tend focus on the item bonuses.

In my opinion, this only emphasises the variation/uniqueness and differences between the classes and playstyles one can adopt, so I don't necessarily think it is a bad thing... Someone who is playing a melee character will inherently value a strong stat base item with okay mods over the weak base item with astounding mods, whereas a caster archetype will tend to do the opposite!
"We were going to monitor the situation but it was in the wrong aspect ratio."

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info