Melee skills and % dmg effectiveness

Why?
uh...YA!...?
Finished 17th in Rampage - Peaked at 11th
Finished 18th in Torment/Bloodline 1mo Race - peaked at 9th
Null's Inclination Build 2.1.0 - https://www.pathofexile.com/forum/view-thread/1559063
Summon Skeleton 1.3 - https://www.pathofexile.com/forum/view-thread/1219856
If I had to guess, I'd figure mostly for balance between the melee skills and probably because of short races.

Some skills would probably be overpowered early if they were at 100%.
Well it does the same on ranged attacks too, Split Arrow is 80% effectiveness. I believe the logic is simply to make sure the AoE attacks are less effective than the single target attacks, or that certain attacks with strong side effects are weaker than more straight up attacks and so on. It's a way to balance the damage of the abilities based on their effect because there's is no other number to tweak since attacks use weapon damage. On spells, they'd just reduce the value of the damage done by aoe spells vs single target spells and be done with it.

The concept seems sound to me, the numbers might be off on a number of abilities however.
Well, spells don't seem to have this. If I recall correctly.

I get the basic idea of it, like GS has 70%, but why does sweep have 75%. To me, this should be more like each subsequent enemy hit get -5% dmg.

Something. I've noticed this recently as I've been playing melee more,and if it were about balance, I believe many of them have swung far, far, to much in the less dmg direction.

Even if none of them were less than 100% melee would still be doing less dmg than ranged so....
Melee has all the potential to do more damage than range.

Only melee has a support that grants high +physical dmg, which works with all conversion damage too (bow users are stuck with added fire). Melee users have the strongest single attack in the game in Heavy Strike, which is 150% dmg effectiveness !

Melee AoE is designed to hit all melee targets in its range with ease, compared to multiple projectiles attacks which may fail to hit because you didnt "shotgun" it right or the enemy moved (lesser problem considering most enemies are slow moes). I don't feel bad about <100% dmg effectiveness, it's quite balanced.

But with all of this said, "shock" and chain support (also called "auto-target acquiring multiple ricochet of screen cleaning") screw any balance there might have been between range and melee... so yeah %dmg effectivness makes AoE melee users sad.
Last edited by Thalandor on Jan 2, 2013, 10:42:47 AM
Like, why couldn't GS work as FP does. Or in the opposite fashion.

100% dmg, but more dmg up close, or even the further away it gets
"
SL4Y3R wrote:

Some do, like "spark", despite their non-weapon based damage. It's just so that each projectile doesn't get full benefit of flat damage bonuses from gear and such... But yeah, it doesn't seem as gimping as melee AoE %dmg effectiveness.
Last edited by Thalandor on Jan 2, 2013, 10:55:37 AM
"
SL4Y3R wrote:

IIRC Arc, Spark and Firesorm have it (Firestorm even only 20%), but yeah it is more common in AOE attacks
Proud 5th duelist in the Jul 1 2012 Ladder Race and in the Nov 3 2012 Solo Turbo Race :D
And even prouder 4th Templar in the Nov 10 Four-hour Party Hardcore Race :P
Current OB success:
top 20 Ranger in 105 Minute Turbo Solo (S4E9)
"
SL4Y3R wrote:
Why?

Good question.

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info