Keeping our beta characters after release

Hello everyone!

In general, beta test characters in online games don't carry over after release. You have to start fresh once the game actually goes live.

I think a great opportunity with the league system of Path of Exile would be to NOT delete our characters once the Default and Hardcore leagues got wiped for the release but instead move them over to two seperate leagues:

"Legacy Default League"
"Legacy Hardcore League"

Obviously only those accounts who participated in the Beta could play there and you wouldn't be allowed to create new characters on those either. It would mainly be for nostalgic reasons, to be able to play the beta characters onward from time to time if anyone so desires since some may have gotten pretty high on the level ranges and got attached to those.

What do you think about that?
Last edited by Kyneugh on Sep 11, 2011, 11:09:57 AM
"
Kyneugh wrote:
Hello everyone!

In general, beta test characters in online games don't carry over after release. You have to start fresh once the game actually goes live.

I think a great opportunity with the league system of Path of Exile would be to NOT delete our characters once the Default and Hardcore leagues got wiped for the release but instead move them over to two seperate leagues:

"Legacy Default League"
"Legacy Hardcore League"

Obviously only those accounts who participated in the Beta could play there and you wouldn't be allowed to create new characters on those either. It would mainly be for nostalgic reasons, to be able to play the beta characters onward from time to time if anyone so desires since some may have gotten pretty high on the level ranges and got attached to those.

What do you think about that?

I don't think those Leagues would survive. People would get tired of seeing/trading with the same people and eventually go onto the more populated Leagues.

EDIT: It would also be a waste for GGG to spend money on maintaining those Leagues just to remember the beta.
Last edited by clubwise on Sep 11, 2011, 11:14:51 AM
I don't think there is much of a cost factor involved but If anyone working in a similar area could correct me I would be glad.

Compared to the normal leagues, the server space it would take to store them would be quite low and predictable since you wouldn't be able to create new characters.

Beta is for testing. This is not a Korean MMO, never should a game that is to be taken seriously should they have beta character carried over to live.
Is there some reason for that rule?
Well it's unfair to let current closed beta characters move into the open beta regular leagues. They'd be much higher level and have a huge head start on farming items/gems. People who couldn't get into the closed beta are left behind.

Moving them to a separate league helps somewhat, but then you're never able to trade items from your old characters to your new one, most people would recreate anyways, and there would be no people to trade with in the legacy league. It's just not worth it, really.

Just don't worry about it; closed beta characters will be wiped, and it will be worth it. I've got 20+ hours of farming on my account so far and I'm perfectly ok with it going away. I'll know what build I want next time...but honestly it's not that hard to get your build right the first time. Right now my witch is basically just "head over towards that area of the passive tree that has all the +lightning spell damage". It's a simple build ;) You pick up a stray skill here or there but it's not something that requires a ton of planning or game knowledge ahead of time.
I can assure you, with 99.99% certainty that there will be a wipe between CB-OB phase. As stated in a previous post, having a high level from CB come into the release stage will be both unfair to the majority of the community, and irritating to those trying to compete with the top ladder players, seeing as they are in such a lead with their earlier access to the game.
"
Tavar wrote:
Is there some reason for that rule?

The beta phase is a testing phase, there are usually many errors still present. This means theres a risk that in some way players may exploit bugs, get bugged characters, items they shouldn't be able to aquire etc. This one of the main reasons characters never carry over from a closed beta.

Now in an Open beta generally everything is functioning to an acceptable degree. Although many ppl still forget that it's still a beta, and that if any of the aforementioned problems were to surface in an open beta, there would be a wipe aswell. Though this is generally not the case and most significant bugs get adressed in the CB.
"
skarrj57 wrote:
Beta is for testing. This is not a Korean MMO, never should a game that is to be taken seriously should they have beta character carried over to live.

agree. this would also give the game a huge drag with new comers.
Thats a horrible idea you got mate. Much better if the newcomers arent alone in the world where everybody thats been in beta is maxed out with best shit there is.
They should and will restart the whole thing.

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info